Deep frying a turkey?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Deep frying a turkey?

Post by Pydpiper »

If I manage to get as lucky as some of you guys and gals I want to try deep frying a bird, I have the fryer and now, of course, some questions.
Do you toss in the whole bird done up like a chicken, or can you just do the breasts?
Any other tips?
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

I have a turkey deep fryer I have used for years. Runs on top of a propane grill. It came with a rack that runs up inside the bird. I cook the whole bird. Cook time is 3 min a pound and then add 5 min at the end. Make sure to lower the bird into the oil really slowly and keep kids and pets away very hot oil. I also cut up french fries and cook em after the bird comes out (can't beat turkey fries).
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
dutchhunter

deep fry

Post by dutchhunter »

for years we have deep fryed are birds .but we bone out the breasts and cut them in to 1 inch nuggets then batter them up in what ever you like fish crisp works great and then deep fry for three minutes serve with favoret sauce we like honey garlic this is my kids favorite DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have a good fryer and all the goodies, I just wasn't sure if it had to be the whole bird..
So whole bird or chunks.. Sounds good!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I am not a turkey fryer. Tried it several times and quit. I used to get used peanut oil from the Chinese place in town for $5 for 5 gal and it was good clean oil.

Tried covering the bird in water to get the needed oil level, used a thermometer, all the pro tricks and ended up w/ greasy floors, half raw or half burned birds every time. I'm a frying failure, lol.

Please don't offer me suggestions for the next time, there ain't gonna be a next time, wait and give me aid I will use, lol.

It's the smoker for me or what I can cut up and get in a fry daddy.
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

A smoker huh? Never though of that, I just seen they are on sale somewhere around here, I just may have to pick one up.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

i have done a whole bird as well as wings and legs by them selves it also works great for french fries
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

awshucks wrote:I am not a turkey fryer. Tried it several times and quit. I used to get used peanut oil from the Chinese place in town for $5 for 5 gal and it was good clean oil.

Tried covering the bird in water to get the needed oil level, used a thermometer, all the pro tricks and ended up w/ greasy floors, half raw or half burned birds every time. I'm a frying failure, lol.

Please don't offer me suggestions for the next time, there ain't gonna be a next time, wait and give me aid I will use, lol.

It's the smoker for me or what I can cut up and get in a fry daddy.

I also must join the failed fryer fraternity.

I could live with all the little burn spots on my legs and arms from the hot peanut oil leaping out and hitting me every time I put a bird in the big long container.

I could live with 350 degree oil overflowing the top of the container when placing said bird into said container creating a slip and slide amusement park ride out of my driveway.

I just couldn't live with the Swede bitching at me regarding how unhealthy it is eating deep fried foods for weeks following my frying festivities.

Unlike shucks, I am open for suggestions as to how to silence her. But please offer only those that will take her out on the first attempt.

If I only wound her she will run me down like a dog and dispatch me unceremoniously in short order.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Ooops! :oops:
Last edited by Grizzly Adam on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Re: Deep frying a turkey?

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote:Do you toss in the whole bird done up like a chicken, or can you just do the breasts?
Whatever you do, 'Pyd, don't do any "tossing" ... if you value your complexion, that is! :P :lol:

I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it sounded? :!:

I prefer to cube up the breast of wild turkey, bread it with some seasoned flour, and eat it on the spot! 8)

I don't care for the legs, wings, and such at all.
Grizz
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

The instructions tell you to put the bird into the pot then fill pot to where the bird is covered, pull the bird out and record the lvl of water left in pot, that is how much oil to put into the pot to cook the bird. My brother smokes turkey and it great much better than the deep fryer.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
michiganman

turkey

Post by michiganman »

you can cube up the breast and use deep fryer or cast iron skillet.also a great flavor is use ranch dressing as marinate for 30 minutes to a hr.then batter up your favorite recipe,and fry it ,or deep fry it up.great receipe,works for goose breast too
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

why deep fry when you can garbage can cook them...
heres how one i cooked up two weeks turned out...

if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Wow, a fraternity of fryer failures! Properly done, it's great stuff, I've on occasion been in the presence of greatness and pigged out.

Pyp, if you go for this, and my gut instinct tells me you will, lol, try a whole chicken 1st.

As for smoking them, I use a cheaters Brinkmans water smoker, and to further insure success, I cut the buzzards in half down the spine w/ a sawzall.

I don't much care for dark meat from poultry, so every once in a while I find turkey breasts on sale for less than their normal leg and a wing price and do 15# at a whack. I filet the meat off the sternum and either slice the end product or grind it for turkey salad, both store well frozen waiting on condiments at the time of eating them.

Last time I used the turkey fryer it was to boil out wine making supplies but that's another story. A 30 gallon one, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

why deep fry when you can garbage can cook them...
heres how one i cooked up two weeks turned out...
Isn't the bird a little dry after being cooked for two weeks????? :D