ATV Crossbow Rack

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

How do you carry your crossbow on your ATV?

In hand or in lap
6%
Soft case and slung over shoulder
6%
Soft or hard case - strapped to ATV rack
28%
Custom or commercial support rack
44%
Something else
17%

Total votes: 18

bowkaddyguy

ATV Crossbow Rack

Post by bowkaddyguy »

Last month I picked up my first crossbow at the Toronto Sportsman's Show. An Excalibur Phoenix and I think it's awesome. Now that we have an annual season here in Alberta in late October for primitive weapons, I hope to put it to good use.

While at the show, I received a ton of feedback from hunters looking for a good way of carrying their crossbow on an ATV. Taking their advice to heart, I have come up with a good solution and I just wanted to throw it out there. This system combines 2 different products - the Kolpin Gun Grip and Bowkaddy.

Remember that in some provinces the weapon has to be encased at certain times.

Interested to know what other people are doing with their crossbows during transit...
Family is my reason for loving,
Hunting is my reason for living.
mikej

Post by mikej »

i carry it either on my lap or slung over my shoulder but not in a case. and of course not loaded
lscha

Post by lscha »

Actually, I folded my soft case in 2 and laid it on the front rack then strapped the bow on top. The case contains stuff I may need. (like makeup) :roll:

I haven't put a sling on my xbow yet so there may be other possibilities there.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Don't have an ATV! :shock: :P

I use my feet. Carry crossbow in my hands. 8)
Grizz
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I use a product similar to the koplin gun grip. I dont travel far to hunt and its all private land, so I dont conceal the bow like regs may say. :oops:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
M&M

Post by M&M »

I don't I walk back to my stand and if I am lucky and get a deer I walk back to the truck and unload my quad and then haul my deer out with it. I like to try to be as quiet as I can getting back to my stand and the quad just doesn't help out in that department
M&M
mikej

Post by mikej »

koplin gun grip works great too i have used them in the past
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

M&M wrote:I don't I walk back to my stand and if I am lucky and get a deer I walk back to the truck and unload my quad and then haul my deer out with it. I like to try to be as quiet as I can getting back to my stand and the quad just doesn't help out in that department
same here... my ATV stays home unless I need it to get out a deer;) Ill walk 2 miles before using a ATV to get there :D
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hmmmmmm

Around here deer are much more alarmed at scent trails left by humans then they are of ATV scent or sound.

Many commercial deer hunting operations up North insist on taking hunters to their stands with ATV's.

But that only helps if you have someone dropping you off and then heading back out.

At the farm we will take the doe hunters we bring in out to the stands on a farm wagon pulled by a big old diesel John Deere. The deer will just stand and look at it when it passes by. They associate no danger with the tractor.

I have seen them act the same while on my Honda Rubicon.
mikej

Post by mikej »

they aren't bothered by atv's at all here either
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Mike P wrote:Hmmmmmm

Around here deer are much more alarmed at scent trails left by humans then they are of ATV scent or sound.

Many commercial deer hunting operations up North insist on taking hunters to their stands with ATV's.

But that only helps if you have someone dropping you off and then heading back out.

At the farm we will take the doe hunters we bring in out to the stands on a farm wagon pulled by a big old diesel John Deere. The deer will just stand and look at it when it passes by. They associate no danger with the tractor.

I have seen them act the same while on my Honda Rubicon.
it depends on how you place your scent trail.. it can actaully help move deer to you if you walk in the right way;) Ive just never really needed a ATV since i guess im still young and like walking. Im sure that might change once I push over 30 :lol:

Mike, Ive actaully killed 2 really nice bucks hunting a bottom right off a field my dad was picking corn in. They were coming to the sound of the combine to see what was going on. Ive heard good stories about hunting freshly cut timber also. Deer are attracted to the chainsaw sound and fresh wood/dirt smell
mikej

Post by mikej »

fresh cut timber works ok for deer but it really work wonders for moose. they love it i often see them eating the fresh tops
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

I use the Koplin gun rack mounted on my front rack. Before I got them, I used the sling over my shoulder which wasn't too bad in the open, but not very good for in the bush.
-Michael
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"