intresting morning

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

intresting morning

Post by dutchhunter »

not a bird to be seen or heard but i had three white deer walk by my blind .fallow deer from a farm up the road must have got out of there pasture.i had to thing and rub my eyes to be sure what i was seeing .i wondr how thy taste .DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

I was out your way this morning Ed...heard gobbles...but a LONG way away. Eight deer walked by where I was sitting...none like the ones you saw, though! 8)

Gotta love those days when you're turkey hunting and see nothing but deer and when you're deer hunting and see nothing but turkeys. :?

Out to Huron County on Friday...where I've actually scouted. This morning was a flying by the seat of my pants kind of morning...
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Are fallow deer found in the wild allowed to be harvested? Don't they compete with native deer for food?
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
mikej

Post by mikej »

Canabow wrote:Are fallow deer found in the wild allowed to be harvested? ?
i don't think so but i'm not 100% sure of that
Wishbone

Post by Wishbone »

Feral Fallow ??? Hhmm Might be something to that :wink:
Every moment in the woods is a gift from above, having the Excalibur with is a blessing...
dutchhunter

deer

Post by dutchhunter »

thy are escapes so in my book thy should hit the fry pan some time next week .i bet the mnr would love to know about it .thy could spread some sicknesses of somthing .i hope not thy sure look good one was pure white the other two were brown and white DUTCH
fratri

fallow deer

Post by fratri »

Did they look like this.....

We have a friend that allows us to harvest the occasional fallow deer...I took this one this afternoon on his property.......this one was taken about 40 minutes north east of my place.....where did you spot yours?
mikej

Post by mikej »

congrats on the fallow, do they not loose their antlers ?
dutchhunter

yup

Post by dutchhunter »

yes thats what thy are .the ones i seen have not got there horns yet DUTCH
fratri

Post by fratri »

mikej wrote:congrats on the fallow, do they not loose their antlers ?

Thank you...Yes I guess they do, there are quite of few antlers on the ground at his place. I am not sure when they fall off though...Some males have them some don't. I am not sure if you can tell in the picture but he deer's right antler fell off/came off as I went to grab it...I just held it in place for the photo...

I believe anyone that comes across a fallow deer should harvest it so that they cannot interfere with the whitetails...My understanding no license required for that....and yes they do taste good…:)
lscha

Post by lscha »

Are there regulations there concerning fallow deer? Is there a season or no? If someone was to take one during your regular deer season, would they have to use their tag on it?
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
fratri

Post by fratri »

lscha wrote:Are there regulations there concerning fallow deer? Is there a season or no? If someone was to take one during your regular deer season, would they have to use their tag on it?

As far as I know their are not supposed to be any free roaming wild fallow deer in Ontario, the only fallow deer are farm raised for commercial use....Sometimes they do escape from fenced in areas and my understanding is they need to be captured or put down immediately so they can not mix with our native deer....So a tag would not be necessary..... Maybe someone can add more to this, this is just my take/understanding on it.....
mikej

Post by mikej »

fratri wrote:
mikej wrote:congrats on the fallow, do they not loose their antlers ?

Thank you...Yes I guess they do, there are quite of few antlers on the ground at his place. I am not sure when they fall off though...Some males have them some don't. I am not sure if you can tell in the picture but he deer's right antler fell off/came off as I went to grab it...I just held it in place for the photo...

I believe anyone that comes across a fallow deer should harvest it so that they cannot interfere with the whitetails...My understanding no license required for that....and yes they do taste good…:)
that is just like the elk here. we seen 30 last weekend they are just starting to loose their antlers