PA may lose full crossbow inclusion

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ShootARealBow

Post by ShootARealBow »

Tenn. Equinox wrote:I abide by the states laws when I hunt and pay for my license.
I don't tell you what to hunt with or what to hunt.
I have nothing against vertical bow hunters but you don't write the
game laws , so the way I see it , if you and your pals don't like the way I
hunt or what I hunt with , GET OVER IT , WHO CARES.
I abide by the laws and pay for my hunting license also. I don't care what game you hunt or what you hunt it with in your state but my tax dollars and fees I pay to hunt do pay the salaries of the people who make game laws in the state I live in. So the way I see it, I care when someone who doesn't even live in this state, probably never will and will probably never hunt here puts their nose where it doesn't belong. That place being in something that WILL NEVER EFFECT THEM. It's the same as if you got in a fight with your wife inside your home and someone from 2 blocks away came to your door and told you that you were wrong and shouldn't argue with your wife. Get it now ? Unless you live in Pa or plan to move to Pa this is really none of your business.
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

I guess you're upset because crossbows are coming into archery season
in so many states. It does'nt bother me a bit.
Tenn.

Equinox
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

Thanks for the invite. I may bring my evil crossbow to PA and do a little
deer hunting. I guess after I leave there won't be anything left for you to hunt. :lol:
Tenn.

Equinox
ShootARealBow

Post by ShootARealBow »

I could care less what happens in other states, thats out of my control. As far as you coming to pa to hunt, go right ahead. I've been at the range with plenty of xbow wielding guys that just got their new toy with 4 power scopes that the shop owner sighted in for them. It was funny to see quite a few of them couldn't even come close to hitting an x at 20 yards. Then again though, I was only averaging about 4 out of 5, go figure. Just let me know when TN has some hunting proposals coming up so I can swing my vote over there into something that is none of my business.
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

It's a free country Robin Hood . You use yours and I'll use mine.
I hunted with a compound since 1979. Can't do it any more, so I use my crossbow. One day you will get old. What you gonna do then.
Sit in a rocker and wish you could pull a compound. :P
Tenn.

Equinox
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

ShootARealBow wrote:Unless you live in Pa or plan to move to Pa this is really none of your business.

Friends backing friends is all it is here Guess you havn't GOT IT..

I value the input and years of wisdom I get from everyone here. They have been thru all this before. I choose to use a crossbow because I choose. Thats my right... I shoot both and can shoot both equally well. I dont hunt the rifle season because of too many close calls in the Pa pumpkin patch. And yes I LIVE HERE
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Why is it a weapon that dates BC still strikes fear in the vertical bow world . :shock:
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

This same debate raged on for quite some time back when the game comission included compound bows. The long bow and recurve hunters were up in arms. Now, compound is the norm and the long bow hunter, and recurve bow hunter is rare.

How about this...

They should outlaw long bows and recurve bows because of thier lack of power and sighting opions. This increases the possibility of a wounded animal that won't be recovered.

Not really my feelings... just thought I would stir the pot a bit!!! :twisted:

How about this...

Our recurve cross bows have been around long before compound bows. They deserve a place in the woods more so than these fancy mechanical bows!!

P.S. I live in PA. I hunt in PA. I have a crossbow (new to me and I love it), a compound bow, and multiple rifles. I hunt in each season as appropriate. SO I HAVE A DOG IN THIS FIGHT!

P.S.S. To the trolls... why don't you take your pro hunting arguments to a PETA discussion board. You'll probably get a real rise out of those folks!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum, Dizinck! :D
Grizz
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

Thought we might need some of this... I got it at walmart right next to the thermacells!!

Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

ShootARealBow wrote:
Unless you live in Pa or plan to move to Pa this is really none of your business.
Au contrare..

I've hunted numerous times around West Hickory, PA.

Surely your commission does not just count noses in making a resource decision?? "Voting" on resource decisison (or who can get a very vocal) should not be the way to make those decisions. Remember the gun hutners outnumber us and they could "vote" their way into "our seasons".

Again, do you not want them to have all the information that they can lay their hands on before making a decision?

Good for spidey in shooting and hunting with a self bow BUT 95% of the hunting archers today do not. They shoot and hunt with a hight tech , high let off compound that is not a whole lot diferent than a crossbow.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
TPM

Post by TPM »

I've been at the range with plenty of xbow wielding guys that just got their new toy with 4 power scopes that the shop owner sighted in for them. It was funny to see quite a few of them couldn't even come close to hitting an x at 20 yards.
I told them they should have bought Excaliburs! :? :lol:
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

Funny how these guys show up on the board during "turkey" season... coincidence.... mmmmm... :lol:
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Spider1 wrote:grizzly, with your injury you would be able to hunt with a crossbow at any time. But to say that shooting a crossbow is nothing like shooting a rifle is ridiculous. You hold the weapon to your shoulder like a rifle, you sight it just like a rifle and you squeeze a trigger designed just like a rifle. Yes, it's more cumbersome than a rifle and it has nowhere near the range of a rifle and is similar to a compound bow. But to say it is nothing like a rifle? I have shot them, I know how they shoot. They shoot like a rifle. At their effective range, they are much easier to use in an ambush type set up. Like a rifle.
Boy . . .you are correct. Yet, way wrong. Maybe you have shot one, but, you obviously have not hunted with one. I miss my compound for various reasons. The trigger is smoother on a compound. I can hold my compound up longer. My compound is way easier to handle while easing through the woods. Overall, I'd say the compound is easier to use in an ambush situation. The compound is way easier in a stalking situation. The compound is quieter and just as fast as a crossbow.

The real advantage to the crossbow is simply the scope.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

ShootARealBow wrote: It was funny to see quite a few of them couldn't even come close to hitting an x at 20 yards. Then again though, I was only averaging about 4 out of 5, go figure.
You are not doing your buddy any favors by posting this. Matter of fact you just completely contradicted what he came here to proclaim. His intention was to convince a bunch of crossbow people that the crossbow is an advantage that should be treated accordingly, then you turn around and say the exact opposite. If you are on his payroll as a groupie you are likely about to face a pay-cut.
I hunt with a vertical bow too, my choice to pick up a crossbow was because it looked like fun, and I was right, it is. It is no different in speed or power than my vertical bow. I do have to practice a bit more to keep my form with the compound, but I do that anyways, for enjoyment. I am a healthy adult whose choice to shoot a crossbow was simply because it was an option for me, just another toy to hang on the wall.
Deer hunting comes from the heart, without skill any bow is as useless as any other, a true hunter will harvest animals with whatever they have in their hands. Crossbows don't come with a magic wand that makes deer magically appear at 20 yards, they pose no threat to any season that involves strings and arrows.
The only difference between a crossbow and a compound is that one split second before the arrow leaves the archer, the hunt is the exact same. I do primarily spend my time on crossbow forums though. I find crossbow people love hunting, vertical bow hunters love themselves. The difference is not a subtle one, by any stretch of the imagination.
The only threat bow hunters face is themselves, it is a big picture that small minds are incapable of comprehending.
I do not see your posts as trolling, I see them simply as any other opposition hunters face today. Keep in mind that crossbows are here to stay, all the kicking and screaming about someone hunting your deer is soon going to come to an end, the same way it did when those fancy wheeled bows came out, they faced the same opposition, now look at ya, you are them. Small minds have small goals.
I shoot my compound more than my crossbow, I have also taken up longbows as of last year, my opinion is based on facts, not fired up speculation from a forum based on biased hunters.
Welcome to the forum! I hope you gain something more here than a space to write in.
Last edited by Pydpiper on Tue May 12, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string