String Stretch and what is the proper brace height??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PABOWDUDE60

String Stretch and what is the proper brace height??

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

Ok, I've shot my Exomax about 100 times now. When I first put the string on it was past the second line (closer to trigger) Now it's even with the front line. Should I change the string or just twist it?? Or should I just get a couple of Boo strings? What is the proper or best brace height that everyone keeps their's at?
09 Exomax
Lumizone
Boo String
Ground Pounder Mount
Crazy Farmer Alum Camo Arrows With Bolt Cutter BHs
2016 Bull Dog 400 diablo bolts bolt cutters
mikej

Post by mikej »

just twist it up stretch is common with a new string, i like my brace height at 1 1/8"
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I like mine about 1/4th inch from the front line(next to stirrup). Either way, just keep it between the 2 lines for best performance. Its about 5-6fps difference in speed there also.. not a big deal, but it does have a sweet spot :D

as said, stretch is common.. you iwll more than likely have to twist the string 2-3 more times before it finally settles. Mine still stretches after an year.

i'd get use to that string and when you are ready order a Boo.. if you want one for hunting season, you might want to PM him to see what the turn around time is. He's a busy man :D
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

All good info, here's a tad more. When you apply twists in your string, make sure the direction is such that you are tightening the serving wraps vs loosening them.
"Eze 18:21"
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

crazyfarmer wrote:... just keep it between the 2 lines for best performance.
That's it! And if you keep it at the same place between the two lines, you're in for consistency ... and that's the key to accuracy! 8)
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

PA, here is one more tip for a brand new string

put that thing on about 2-3 weeks before you plan on shooting so it has time to break in. You should have to re twist it about every 4-5 days. Normally by 3 weeks it should be pretty much stretched. You see alot of guys get new flemish strings and put those on during hunting season. Well, while they are hunting the strings stretching. Its not enough to throw off a shot to badly, but 2-3 inches could make a difference.

its always good to have the string broken in when it counts :D

ill string my bows up about 2 weeks before I plan on using them just to make sure its seated right 8)
gad

Post by gad »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:... just keep it between the 2 lines for best performance.
That's it! And if you keep it at the same place between the two lines, you're in for consistency ... and that's the key to accuracy! 8)
I do remember well, that, when I got my exomaX, in 2004, I instaled the flemish fast flight string that comes with it, and, I keeped the string near the first line on the riser (the line that is near the rail end). The string simply was fallen of the xbow on the shots ! I figured that the loops were to big to keep that position.

So I start to make my own strings, keeping the end loops smaller. Now I can, if I want, to keep the string very near the first line, but I do prefer and have used the string exactly centered between the lines. For me, it works the best this way.
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
PABOWDUDE60

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

Thanks for the info guys. I'll twist her up and go from there. I'll get a pm into Boo so he can get me a new string made.
09 Exomax
Lumizone
Boo String
Ground Pounder Mount
Crazy Farmer Alum Camo Arrows With Bolt Cutter BHs
2016 Bull Dog 400 diablo bolts bolt cutters
mikej

Post by mikej »

crazyfarmer wrote:PA, here is one more tip for a brand new string

put that thing on about 2-3 weeks before you plan on shooting so it has time to break in. You should have to re twist it about every 4-5 days. Normally by 3 weeks it should be pretty much stretched. You see alot of guys get new flemish strings and put those on during hunting season. Well, while they are hunting the strings stretching. Its not enough to throw off a shot to badly, but 2-3 inches could make a difference.

its always good to have the string broken in when it counts :D

ill string my bows up about 2 weeks before I plan on using them just to make sure its seated right 8)
another very good tip
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

PABOWDUDE60 wrote:Thanks for the info guys. I'll twist her up and go from there. I'll get a pm into Boo so he can get me a new string made.
warning... his strings are highly addictive and cause improved accuracy which results in death to 99.9% of the animals shot at... if you can get past that, they are good strings I guess(hehe)

if I made no sense, just ignore the post :lol: :P
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »