Trying to put a suburban whitetail rig together

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

Post by mikej »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
liaf wrote:i would suggest a very old and heavy pickup truck for a suburban whitetail rig as oppossed to all those lexus and mercedes that the people are using :)
Yes ... my country deer rig is a '98 GMC Sierra ... no need to stop! :shock: :P
i thought you had a dodge?
Gray Fox

Suburban Whitetail Rig

Post by Gray Fox »

Thanks for all the input folks. Naturally, I'm not going to break any laws--I live in the subdivision in question. It covers a lot of area, there are 524 homes and the lots range from .5 to 1.25 acres with a lot of trees left by the developer. There are lots of white oaks, and five major streams, and the deer keep all the local landscape supply places very busy.

The suggestions about hunting during the week and in the mornings are very appropriate. The deer usually hold tight until all the school buses have left the area, then come out of their bedding areas along the creeks to feast on the yards of choice. I will only be hunting in areas along the streams at the back of properties where the residents want the deer gotten rid of.

Anyhow, I'm trying to plan ahead and will hopefully have some results to post beginning in early September.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

May as well talk to all the neighbors you can about accessing their property. Here in Georgia we must have landowner permission to recover our deer too. I'd hate to have a deer down and the landowner tell me "No". :shock: I can't believe anyone would refuse to let you recover it, but, it's best to ask the question so you can plan the hunt accordingly.

Good luck!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

mikej wrote:
Grizzly Adam wrote:
liaf wrote:i would suggest a very old and heavy pickup truck for a suburban whitetail rig as oppossed to all those lexus and mercedes that the people are using :)
Yes ... my country deer rig is a '98 GMC Sierra ... no need to stop! :shock: :P
i thought you had a dodge?
Indeed, I do have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500.

I haven't killed any deer with it yet. Note I said "yet" ... it's inevitable. :shock: :? :(

I also have, as noted, the '98 GMC Sierra 1500. It's sent quite a few whitetails to that great highway in the sky. I hit six last year!
:shock: Actually, they all hit me! Kamikaze deer. That's living in the country.

I also have a 1984 Ford F150.

So ... if you ever need to borrow a truck, come on down! :D
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

Anyone who would rather see deer kills on the road than on a plate with all the fixn's needs help.

I'll bet if some of the folks who dont want the deer shot had to be resposable for feeding hungry people the deer would start looking good.

seeing the look on the faces of folks when you drop off 75 pounds of fresh killed and cleaned meat for their family was a great experiance last season and had a deep affect on me to know of the folks struggling that much right here in my town.To have these great little hunting spots and not be able to go in there and manage the deer is a crime.With the crossbow and proper respect and ethics they would not even know you were there untill they sat down with the bounty God providid for them at the diner table.
Sorry had to get that off my chest.

That head will work great.
Just put it in THE spot and your good

My rig is a 98 Jeep Wrangler (Saharah)

Welcome to the forum :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd say a broadhead with a huge cut would be desirable, and I'd look for ways to quiet the bow.
Boo string w/catwhiskers - STS - heavy arrow, etc. are all good methods.

A deer can go a long way with a good hit if it is really alarmed. I've seen deer run unbelievable distances with their lungs destroyed because they were already on alert and the noise of the crossbow kicked their legs into high gear so to speak. I've also seen deer shot with a quiet bow almost react like they were curious as to what just stung them and take a couple leaps then stop and look back at where they were standing when shot until they fall over dead.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I've got it. Since they are used to human noises, play a portable radio while hunting. They won't hear the bow. No kidding. I once shot a wise old doe that was so focused on the corn kicker going around the field that she didn't even know she was hit. It was a poor hit, a bit too far back, nevertheless she went only 20 feet or so looked and watched then lay down. Got up, turned around, lay down again. Lat time she couldn't get up again. All the while my 'voice' is telling me: "don't re-cock that bow, if she hauls you'll never find her."
widowman

Post by widowman »

I'd suggest a fixed blade broadhead, such as the g5 montec.

As is the case with many urban/suburban hunts, the deer are plentiful. The problem with large blade expandables is that they are not very sturdy and replacing broken broadheads will eventually hit you in the wallet.

Also IMO, large blade heads don't kill deer any faster. I have shot dozens of deer with narrow heads and have only had to track a handful. In most cases I watch them fall, often is less than 50 yards.

It's all about placement. One thing to remember when hunting areas with high deer numbers is that opportunities will present themselves. There should be know reason to rush a shot or take shots at less than perfect angles.