Trying to put a suburban whitetail rig together

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gray Fox

Trying to put a suburban whitetail rig together

Post by Gray Fox »

I have the opportunity to hunt a couple suburban areas that are overrun with deer. I had joked with a friend a couple years ago that once the people driving the Lexuses and Mercedeses started hitting deer they would want action, and now's the time.

I've got a Phoenix with Vari Zone and factory flemish strings, and I am more than pleased with what I can do with it. The range will be 10-20 yards so no problem there. I'm trying to come up with an arrow to do the most damage, and am thinking of the Grim Reaper on a 2219 with about 20% FOC and Blazers. I will use a string tracker and will plan on having to move quickly to recover the game.

I know that what I need is a 12 ga slug, but we know that's not possible. Any comments or recommendations will sure be appreciated. Thanks, GF
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum, i think the shot placement is going to be more important than the arrow combination for a quick kill and fast recovery. i like the 2219's myself and i use 125 grain spitfire mechanicals. if you want a fast kill i would look to something with a wide cut.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I was talking to my dentist the other day and he has 10 acres that he wants me to hunt. I'm going to check out his place in the fall. He says the property is loaded with deer. I've found that it's not the amount of land I have access to hunt, it's the number of deer on the land that counts.

I'll be using the wide cut, 3 blade, Rocket Stricknines. I haven't had a deer make it past 30 yards after being hit with the Stricknines. Should save you some string.

Check out their website.

http://www.trophyridge.com/broadheads/

Take a look at their buckblaster . . .if your shots are short range shots, then that bad boy broadhead is a good choice. All that cutting surface . . .that will drop 'em.

Good luck!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

dutchhunter

deer hunting

Post by dutchhunter »

well i wish you all the luck .i would try the rage broadhead i just love them and with thw two inch cut hard to beat DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
liaf

Post by liaf »

i would suggest a very old and heavy pickup truck for a suburban whitetail rig as oppossed to all those lexus and mercedes that the people are using :)
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
DForester

Post by DForester »

First deer I ever shot with a bow was in the spine. No tracking involved. I was 15 I did not understand what all the tracking fuss was about. Then the next year I drilled one through the heart and it ran 30 yds and left three drops of blood. It took three lanterns and four people to find him in the thick brush at night. You need allot of cutting surface to create as much damage as you can. Plan for the worst then you will not be let down.

-Ted
Don Forester
Equinox 09
Michigan
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

liaf wrote:i would suggest a very old and heavy pickup truck for a suburban whitetail rig as oppossed to all those lexus and mercedes that the people are using :)
Yes ... my country deer rig is a '98 GMC Sierra ... no need to stop! :shock: :P
Grizz
huntone

Post by huntone »

Some of the best deer I've seen in my area are suburban ones. As Mike said, shot placement is very important. I would hunt mostly on the weekdays and early mornings if you can.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Hi5

Re: Trying to put a suburban whitetail rig together

Post by Hi5 »

[quote="Gray Fox"]I have the opportunity to hunt a couple suburban areas that are overrun with deer.....................quote]

If you haven't done so, check out whether you are even legal to hunt there. Some local government authorities don't allow discharge of firearms, archery, or even sling shots.

There's bound to be some tree huggers in your neighbourhood. You don't want to run afoul of the law, and loading up a dead deer, or tracking a mortally wounded one, will bring you loads of attention.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Mike P

Re: Trying to put a suburban whitetail rig together

Post by Mike P »

Gray Fox wrote:I know that what I need is a 12 ga slug, but we know that's not possible.
The crossbow is the ultimate urban whitetail weapon of choice in my book. Fast and quiet.

I find that many tree huggers have a change of heart when they get the repair bill for the deer/auto impact. They also start to change their tune after all that expensive landscaping gets decimated by the deer.

Urban hunting for me is the ultimate. You walk out of the door of your house and the hunt is on. And the urban bucks can just be spectacular.

There is nothing better then climbing out of your tree stand and being able to sit at your table and have dinner a scant fifteen minutes later.
munch

Post by munch »

i shoot carbon arrows with slick tricks .last year shot 3 deer and none ran more than 30 to 40 yards they work real well and if you are going to have close shots you will have no prob. good luck munch
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Forget the string, can screw up flight/accuracy. Just get whatever your bow shoots best ans SPINE them, keeping your shots close for max accuracy. Heart shot deer can go a ways with a big hole in em. Last thing you want is a dying deer on someones lawn and you holding a string on the other end.
DForester

Post by DForester »

Cossack makes a good point if the deer ends up lying in little Susie treehuggers sandbox. Momma treehugger is going to have a line attached to your bow. Not good. Also; at least in Michigan you have to ask for permission to remove the deer from the landowner, Plus you have to have permission to discharge a firearm including a crossbow withing 500 ft of a neighbors home even if you are on your own property. Keep in mind 500 ft is a long ways almost 2 football fields. Best bet to hunt weekdays in the morning, weekday evenings kids will be running around people will be mowing grass dogs barking a total goat rodeo. no piece at all
Don Forester
Equinox 09
Michigan
mikej

Post by mikej »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
liaf wrote:i would suggest a very old and heavy pickup truck for a suburban whitetail rig as oppossed to all those lexus and mercedes that the people are using :)
Yes ... my country deer rig is a '98 GMC Sierra ... no need to stop! :shock: :P
i thought you had a dodge?