heavy recoil

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bait pile willie

heavy recoil

Post by bait pile willie »

my mossberg 535 with 31/2' shells kicks like a mule.the only good thing is you dont have to shoot it too often.would having the barrel ported reduce significant recoilt to justify the cost or would it just reduce muzzel jump? would a sims recoil pad help overstock one? maybe 3" shells are the answer.
Grizzly Adam

Re: heavy recoil

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bait pile willie wrote:maybe 3" shells are the answer.
Willie, it's been my observation that many gunners and riflemen alike are in general badly afflicted with a sort of mental disease called magnumitis.

While it's symptoms are many and varied, magnumitis always manifests itself in this strange (and unverified) suggestion: that bigger is always better!

Some of the side effects of magnumitis are:

Bruised shoulders
Ringing ears
Terrible flinching
Empty wallets

I know I'm treading on controversial ground here, but it's always been my belief that you can't kill 'em deader than dead with a magnum ... but you certainly can do yourself and your shooting ability a lot of damage with one.

Just remember that many game populations in many areas were eradicated long before anything as potent as many of our "magnums" was in general use.

All that said, a really good recoil pad can make a considerable difference in perceived recoil.

Personally, I don't like the horrific muzzle blast and noise produced by porting, but that's just me.

Take all of this for what it's worth! :D

PS: I killed my biggest turkey ever (28 lbs. and a beard and spurs that wouldn't quit) with a 2 & 3/4" shell, and a traditional full choke, with an ordinary pump gun, at 40 yards. Can be done! 8)
Grizz
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I quit shooting mine. The extra payload isn't worth the pounding my shoulder took. Having shot birds at 45 and 50 yards with Winchester 3" tungsten loads I don't think any more is necessary. BTW a Limbsaver butt pad will help some.
TPM

Post by TPM »

Well said Grizz. I always refer to it as "Magnum Mentality". It has plagued the rifle world for decades and it now infects all shooting apparatus. I used to hunt with a guy who, after several years of shooting deer at close range in hardwoods, decided to buy a rifle in 35 Whelan (basically a 30-06 necked up to 35 cal.). His thinking was "There's now way they're going anywhere after being hit by that!". There also wasn't a whole lot of good meat left. :?
The 3 1/2" craze started when steel shot was the only no-tox alternative to lead and it was being mandated in a lot of areas. The theory was that if you loose the ballistic-per-pellet performance using steel instead of lead just load more pellets. That was true and it helped the killing power of crappy early steel loads but things have changed since then. The performance of steel shotshells has improved greatly over the years and there are other no-tox alternatives that actually perform better than lead (if you can afford them :shock: ). The best way to reduce recoil in a 3 1/2" gun is to shoot 2 3/4" or 3" shells. There is nothing you can hunt that can't be cleanly killed by a 3" shell. There are very few waterfowl hunters I've known who even got through their first box of 3 1/2" shells before switching back to 3". In my opinion the increased cost and increased recoil of the 3 1/2" shell aren't worth the slight ballistic advantage.
As for porting, it will reduce muzzle jump a bit but it won't reduce in-line recoil (the painful part!). It will also reduce the number of guys who will hunt with you as the increased noise for people on either side of you can be painful. My advice? Get a good recoil pad and switch to 3".
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

This was probably one of the most informative posts about shot gun loads and porting that I have read and seeking info since January.

That way I dig this forum.

Far better than the rest!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
saxman

Post by saxman »

My 835 ulti mag is ported and with 3.5's there is NO taming them.
I switched to the 3"

I call it the land cannon
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

saxman wrote:I call it the land cannon
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

"FIRE!"

:P :lol: :P :lol:
Grizz
dutchhunter

3.5 inch

Post by dutchhunter »

i have a 535 as well thy do kick like a mule but only whe target shooing .i shot a nice bird the other day and never even heard the gun let alone felt the recoil .i just love this gun DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
mikej

Post by mikej »

well said grizz
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

And I've always liked the 10 Ga. I had an Ithaca Mag 10 for a while and got stupid and traded it for another rifle. I love the rifle but miss the Ithaca. Couldn't come up with the bucks for another one but purchased the New England Arms single shot 10 Ga to get me by. Lot of difference in kick between the two. But I have learned this, they do not kick near as bad when you are shooting at game versus targets :lol:
Why ride when you can walk!
dutchhunter

10g

Post by dutchhunter »

i to love the 10g .the first turkey gun i had built was a H&R singel shot 10g i had rifled sights welded on her .boy o boy would she ever shot .but the recoil was amazing you did not want to have your shoulder up agains a tree when ou pulled the trigger it would surly break the bones .it was crazy . i am loking at an SP10 right now at are local dealers it is a used one the new ones are priced like thy are made of gold well over 2 k if i can save up some more pennys i am have this gun DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The SP-10 has no recoil in comparison to a 3 1/2 pump 12 gage, it is also significantly softer than a 2 3/4" 12 gage.
10 lbs of gas gun eats the recoil up before it gets a chance to make it's way to the shooter.
I have a SP-10, nice one too, ported and polished.. :D :roll: :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

Pydpiper wrote: I have a SP-10, nice one too, ported and polished.. :D :roll: :D
that sounds like the one boo used to have :lol: :lol:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

mikej wrote:
Pydpiper wrote: I have a SP-10, nice one too, ported and polished.. :D :roll: :D
Shhh.. I think he forgot I have it.. :wink:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mikej

Post by mikej »

Pydpiper wrote:
mikej wrote:
Shhh.. I think he forgot I have it.. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: