Broadhead style recommendation for turkey hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

greenjoytj

Broadhead style recommendation for turkey hunting

Post by greenjoytj »

I have not shot an arrow at a turkey before and would like some recommendation on the type or style of broadhead to use.

I see 2 main styles:

1) - a standard deer hunting head like excalibur's "Boltcutter" with which you would aim at the body (vitals ) of the bird.

2) - a huge 3 or 4 bladed gobbler guillotine style with large fixed blades that stick out and would cut 4" hole if pushed through paper. The hunter would aim only at the neck of the bird attempting to lop off the birds head.

Users of either type please state your experience with these heads.
08 Equinox, #1989 string, FireBolts with NAP QuikSpin ST Speed hunter vanes, 150gr. Boltcutter BH's, Lumi-Zone scope.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The guillotines are a tough go from the Excalibur, to big. Rumor has it they don't fly straight either.
My preference is my deer heads, not that I practice with any of this, but hear me out..
Anything you already have faith in will work fine, I would suggest putting a grappler on them though, not just to slow the arrow but to keep the bird from taking wing. The grappler will not affect the arrows flight in a normal shot, but it will help keep the arrow in place for that magic moment.
Or.. just tie a rock to the shaft and hope for the best, apparently that is acceptable too. :wink:

The guillotines videos of decapitation are simply awesome!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Pydpiper wrote:Or.. just tie a rock to the shaft and hope for the best, apparently that is acceptable too. :wink:
ROFLOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You make me laugh, David! Love your sense of humour! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Boo

Post by Boo »

VixChix wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:Or.. just tie a rock to the shaft and hope for the best, apparently that is acceptable too. :wink:
ROFLOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You make me laugh, David! Love your sense of humour! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moni, David is being serious. Don't laugh, he gets real quiet when people laugh at him! :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
schnarrfuss

Post by schnarrfuss »

I took 2 birds this year with archery equiptment. The first for me. A jake at 12 yards with my Exomag and a gobbler at 18 yards with my Browning Illusion compound bow. For both birds, I used the NAP Gobbler Getter. Both birds were recovered within 15 yards. The one shot with the Exomag was a complete pass-through. The one shot with the compound stayed in the bird. In my opinion, you can't ask for better performance than this.
"Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's much more important than that."

Exomag-Lumizone-Thunderbolts-Slicks-
Blasers-GroundpounderMount-CustomBooString

Bowtech Destroyer Compound Bow Fully Loaded
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

But we don't have any rocks in Carolina's Coastal Plain ... would a pine cone do? :?: :P :wink:
Grizz
Normous

Post by Normous »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
But we don't have any rocks in Carolina's Coastal Plain ... would a pine cone do? :?: :P :wink:
Pyd would sort through a basket of pine cones with a grain scale and calipers to find the right ones.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

You guys just keep it up, I am getting some other ideas for the pine cones.. :shock: :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string