BOLTS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

barrierreef1972

BOLTS

Post by barrierreef1972 »

Hey guys,

Just joined the forum! Great site. I have a 2008 Equinox with a STS system and custom BOO string with Lumizone scope. I killed 2 deer and 1 turkey with my Equinox last fall. I am shooting the firebolts and 100 grain tips that came with the package. I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on the best shooting bolts for this type set up. Length vanes, twist or no twist, aluminum or carbon, brand, etc. I used to shoot competition with compound bows but due to a car accident, I had to give it up. I am wanting to start my own club for crossbow members eventually and I need to be able to stack bolts consistently.

Thanks for any info.
HW

Post by HW »

Sounds like you should stick to the rule"If it aint broke, don't fix it"
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

HW wrote:Sounds like you should stick to the rule"If it aint broke, don't fix it"
I can agree with that. I use the cheapest I can find.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
barrierreef1972

Post by barrierreef1972 »

TRue. I just want to get the most accuracy possible. Kind of a fanatic in that way. Just kinda wanting to see what others are shooting for competition. Thanks for the reply.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I've shot three different brands of arrows. I honestly couldn't tell any differences. That's why I decided to go cheap. If I had an arrow that flew funny, it was usually a fletching issue or broadhead issue, not an arrow issue.

I believe the more spine the better . . .however, I also think they all have enough to shoot straight.

95% of shooting an Excalibur is in your head. If you feel confident, then you will hit your target. If the looks or make-up of a certain brand arrow makes you a more confident shooter, then go with it. Otherwise, there's little to no difference.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Having tested numerous crossbow arrow with different combination of shafts and vanes I've come to the following conclusion: The relatively short crossbow arrows fly most accurately when they have a relatively high FOC, (like 18 to 20%). That's nearly double that of arrows for vert bows. Being heavier in front they tend to drop faster (lower ballistic coefficient). It's best to shoot them faster to flatten trajectory. That calls for relatively small vanes. Personally I like Gold tip Lazer II (carbons), with 110 gr brass inserts and 2" Blazer vanes. I shoot 405 gr arrow (100 gr tips) for my 290 and 320 fps bows (Phoenix and Vortex) and 430 grn arrow (125 gr tips) in my 350 fps Cyclone. I prefer low profile, fixed, 4 bladed, Slick Trick mags. Fly very consistently for me, with good terminal performance.

Welcome to this great site and good luck
Last edited by Cossack on Mon May 18, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum
Grizzly Adam

Re: BOLTS

Post by Grizzly Adam »

barrierreef1972 wrote:I am shooting the firebolts and 100 grain tips that came with the package. I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions on the best shooting bolts for this type set up. ... I need to be able to stack bolts consistently.
Welcome to the group! :D

I think you should shoot what you've got until you need more arrows! :lol:
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Many here on the forum swear by crazyfarmers arrows.

I just swear at him. :lol:
diesel

Post by diesel »

Glad to have you here.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Mike P wrote:Image

Many here on the forum swear by crazyfarmers arrows.

I just swear at him. :lol:
Thanks Mike:)

I havent had any issues with mine and I dont shoot the same spot twice anymore. But from my experiences, bascially any arrow is going to fly good with a fieldtip. The testing part comes with bheads since they all seem to fly a little difference, so different bolts/arrows like different bheads.

the firebolts are good arrows! I like gold tip laser2's but its a toss up between the 2 for me. I buy gold tip laser 2's and rework them with blazers and wraps. They havent done me wrong in 4-5 years of use 8)