nj crossbow hunters need your help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

FullDRAW wrote:
Grizzly Adam wrote:
As for me, if a state invites the opinion of out-of-staters, I'll readily give mine if I feel like weighing in. The invitation to public comment is the prerogative of that state's legislators. If residents of that state don't like out-of-stater's commenting, then they need to take it up with their law-makers.

When I comment on a state's site, I say that I might perhaps be interested in hunting there someday, and that the ability to use a crossbow in archery seasons would have a great bearing on my actual decision should opportunity arise.
I have no problem with that, Grizz! What I have a problem with, is out of staters mis-representing themselves to State Game Agencies and legislators as Hunters of that state, just to push their pro-crossbow agenda. :(
So . . .you are anti crossbow because it might cut into your archery season? How? I haven't heard that arguement before. FullDraw is full of something else. :lol:

I grew up with a two week gun season. Archery season was a month. Our limit was one buck. The season has done nothing but get longer and the limits go up and up. We have fewer and fewer hunters in the woods and we get FullDraw hitting us with some pitiful arguement about losing some of his 3 month season. Better get you a better arguement.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mikej

Post by mikej »

our season runs from oct 1st to dec 15th , you can use both vert bows and crossbows , during that time there is also a 2 week rifle season in there and we can still only take one deer no matter what weapon you use
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Our Indiana archery season is from September 15th through the first Sunday in January.

About 10 years ago Indiana added crossbows the last month of the season.

We are killing lots more deer (record kill last year) and nothing has been shortened. In fact we could be seeing another month tacked on.

AGAIN Fulldraw - Please point out ANY state where a shortened season has happend after full inclusion of crossbows into the archery season.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Esox

Post by Esox »

Bottomline is that there aren't any states that have shortened their bowseason because crossbows were included in the archery season...

The anti argument has no data to back it... The best I can understand is that they are concerned that once you include crossbow hunters into the bowseason more deer are going to be taken and Wildlife Managers are going to reduce the number of days for bowhunting.... The data, however, from states that already allow crossbows does NOT show that to be true... So lacking the data, the argument seems to be based on the fear of something happening even in the face of facts that show that it just isn't happening anywhere today and not likely to happen in the future...

Ironically this is exactly the same fear we had when the compound was first allowed to be used in bowseason back in the 60's and bowhunting seasons have been expanded in over 40 years since the compound bow was allowed...

Crossbows will likely add more hunters (young and oldsters alike) to bowhunting.. And having more bowhunters participating will provide Wildlife Managers with a tool to utilize bowhunters in their wildlife management plans. And this is a counter intuitive good thing because there is strength in numbers and hunting in general and bowhunting in particular needs more participants, not less in order to protect the extensive bowhunting opportunities available to hunters today....

Again, the crossbow is no more or less effective than any other form of archery... Anybody that has shot one for more than a day knows the pros and cons of a crossbow... And bowhunting with one (just like with a compound, longbow/recurve) has it's own set of pros and cons and should not be excluded from any BOWseason

It's simply a matter of having a choice in bowhunting equipment.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Esox wrote: Again, the crossbow is no more or less effective than any other form of archery... Anybody that has shot one for more than a day knows the pros and cons of a crossbow...
Amen and amen! :D

Preach that truth, brother! 8)
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

Esox wrote:Bottomline is that there aren't any states that have shortened their bowseason because crossbows were included in the archery season...

The anti argument has no data to back it... The best I can understand is that they are concerned that once you include crossbow hunters into the bowseason more deer are going to be taken and Wildlife Managers are going to reduce the number of days for bowhunting.... The data, however, from states that already allow crossbows does NOT show that to be true... So lacking the data, the argument seems to be based on the fear of something happening even in the face of facts that show that it just isn't happening anywhere today and not likely to happen in the future...

Ironically this is exactly the same fear we had when the compound was first allowed to be used in bowseason back in the 60's and bowhunting seasons have been expanded in over 40 years since the compound bow was allowed...

Crossbows will likely add more hunters (young and oldsters alike) to bowhunting.. And having more bowhunters participating will provide Wildlife Managers with a tool to utilize bowhunters in their wildlife management plans. And this is a counter intuitive good thing because there is strength in numbers and hunting in general and bowhunting in particular needs more participants, not less in order to protect the extensive bowhunting opportunities available to hunters today....

Again, the crossbow is no more or less effective than any other form of archery... Anybody that has shot one for more than a day knows the pros and cons of a crossbow... And bowhunting with one (just like with a compound, longbow/recurve) has it's own set of pros and cons and should not be excluded from any BOWseason

It's simply a matter of having a choice in bowhunting equipment.
well said
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

So lacking the data, the argument seems to be based on the fear of something happening even in the face of facts that show that it just isn't happening anywhere today and not likely to happen in the future...
Not really "fear" of something happening, but a scare tactic used by bowhunting groups to try and rally bowhunters to keep crossbows out of archery season where they rightfully belong.

If one does ANY research on their own instead of relying on the bowhunting groups to spoon feed them they would realize that they are being sold a bill of goods.

The real "fear" should be the DNRs introducing some sort fo firearms into the early archery seasons. The DNRs have a big problem - too many deer. If the archers can't get the job done in early season the DNRs will literally bring in the BIG GUNS.

More archers, including crossbowers can help manage the herd and stall off the firearm invasion.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Woody Williams wrote: The real "fear" should be the DNRs introducing some sort fo firearms into the early archery seasons. The DNRs have a big problem - too many deer. If the archers can't get the job done in early season the DNRs will literally bring in the BIG GUNS.
This sort of thing is a bit more likely than many people realize, Woody ... NC's Wildlife Resources Commission this past year proposed a change in which all seasons would have started concurrently ... in other words, anything goes from the get-go. It didn't make it through the public hearing and comment process, thankfully. :shock:
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

[quote="Woody Williams
The real "fear" should be the DNRs introducing some sort fo firearms into the early archery seasons. The DNRs have a big problem - too many deer. If the archers can't get the job done in early season the DNRs will literally bring in the BIG GUNS.

More archers, including crossbowers can help manage the herd and stall off the firearm invasion.[/quote]

that is a good point woody
animal

Post by animal »

Can anyone come up with a state that had a problem with full inclusion of the crossbow after it was implemented ? I mean where it hurt other bow hunters ?
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200