Black bears and crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RabidPSUfan

Black bears and crossbows

Post by RabidPSUfan »

I posted this over at AT but was told I might get some more feedback here. I am will be going to NW Ontario, late this August for a Bear hunt. This is my first Fall hunt with and also with my fine Exocet 200.
Any recommendations on arrows and broadheads?
I currently use GT II's with the brass inserts and 100 grain std. Slick Tricks. Total arrow weight around 430. This works fine on the PA whitetails.
Any recommendations or suggestions would be great. We will be hunting with an operation near Ignace, Ontario.
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Welcome to the forums. I have not taken a bear with my crossbow but have with my 57 pound recurve. I think your set up will be fine. If you hit vitals the bear will go down quick.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
Normous

Post by Normous »

Excellent choice. Welcome to this fine forum.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

WELCOME!

You're good to go on your setup! Just aim carefully! :D
Grizz
RabidPSUfan

Where to

Post by RabidPSUfan »

aim is another good question. I have heard that you do not aim tight to the shoulder as you would a deer, assuming a broadside shot. I have been watching the Bear-N-Down series of DVD's from Archer's Choice. They have some good info on hunting and size judging.
Where should you aim on a broadside bear? Quartering away would still be to aim for the opposite side leg, I am assuming.
Keep the info coming, please!
huntone

Post by huntone »

:D Welcome.......I haven't hunted bear, but plenty of members on here have. If Grizz says your good to go....your good to go. Grizz can also come up with a tasty recipe for that bear meat.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing all about your bear hunt in the future!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Limbs and Sticks

welcome

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome, as said shot placement is the key,good luck

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Tips I was given was to quarter the bear up then come ahead about 2 inches .Because a bears front legs are more out front than on the side .When I hit my bear there he made maybe 20-30 yards then did the death moan .It was amazing the stuff he went through before expiring .
If it looks like it has really short ears and short nose .It is a shooter.
At times guides will put a object of known size there ie. a 45 gallon drum .When we did the baiting we left a 5 gallon bucket there with the fryer grease in it .When he can`t get his head inside then he is a shooter . :shock: :D
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

AIM
I have also heard that the vitals are further back than on a deer.
Might be a good idea to research this to be sure or check in with the guide service your going to use.

Good Luck and shoot straight

Dereck
Tenpoint Matrix
mikej

Post by mikej »

Doe Master wrote:Tips I was given was to quarter the bear up then come ahead about 2 inches .Because a bears front legs are more out front than on the side .When I hit my bear there he made maybe 20-30 yards then did the death moan .It was amazing the stuff he went through before expiring .
If it looks like it has really short ears and short nose .It is a shooter.
At times guides will put a object of known size there ie. a 45 gallon drum .When we did the baiting we left a 5 gallon bucket there with the fryer grease in it .When he can`t get his head inside then he is a shooter . :shock: :D
good info
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
mikej

Post by mikej »

RabidPSUfan welcome to the forum
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Aim
Check out this it looks like an informitive sight.
http://www.bearbums.net/shot-placement-and-bear-vitals/
Tenpoint Matrix
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

I think your set up is good to go. I killed my bear with an Exocet 175, 2216 bolts tipped with 100gr thunderhead. Blew right through no problem, even busted one shoulder.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
RabidPSUfan

Thanks

Post by RabidPSUfan »

all for the "Welcome".
I have heard that they are not real hard to kill with a well placed arrow.
We will have some discusions with our guide and I will check out some more info from the websites provided.
I really like the accuracy from the Slick Tricks, they fly right with my field points out to 30+ yards. Not to mention that they are devasting, on deer at least.
If this is like the other Bear hunts I've been on, the stand will most likely be within 20-25 yards.
My last hunt in New brunswick was with my .444 Marlin. The guides there used a 45 gallon drum with bread and fry grease. They told us the same thing, about the bear's back being even or above the barrel line (being a "shooter" or not).
It will be a little different hunting in the Fall this time. Hopefully the bugs won't be soo bad :shock:
Another nice thing will be to take advantage of the Pike and Walleye fishing. I am looking forward to that too!