Quess what I just bought

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Undertaker

Quess what I just bought

Post by Undertaker »

Hello- I just bought an Excalibur, and have been hanging out at the post office waiting for it to appear. I see your forum has been active for a long time, and to be sure, serves the brand well. Grateful I am, to have the opportunity to select such a fine bow. Figure I'll pull up my chair and stay a while.

A little about me. I started shooting when my father gave me a Fred Bear recurve bow, 45lb I believe. He also gave me a book written by Fred Bear to go along with it, as he knew nothing about archery. My mother complained that I was too young, but Dad knew better. I mastered that bow, cedar arrows and all. I drew down on a doe with it once, but....the confidence factor wasn't what I thought it would be, and I let her pass. Still see the creek where she was.

Grew up, found girls and took a break from archery. Moved to Florida 13 years ago, while I was still young enough (35) to enjoy Florida. Discovered that Fred Bear, the hero of my youth, had a museum in town, Gainesville. Also found out that my boss handled Fred's funeral services. But was totally devastated to learn that if I had arrived earlier, that Fred would have taken me on a tour personally. That hurt bad.

Fred was a legend and did more for bow hunting than anyone else I know of. I read that book so many years ago, and then I bought the book his hunting partner wrote- "Trailing a Bear". They had a life. BTW- Fred's dad's name was Harry Bear. Too cool.

I toured the museum about five times with family when they visited. He had a huge collection of ancient bows, and quite a few in his collection were crossbows. I bought my first compound at the proshop there, a Jennings ProGold XS. They said it was the first generation split limb design, I hunted that bow hard down here, but this place is tough on bowhunters. No deer at all. I got bored and gave it up. Then I learned they sold off his museum, and it got moved somewhere in the mid-west. I think he lived in Grayling, Michigan when he wasn't down here.

They said he didn't care for a compound bow. I suspect it was because he was an instinct shooter and didn't want a sight. But Bear Archery sold compounds none the less. They also sold a take down recurve that bore his signature, but it was beyond my means. Beautiful bow.

I recently was introduced to crossbows by my little brother, he loaned me his Quad 400. I looked at it and said to myself- gun.

Stock, trigger, forearm, scope, yes sir....just like shooting a gun. Then reality hit. The arrows dropped at the same rate they did with my Jennings. But i was impressed with the accuracy, and I saw an advantage.

I started shopping for my own, and had issues all along the way, but this brand offered a wonderful entry bow, that I would not feel needed to be exchanged anytime soon.

I bought the following:
Vortex Bow, no package, but it does come with the silencer pad thingy
Six excalibur Fire something arrows
100 grain field points
Rail lube and string wax
Stringer thingy
Flemish string for a reserve
Rope cocker
Excalibur scope mount and rings
Hawke scope with the little circles
Yellow Jacket bag target

I can't wait to get the mastercard bill.

I have been searching around for some time now, and another site had folks that were real nice to me. I have seen things along my search. I have questions. I have been searching the old posts for items of interest. I have been told that I am supposed to be having fun. I hope you folks will be accepting of my presence.

BTW- my user name is descriptive of my profession, not some kind of statement. My main hobby is surf fishing, which I get to do several times a week, and I love to cast in distance competitions, where I hope to some day set an American record. The deer down here are miniscule, slinky, and lean, but we are flat ate up with turkeys....and I am applying to get a special alligator hunting license. I also want to work to change the rules restricting the useage of bows that shoot arrows during hunting seasons that allow for bows that shoot arrows. It should be changed. Paul aka The Fishin Mortician
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Welcome!!
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum, great story and introduction as well as choice of bow. you can't go wrong with any excal. as for questions feel free to ask away someone will get you the answer you need it is a great forum we have here
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome, you just found another home.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
frisky

Post by frisky »

WELCOME! :D :D :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
huntone

Post by huntone »

:D Welcome to the forum undertaker
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Michihunter

Post by Michihunter »

Welcome. Back in 1974 shortly after my wife and I were married we stopped by the Bear museum in Grayling Mich. It was only a short distance from Mio, Mich where I spent a lot of time at my parents cottage and still do. Anyway it was the middle of the week and no one was around at the museum. My wife had just posed for a picture in front of the huge Brown bear that Fred had shot and mounted standing upright. As we were walking around here comes Fred Bear showing some movers where to place the Musk Ox mount he had mounted and was displaying in the museum. Got to talk with him for a few minutes, nice guy. He was always one of those legends that I had read about. Never will forget that day. I still have the picture with my wife of a few months standing in front of that bear. I was too dumbfounded to even think about getting a picture with Fred. Good luck with your new Excal. You won't regret getting it. Take care.
munch

Post by munch »

welcome you sure will be pleased with your new bow and all the help you will find here
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!
Actually this is the second forum, Excalibur had to change servers several years back, so it's hard to tell which members have really been around the longest.

I'm sure you'll love the Excalibur, you picked the best crossbow made!
wabi
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Welcome to the forum undertaker! You wont regret buying a 'bur. it leaves you smiling from ear to ear.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome to the forum.
Better get some Arrow pullers from Dan Miller if you plan on shootiing into that Yellow Jacket target. I've got their broadhead target, only shot it a few times spent way to much time trying to remove my arrows.
Enjoy the Excalibur
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME Undertaker! Image

You have chosen a great bow!! and great forum!! Nice to see you here, too.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

WELCOME, PAUL! :D
Grizz
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D Welcome to the forum Undertaker :D
As for the questions ask away I`m sure someone will jump in and answer them .
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Welcome aboard!!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string