NEW CROSSBOW BY PSE - THE TAC 15

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It's an odd egg, no doubt.
But there have been a couple states to accept crossbows in to their season since the introduction of that monster of a bow, it was never mentioned once in anything that I have read.
I think I worry less about what other people think, to me it is about enjoying the time out there, not what people think about the time I spend out there. I guess it is mostly because there really is no opposition where I live, a bow is a bow is a bow..
If the opposition lacks the basic knowledge to understand the concept of a bow it will make no difference what they use for an argument.

There are a lot of little things that pass through this site that define the difference between a compound bow and a crossbow, you have to spend some time reading to catch them, but it really has nothing to do with cosmetics. After all, most crossbows are very similar in operation, what they look like has no bearing on their operation or effectiveness.

The second you start dismissing something by what it looks like is the second you become one of them.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Thats the problem it's what they look like,and what you can interchange to a change it to a rifle. Thompson did that with ml, you can buy any cal. rifle for the encore,now in the states you need to go thru a ffl to buy one see where this is going.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

The anti crowd played the tac-15 card in texas recently. Luckily they were unsuccessful overall at the hearings!
thanks philip
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

pdislow wrote:The anti crowd played the tac-15 card in texas recently. Luckily they were unsuccessful overall at the hearings!

...and in Michigan too.

The antis had it shooting 1,000 fps and a 600 yard crossbow beore it was over and done with.

Fortunately the board saw through the lies..But the did hold the speed limit to 350 fps..not sure how they will enforce that one..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Pyp, it's not quite that simple. In 2002, xbows were only legal in 3 states during archery here in US. We've come along way since then, but it's been tooth and nail all the way.

First the Stryker upset the apple cart and now this which got a lot of hype and some fiction thrown in.

The owner of the company had a vid on Youtube of him taking a mulie at 106 yds w/ a vert compound. They claimed 1/2" groups at 100 yds, which we know is ridiculous but it was another bullet in the anti-inc types gun[s].

I know you can't stop progress, but personally doubt this is such. To add to the mess, I've read there have been none of these sold and sure haven't read anything on the forums.

It's interesting to note these high speed jobbers are not coming from established xbow mfgs.

Rant over, lol.

Edited to correct [in bold]
Last edited by awshucks on Fri May 29, 2009 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Eze 18:21"
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

What awshucks said...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My first crossbow (shortly before my E200) is an old Daco, blasts an arrow at a mind boggling 140 FPS (if the wind is right), that first jump to 300FPS probably made the earth shake with all the anti's, the world still didn't stop turning. The progress of technology is coming, there is no stopping it. We are happy with what we have because it is what is available to us today.
Tomorrow there will be enhancements, there will be changes in technology, cosmetics and speed. That first hurdle is always the toughest one though. This AR bow thing may not be the leading edge, but it sure is a good indicator that there are people out there thinking of a way to improve on what we have.
The anti's will use it, the stubborn will bicker about it but the next generation will buy it, use it, and hunt with it. To them it is normal. Our bows will be the old Daco's. It has happened with every other product in existence, it will happen here to.
The majority of the original Daco shooters probably see our bows the way some of you see the next ones.

I love toys, I buy things to entertain myself, not simply because they will make me better at something. The next generation of bows (compound and crossbow) are right around the corner.

It is pretty bizarre to be in a crossbow debate with crossbow people. :D I am enjoying it all the same though. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

i'm truly impressed with the new PSE bow, however i really wish Pete Sheply just waited till we got crossbows legal here in NY state first, it seems every anti x-bow moron is using this new bow as the center piece of their anti crossbow argument.

all i'm hearing is thats it's more deadly than a shotgun, 4 in groups at 100 yds and it's black and scary looking :(

it's just making our fight here in NY that much tougher??? :cry:
mikej

Post by mikej »

sits in trees wrote:i'm truly impressed with the new PSE bow, however i really wish Pete Sheply just waited till we got crossbows legal here in NY state first, it seems every anti x-bow moron is using this new bow as the center piece of their anti crossbow argument.

all i'm hearing is thats it's more deadly than a shotgun, 4 in groups at 100 yds and it's black and scary looking :(

it's just making our fight here in NY that much tougher??? :cry:
its not just new york i think the antis are using it everywhere :roll: :roll:
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
gad

Post by gad »

Looking for some technical details, the rail less design is nice !

I do believe that some speed comes from avoid the arrow friction on the rail.

--------------

For the "antis" or the "pros" I think we shouldn´t worry. Along the time it will become "normal" for everyones eyes.

Every new crossbow on the market will bring those same "antis" arguments. So let them speek, while we shoot... :D
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I actually think it is neat. I will not trade the reliability of my Exocet, but it is cool looking none the less.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I see your points on the advances of technology and fully agree they are inevitable.

Pyp, you've got basically the same set up for xbow hunting as I do. I bet you are flinging them close to 310 fps, mine is around 295 fps. Why don't we have 405 fps Strykers? Or, 350 fps race horse Emax's?

I have what I have because I enjoy using a modern version of a 2000+ year old weapon. My comfort zone on deer gets itchy much past 30 yds and I'll bet one of those original primitive xbows had the 'uumpf' to do the job on a deer at those ranges.

For me, possibly you, and a lot of others on here, if we just wanted to make meat, a rifle is the answer. I've got a 6X24 scoped T/C .223 that will put one in an ear at 200 yds. No fun anymore, lol.

For a long time there was parity between the vert and the xbows. The new kids on the block are making it harder to help the xbow movement expand here. They are trying to close the gap on bow and gun, a no doubt popular concept w/ some, but imho, not the majority of xbow hunters.

None of the above is intended to change any ones mind on these bows.
Rather more of an explanation why some of us wouldn't have one for free.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I like to stick to the 300FPS mark, if I do something on one end of the bow to speed it up I will compensate for it on the other end to keep my goal speed of 300.
Like you and your .223, I have grown bored, I have done everything possible to make my bow perfect for me, and it is indeed that.
I don't need a newer faster bow, I just need a new project. The newer stuff is on the edge of technology, so it makes finding ways to upgrade it more of a challenge, and that is what it is all about for me, but you know that. :wink:
I can appreciate how new developments can hamper a group who is striving to legalize their sport, but I am not convinced it is about the products. To me it seems like the attitudes and knowledge prevail every time, level heads that are properly informed see clean through the spits and spats of cosmetic changes and seem to be winning over State by State.
I am lucky to live in a place where we can shoot any bow, our laws here to not differentiate between a handmade recurve and a desert Stryker, it is simply a bow, so I am more apt to welcome the next generation of them, the same way I do with my TV, Cell phone, car, and whatever else anyone dangles in front of my face.
Having said that, I do sympasize with the constant struggle to be free in "the land of the free", I do my just duty, I write letters when asked, I sign petitions that have no direct bearing on me and I monitor them and cheer them on when I can. I do my part, but I also am on the edge of my seat to see what the manufactures are going to tease me with next.
Awshucks, you more than anyone, know what is going through my head with these bows, matter of fact I blame you for most of it. :D I try to put myself in your shoes to understand how a development isn't always the best thing, but it's hard when I live in a place that welcomes the advancements instead of using them for ammunition, and even harder when I eat the advancements up like candy.
Crossbows are making huge leaps, but compounds are doing the exact same thing, I watch those with the same eagerness. We don't need to focus on the damage caused by the next generation of bows, we need the people with voices to use them to educate people on the realities of bowhunting.
Part of me wants to think that there are smarter people in charge than to look at a bow and see it as an advantage over another, if this is all going to boil down to what a bow looks like then the battle is already done.

Finally, I think it is important to stress that I have the utmost respect for you and your point of view. I know what I know because of you, and nothing that I have said, or ever will say should indicate differently.
Utmost respect Dan.
WMU 91
Boo string
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Well said, Pyp, and thanks for the kudos. I'm not exactly sure how and when I got involved in promoting xbow use here. I've been working at it for a few years, but there are real legends in the movement that frequent this and other boards. I'm not going to get into names for fear ofr slighting some, but suffice to say they have been at it a lot longer than me and are much better at it.

I think my main motivator is I detest liars. The NABC and some rabid members of the state bow orgs fall into that category, along w/ the P&Y club.

The people making the decisions on inclusion are not always well informed, some seem to rely on number of emails, ect.

When this new stuff hits the streets, it gets spun beyond belief.

In any event, thanks for what you do in a fight you don't have a dog in. I would attempt to enlist you further in the battle by telling you Dereck M is behind it all, lol, but you'ld see through me. :lol:

Thanks.