Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Lucky you. Usually three times and your out. Sure glad you didn't hurt the vortex. I have one also and no dry fires as of yet. Not looking forward for it to happen.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
huntone

Post by huntone »

Nice to know your had no damage. It happened to me before I had shot my new Ibex 50 times. I called Dan Miller and he asked what bow I was shooting and type of string, excel. He said that bow is fine and to keep shooting it. After a dry fire not all people will be as fortunate as I was.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Baycor

Post by Baycor »

"I grabbed my Crankarooooo and quickly cocked my Vortex once again and started feeling along the limbs for any distortions or slivers and found none."

let, me get this, After you dry fired, you cocked it again and placed your hands near the limbs to feel for slivers and cracks???? What if, what if the tension and damage made it explode once cocked at full tension?

It never occured to you to inspect the limbs when the tension was off and the risk of blowing your hands off was not as risky? Man, that's a risky move.
Boo

Post by Boo »

This is actually a common thing for us to do, when un-cocked the limbs are not loaded enough to cause an "explosion" and without the bow strung you may not see any splinters.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

let, me get this, After you dry fired, you cocked it again and placed your hands near the limbs to feel for slivers and cracks???? What if, what if the tension and damage made it explode once cocked at full tension?
As the un-acknowledged president of the dry-fire club, I can tell you from literally spending far too much time on this and other xbow forums, I've never heard of anything more occurring to Excal limbs than splintering, or a molded tip chipping.

It's a very rare occurance w/ any other string than a FFF. They are one tough bow and survive things that would ruin a compound xbow.
"Eze 18:21"
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if you shoot enough, its bound to happen :D :D

I think most are finally getting the idea that its nothing to be embarassed about :D
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

at a 3-d shoot last sun. a fella i was shooting with dry fired a new exocet.all that happened the string came off and stretched a bit no other damage,a new member for the club.
mikej

Post by mikej »

glad everything is ok and there was no damage to your bow
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Should have let the Mrs. take the blame . . .you should have said . . ."Yes, I caught the reflection of your beauty in the glass of the scope and lost my train of thought". :oops:

Glad to hear there wasn't any damage.

There seems to be more than one President of the Dry Fire Club. :?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
mikej

Post by mikej »

sumner4991 wrote: There seems to be more than one President of the Dry Fire Club. :?
maybe we need an election :lol: :lol:
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
gad

Re: Dry fired my Vortex!

Post by gad »

bstout wrote:This is number 3 for me. I dry fired one of my black Vixens twice about 5 years ago. It is one of those things that just happens.

I was sitting at my shooting bench getting ready to "rap a few off" (but not on the bench) with my Crankaroooo and my Vortex which I hardly ever shoot. The Crankaroooo is a real pleasure to use once you get the hang of it. I cocked my crossbow and went to place an arrow under the hold down spring when....looky here...there's a finger print on the front lens of my scope. How in the heck did that get there?

I put my cocked crossbow down, went into the house to get my Nikon Lens Pen to remove the print. Those little gadgets work great for tough smudges on glass. OK, done deal...I look through the scope and it's clean as a hound's tooth. I'm leaning on my sand bag looking through my scope in the normal shooting position with no arrow in the bow and didn't realize the no arrow part.

I gently squeeze the trigger and hear an unfamiliar "Swizzle" sound (with no recoil) and hang my head down not wanting to look up. Knowing all too well what just happened. My wife happened to be standing in back of me. She starts making excuses for me that it was probably her fault because she must have distracted me.

My reply was no, I didn't even know you were standing there. It's no ones fault but my own. I grabbed my Crankarooooo and quickly cocked my Vortex once again and started feeling along the limbs for any distortions or slivers and found none. This time I place an arrow in the bow, aim and fire.

Dead center bullseye!

I went on to fire twenty seven more times before ending the session and everything is fine so I got lucky...again.

Excalibur is the best crossbow on the planet, period!

Does the string handled that dryfire well ?
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Sorry it happened, Bob! :? :(

On the other hand, it's an Excal ... so:

CRANKAROOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Grizz
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Since it's tell all time....I dryfired my Vortex when I first got it and no damage either. Partially dryfired a compound ( the plastic nock shattered, must have been cracked) and the BOW disintegrated. Broken limb, string and cables broke plus twisted cams. Does that make me a multidimensional bow dryfirer?
Two things happened from those experiences: 1) Purchased some aluminum moon nocks ( at about $2.00 ea...but worth the peace of mind); 2) my Excal routine now is: cock bow, engage safety, pick up bow.... EVERY TIME.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Cossack wrote: Does that make me a multidimensional bow dryfirer?
You trying to get some votes for President? :lol: It's going to take more than being multidimentional . . .we have several of those. :shock: Now, if you had done these events at the same time . . . :P
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen