Wraps on front of bolt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cajun

Wraps on front of bolt

Post by cajun »

Has anyone ever tried putting arrow wraps on the front of a bolt near the broadhead? My bolts fly great out of my xbow but I was thinking about adding wraps so I can see them better in flight. I don't want to refletch. This would only add about 10 grains to the front end so probably would not affect arrow flight.

What do you think????

Thanks,,,,,
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I think if you plan on only shooting the bolt once it is a good idea. If you plan on shooting it more than once or even sighting it in, the wraps will be destroyed on the first shot when they go into then come out of the target.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
mikej

Post by mikej »

it would definitely add foc, i have never heard of anyone ever trying it
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

it wouldnt exactly add FOC, it would take away or reduce the FOC :D

As said, if you plan on shooting once its a good idea for hunting maybe. I'd personally just wrap the butt end and refletch. Or you can order some already done :P ahem :lol:

But after the first shot into the target, its going to tear or peel back. With the wrap on the rear, the only danage done most of the time is from the arrow going down the rail which usually leaves about a 1/4th inch mark on one side overtime.
mikej

Post by mikej »

how would it reduce the foc? it would be adding weight to the front of the arrow?
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

mikej wrote:how would it reduce the foc? it would be adding weight to the front of the arrow?
Moot point, they only weigh 10 gr on average and if applied to front, that weight is spread out quite a bit, 6" is a guess w/o measuring.

If you wadded one up into a 'spitball' and wedged it into a bhead, the 10 gr addition would hardly show up in FOC diff. :D :D :D [imho]
"Eze 18:21"
mikej

Post by mikej »

awshucks wrote:
mikej wrote:how would it reduce the foc? it would be adding weight to the front of the arrow?
Moot point, they only weigh 10 gr on average and if applied to front, that weight is spread out quite a bit, 6" is a guess w/o measuring.

If you wadded one up into a 'spitball' and wedged it into a bhead, the 10 gr addition would hardly show up in FOC diff. :D :D :D [imho]
ok that makes sense , i thought they weighed more than that ,but i still can't see how it would decrease foc, going by that theory foc would be unchanged not decreased
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I had a brain fart when posting... my kids were fighting and I was speed thinking :P

yes it would increase the FOC lol.. adding to the butt end would decrease, but as said its roughly 10grains so you are looking at an FOC change of maybe .1?
mikej

Post by mikej »

that's ok crazy, you actually had me pretty confused to the point i started going over my notes to check my foc info :lol: :lol: . i thought the wraps actually added a lot more then just 10 grains , so their effects on an arrow are almost purely cosmetic?
mikej

Post by mikej »

having reread the initial post i can see it clearly says it adds 10 grains :oops: :oops:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

mikej wrote:that's ok crazy, you actually had me pretty confused to the point i started going over my notes to check my foc info :lol: :lol: . i thought the wraps actually added a lot more then just 10 grains , so their effects on an arrow are almost purely cosmetic?
lol... I dont know what I was thinking about when I typed that :P

as said above, you need good follow through to see the arrow through the scope in flight. If you try to look up fast to see your arrow, you are probably jerking the trigger and bow effecting the shot.

Mikej, wraps help greatly in finding the arrow after the shot and it does help in lowlight. When I shot flo. wraps it almost looks like a lumenock through the scope going at the deer. Its not so much seeing the arrow in flight, its seeing the arrow hit the deer :D
mikej

Post by mikej »

crazyfarmer wrote:
Mikej, wraps help greatly in finding the arrow after the shot and it does help in lowlight. When I shot flo. wraps it almost looks like a lumenock through the scope going at the deer. Its not so much seeing the arrow in flight, its seeing the arrow hit the deer :D
good point, i plan on trying some arrows with wraps this fall
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Not enough weight to make a difference for FOC. Have you considered lacquer cresting (could paint most of the arrow florescent, only 1 grain), or a lighted nock?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

btw, something to keep in mind if you want the wraps to help with finding the arrow. If you wrap the front and that goes under the brush or dirt, then its not gonna serve its purpose :)
DuckHunt

Re: Wraps on front of bolt

Post by DuckHunt »

bstout wrote: I'm more concerned with follow through. I keep aiming until I see or hear the arrow hit its mark.
Good idea. It takes a little practice. The last time I shot I tried to train myself to look for the arrow through the scope. I had a tendency to pull away to look for the arrow flight. Trying to see the impact through the scope cures any follow through issues.

DuckHunt