coyote hunting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

warningshot

coyote hunting

Post by warningshot »

gonna do some coyote hunting this fall and looking for any tips tricks and good decoys calls that anyone can recomend ..thanks
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Go to predatorquest.com They have calls and excellent hunting tips and vidios for coyote hunting
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

One thing I have learned is not to spend money on expensive decoys. The coyotes get them! I don't care how hard you watch your furry decoy, some coyote will snatch it before you can get the rifle to your shoulder.

I now buy cheap kids furry animals and the coyotes steal them from me every year. But I don't mind them running off with two bucks worth of fur.

I did mind them running off with twenty bucks worth of fur!
lscha

Post by lscha »

SPITFIRE wrote:Go to predatorquest.com They have calls and excellent hunting tips and vidios for coyote hunting
Pack a lantern and a lunch if you watch the slideshow. Wow! Nice pics. I'll be visiting that one again.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
fletch

Post by fletch »

You don't need the expensive electronic calls. I bought a mini digital call for $9.99 and had to come into it but could only shoot one, one on each side and I didn't have chance to get the second one. He was outta there at the sound of the shot. Maybe it was beginners luck.
Exomax w/ Lumizone
custom Boo string w/silencers
GT II's w/r helical 4 deg offset
Slik Triks and Lumenoks
Pydpiper

Re: coyote hunting

Post by Pydpiper »

warningshot wrote:gonna do some coyote hunting this fall and looking for any tips tricks and good decoys calls that anyone can recomend ..thanks
Keep an eye on the lunar tables, they seem to run like clockwork on it.

For recreational hunting I use a Primos distressed cottontail mouth call, MAD calls howler and a squeaker from a kids toy in the dollar store. The distress rabbit call can make all kinds of sounds that coyotes find interesting. Even a whistle works when locating a bunch of them, they are compelled to howl back at foreign sounds and gives you a good indicator of places to set up.
Their vision is amazing, so is their sense of smell, as well as hearing. They are one of the toughest hunts out there in my opinion. Camo is important depending on where you are, they know when something is not right and will avoid it.
For a decoy I use a wobbling rabbit and set up just like I do for turkeys, only at about 250 yards instead of 20. Decoys are not a "must have" but it gives them something else to watch if you are in a spot where they can pick you out.
Optics are important, a lot of activity comes in the hours of small light, but not all activity! Again, keep an eye on the lunar tables. I get most of my success in the west transit.
Something to remember is that they are indeed dogs, and will be trained accordingly. If you sit in the same spot too much they will simply learn to avoid that spot, they will even quickly become accustomed to certain frequencies of calls, best to have a few different ones and jump back and fourth on different visits.
It is very common to get two in one sitting, especially if the shots come at 175 yards+. More times than not a second coyote will come in right up to the body of the first to see what is going on, be ready for that. That changes with the seasons though.
I have a gun case that carries everything, camo, decoys, calls, bi-pod, mono-pod, shooting mat, binoculars..

Have fun! Once you learn to fool a coyote it makes most other game animals a little easier.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Piper, that was a precise, knowledgeable, and articulate reply.

I am impressed.

How much did the kids charge you to write it? :P
mikej

Post by mikej »

Mike P wrote:Piper, that was a precise, knowledgeable, and articulate reply.

I am impressed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Mike P wrote:Piper, that was a precise, knowledgeable, and articulate reply.

I am impressed.

Sure, you take one nice picture in your life and it goes right to your head. :D

I hunt coyotes every day, rain or shine, so far the hardest part is proving to be beating the ones that I have missed in the past. Miss them once or get busted and it is like hunting a whole new breed.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
randy rickmon

Post by randy rickmon »

If fur quality is not a concern, I would hunt as early as the season allows. In my experience, once a coyote has been shot at they are 10 times as hard to call successfully. If you start early in the season you'll have many first-year dogs to practice on. Rifle or shotgun?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

randy rickmon wrote:If you start early in the season you'll have many first-year dogs to practice on.
This is absolutely true, good comment randy.

I wait until February when deer season closes.

The fur is at its best and the dogs really have to move a lot to keep a fire going in the furnace.

I also subscribe to leaving a shot yote lay. I will not retrieve until the hunt is completely over in that particular spot. I have had dogs come in to the down animal many a time, some as soon as fifteen minutes after I shot the first one.
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

[quote="randy rickmon"]If fur quality is not a concern, I would hunt as early as the season allows. In my experience, once a coyote has been shot at they are 10 times as hard to call successfully. If you start early in the season you'll have many first-year dogs to practice on. Rifle or shotgun?[/quote]

thanks for all the input ...will be using bow only for now ...may make things difficult ....
lscha

Post by lscha »

warningshot wrote:
randy rickmon wrote:If fur quality is not a concern, I would hunt as early as the season allows. In my experience, once a coyote has been shot at they are 10 times as hard to call successfully. If you start early in the season you'll have many first-year dogs to practice on. Rifle or shotgun?
thanks for all the input ...will be using bow only for now ...may make things difficult ....
Reading about coyote hunting and the more I read, the more I think hunting them with a bow is almost impossible. Is that true?? Are there any success stories with crossbows?
Laura
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

lscha wrote:
warningshot wrote:
randy rickmon wrote:If fur quality is not a concern, I would hunt as early as the season allows. In my experience, once a coyote has been shot at they are 10 times as hard to call successfully. If you start early in the season you'll have many first-year dogs to practice on. Rifle or shotgun?
Reading about coyote hunting and the more I read, the more I think hunting them with a bow is almost impossible. Is that true?? Are there any success stories with crossbows?
If you can take elephant with a xbow, yotes should be a piece of cake.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
lscha

Post by lscha »

What I mean is, can you get them that close?? I'm not asking you Pyd, I know YOU can. :D
Laura
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts