Ground hunting vs. Treestand (deer)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

FullDRAW

Ground hunting vs. Treestand (deer)

Post by FullDRAW »

Just curious how much of each?

I hunt less than 5% from ground and over 95% in a treestand.
There's a place for all of God's Creatures...............right next to the mashed potatos! :)
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

95% ground (hince groundpounder) and the other 5% treestand. I was a hunter safety instructor for several years and always received all of Georgias hunting accident reports. Read WAY too many unfortunate tree stand related accidents. Alot of them made you cringe just to read them. I know there are several on the forum that have their own stories.
Why ride when you can walk!
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I was 100% from a tree. but now im 95% ground. What turned me was where i was hunting.I started hunting a place in Ohio that is thick very few trees you could climb. So to hunt where the deer were i had to ground hunt. That lead me to getting a Ghillie suit. Its like i found a new sport its harder to ground hunt but man is it ever fun.
FullDRAW

Post by FullDRAW »

groundpounder wrote:95% ground (hince groundpounder) and the other 5% treestand. I was a hunter safety instructor for several years and always received all of Georgias hunting accident reports. Read WAY too many unfortunate tree stand related accidents. Alot of them made you cringe just to read them. I know there are several on the forum that have their own stories.
I hear ya! That less than 5% is when I forget my safety harness! :wink:
There's a place for all of God's Creatures...............right next to the mashed potatos! :)
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Ground, mostly ... some box blind and ladder stand. :D
Grizz
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I'd say 99.9% of mine is on the ground. I used to hunt entirely out of treestands, but as I've gotten older and fatter, it's just easier to hunt off of the ground. :lol: Now, I've got a little 7 year old hunting partner, so it looks like I'm going to have to invest in some pop-up blinds. :D

"Daddy, what's that?" (pointing)
"Daddy, look at that?" (pointing)
"ZZzzzzzzzz" (still as a church mouse) :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
mikej

Post by mikej »

95 % is treestand for me, except for rifle hunting either walking or running the dogs with a new group.
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'm 100% ground. I know my chances are better in a tree. I just like the feeling of being eye to eye.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
FullDRAW

Post by FullDRAW »

Big58cal wrote:I used to hunt entirely out of treestands, but as I've gotten older and fatter, it's just easier to hunt off of the ground. :lol:
LOL Big! You just reminded me of an incident that happened last year. I was trying to get on/in my summit viper (it was about knee level on the tree) when I got one leg up, lost my ballance and fell right on my back like a turtle! I just layed there and laughed, thinking: That never happened when I was 30 lbs lighter! :wink: :lol:
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

100% tree for deer.

100% ground for turkeys..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
FullDRAW

Post by FullDRAW »

bstout wrote:The patience and skill that it takes to remain "statue like" in a tree for 3 to 4 hours at a crack is in my opinion a learned skill. The only way one can get good at it is by doing it. Likewise shooting from aloft is also a learned skill particularly over uneven terrain like a steep down hill slope (angles).
That's a good point, and I agree!

But, some would argue there is no skill involved! :roll:
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

deer- 95% ground

everything else- 100% ground
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I am unfortunately one of the people groundpounder is referring to. I fell 28 feet in 1997.

As a result of my injuries I found this place.

I hunted the ground during the seasons of 1998 and 1999. I killed deer. Just not the deer I wanted.

I went back to the trees in 2000.

I have been there ever since.
FullDRAW

Post by FullDRAW »

SOrry to hear that Mike! WOW- 28 ft! The Lord was watching over you that day!

But glad to hear you are back at it!

I have heard stories like that and because of them, I NEVER leave the ground without my full body harness. If I forget it, I stay on the ground. I love my family too much! :wink:
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

I always hunt from tree stands. Have used fixed stands for 20 years or more with the screw in climbing steps. They are dangerous. Have switched to ladder stands. I find them very safe to climb in and out of. Make my own out of 1" square tubing and all welded together so they cannot be stolen.
I am a hunter and proud of it.