Help-New to Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

forrest-hunter

Help-New to Crossbows

Post by forrest-hunter »

I am a longbow hunter but have had a lot of shoulder problems. Will have to use a crossbow this year and thought of getting a Phoenix with the Lite package. I normally hunt with a 45-48# longbow. Will I have any trouble cocking bow with rope cocker or do I need to get the mechanical one. How do I uncock the bow? Can I use archery targets I have now or do I need to get a special type. Will a feed sack filled with grocery plastic bags
stop the bolt? Can I use regular string wax on string and rail? Any suggestions?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Welcome forest-hunter.

You are one of the first to come around here since Texas passed the new crossbow legislation. I suspect we will see a large influx of Texans here at the forum in the near future.

There are a few of your fellow Texans that hang out here, me being one of them. I no longer live in Texas but I was born and raised on a ranch outside of Brady. I see your over by Houston.

I think the Phoenix is a very wise choice, I have one. You might also entertain the Ibex, it is a Phoenix with a thumb hole stock, very kewl.

I will let others answer all your questions, they are very knowledgeable. They will not steer you wrong.

Again, welcome to the forum. You will find it a most comfortable place to visit.
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Welcome aboard forrest-hunter. You will not have any trouble with the rope cocker. It is very easy to cock and decock the crossbow with. You could also shoot a field tip into the ground like many here do. The crankaroo is also very easy to use although it is a lot slower. But you cannot decock with a crankaroo. They both are very good for their intended use. A crossbow is no more powerful than a compound so I don't belive you need a special target. IMO.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

with the rope cocker, it might feel like you are pulling 30-40pounds back give or take..

well within your limits :D worse case, you can always get the one that bolts to the stock later one if you have trouble. I draw a 60lb compound and shoot the 225 equinox and with the rope cocker it feels like maybe 50pounds
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome, i chose the phoenix due to the ease of cocking with the rope cocker combined with the the decent speed and energy. the rope cocker not only makes cocking easier it also guarantees an even cock of your bow every time. i also like the less noise and vibration of the 175 compared to the heavier bows and they are slightly lighter than the 200 and 225 models. stick with excal and you can't go wrong , but again just my opinion
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
mikej

Post by mikej »

sorry meant to add the feed bag stuffed with grocery bags works well, old clothes ( zippers and buttons removed ) works well too
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
huntone

Post by huntone »

:D Welcome forrest-hunter. A good video will come with your bow that shows how it is cocked and uncocked. It would help if you could rope cock one first to see how it feels to ya.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Welcome to the forum :)
You really can not go wrong with either the Phoenix or Ibex .
texan

Post by texan »

Welcome fellow Texan. Nice and helpful bunch around here.
Got my first crossbow this year. Ibex, sts, scope, cheekplate.
Fun to shoot.
TEXAN
lscha

Re: Help-New to Crossbows

Post by lscha »

forrest-hunter wrote:I am a longbow hunter but have had a lot of shoulder problems. Will have to use a crossbow this year
O Well, If you HAVE to, you have to! :lol: :lol: Wait till you see how much fun your crossbow is!! Not taking anything away from vertical shooting.....crossbow is a different kind of fun. You probably won't have any trouble with the cocking rope. I use the crankaroo and even tho it is slower, it is no trouble at all and I'm pretty fast with it. Thanks for joining us and keep asking questions and posting your progress.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome aboard,you'll feel at home in no time at all.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

Hi forrest-hunter I have the same thing wrong with me i also shot trad bows 45 to 50#. This will be my first fall with the xbow. I have a Ibex it is very easy to cock and uncock I use the rope cocker. Its a change from what your use to. But its good i have fun shooting. Best of luck
sneak

Post by sneak »

Welcome aboard forrest-hunter! :)
Exocet 200
Vari-Zone Scope
Gold Tip Laser II Arrows
Rage 2 blade crossbow broadheads
S5 Suppression System
Flemish Dyna Flight String
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

I too have the Phoenix' fraternal twin, the Ibex. Find it quite easy to span with the rope aid, though it'll depend somewhat on the nature of your shoulder problems. Have a balky shoulder myself, rotator cuff & some nasty tendon problems, but legs & back do most of the work, especially with the rope.

Like huntone said, the dvd is great, much better than trying to figure it out from a manual with black & white photos. I think you can access the same stuff on the dvd from the Excalibur home page.
Chris Dillard

Post by Chris Dillard »

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your Crossbow Adventures.
I love my Excalibur.
2014 Vixen II
2006 Exomax