Replacing half moon nock?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Popacap

Replacing half moon nock?

Post by Popacap »

I found some 20" 2219 firebolt arrows with 5" feathers but they have a half moon nock. To switch them out is it as easy as pulling the half moons out and pushing in the flat nocks in their place? Can you shoot a half moon nock out of an Excalibur? Are aluminum arrows ok or will they get all bent up taget shooting? Over time the Carbon arrows are wearing the coating off and carbon fibers are being exposed. Any advice would be appreciated.
2009 Vortex
lumizone
Excel string
125 grn F3 Trophy Ridge broadheads
Firebolt arrows
mikej

Post by mikej »

i have heard of people grinding the moon nocks flat, i've never tried it but some say it works. the biggest concern i would have is getting them perfectly flat. i think slightly higher on one side would cause accuracy problems. aside from that you should be able to just heat them with a heat gun set on low and pull them right out and glue in the new one.
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I had to pull some plastic moon nocks out of my dads Parker arrows to put in Tracer nocks. What I did was to select a drill a little smaller than the nock an drill into the nock about 1/2 of the way. I then put the drill into reverse and the friction built up by running the drill in reverse was just enough to heat up the nock and break the bond of the glue that was used to hold in the nock with out damaging the carbon arrows.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Cossack

Re: Replacing half moon nock?

Post by Cossack »

[quote="Popacap"]I found some 20" 2219 firebolt arrows with 5" feathers but they have a half moon nock. To switch them out is it as easy as pulling the half moons out and pushing in the flat nocks in their place? Can you shoot a half moon nock out of an Excalibur? Are aluminum arrows ok or will they get all bent up taget shooting? Over time the Carbon arrows are wearing the coating off and carbon fibers are being exposed. Any advice would be appreciated.[/quote]
1. You CAN shoot moons out of Ecal. Arrow alignment becomes critical to avoid a partial dryfire. There is some opinion that moons are not as accurate.
2. Aluminum arrows are OK. Once they bend they are toast for accuracy.
3. I remove nocks by gently heating nock with heat gun (set on low) while turning the arrow. Grindoing them down is not recommended as it is difficult to make concentric and weakens the nock. Note: I've had a compound bow EXPLODE from a compromised nock...won't ever forget that experience.
4. Carbon fibers showing through? Could be the clearcoat on outside of your arrow is wearing a bit. No big deal, just spray with clear lacquer if bothersome.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

some of the half moons just pop in place without glue. Just try twisting and pulling back out. The excal ones had a little allen head into the nock so that makes it easier to twist and pull with a allen wrench.

normally you will have to glye flat nocks in;)

hope that helps

ive never tried the grinding method since you would need to grind perfectly flat. Its a cheap fix that works im sure. I'd rather just pop new nocks in :D I want to make sure the 1 shot I get counts :D
mikej

Post by mikej »

crazyfarmer wrote: ive never tried the grinding method since you would need to grind perfectly flat. Its a cheap fix that works im sure. I'd rather just pop new nocks in :D I want to make sure the 1 shot I get counts :D
thats a good point , i wouldn't try it either but i have heard of it . i can't see any way to get it perfect
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

If you have a arrow saw just cut it off like you would your arrow, no grinding for sure.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Popacap

Post by Popacap »

I dont have any equipment for arrows yet. I saw some kits on a website last night when I was hunting for some new arrows. I thought about building my own. I wll probably buy a dozen pre fletched then get the stuff to make and repair them on my own. Seems like it would add another level to my target shooting and I love to experiment and tinker.
Thanks for your help!
2009 Vortex
lumizone
Excel string
Firebolt arrows
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Then just start pickin' brains. Rollin' your won is a GREAT hobby. One thing for sure, you won't be lacking arrows. I would buy the raw shaft, add the inserts, nock and vanes I want. e.g : 20" Gold tip Lazer II shafts, 110 gr brass inserts, aluminum nocks (regardless if flat of moon) and 2" Blazers.
That way you wont have to deal with stripping and re fetching, taking out inserts or nocks, etc.
Not cheaper than buying made up arrows initially, until you pay for the stuff you'll need. But, then, whats the price opf the fun factor :lol:

Holler if you need help, hear?
M&M

Post by M&M »

I have taken a file to half moon nocks in the past and filed them flat and shot them with no problem whatsoever. M&M
M&M
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I would remove and go with aluminum nocks have seen on two occasions the plastic ones working there way into the arrow.
When the string and sharp edge of the arrow meet ,well on a compound horton I am just glad no one got hurt.That bow came apart in many pieces in a friends hands.

It's up to you but I will never shoot a plastic insert again.
Tenpoint Matrix
Popacap

Post by Popacap »

I probanly wont shoot plastic inserts. I want to get the best arrow there is. I have a sweet crossbow just need sweet arrows. Does anyone know what Dan Miller charges per 1/2 dozen?
2009 Vortex
lumizone
Excel string
Firebolt arrows
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Popacap wrote:I probanly wont shoot plastic inserts. I want to get the best arrow there is. I have a sweet crossbow just need sweet arrows. Does anyone know what Dan Miller charges per 1/2 dozen?
I don't know Dans prices, but we have guys right here that make arrows that will please you.
Crazyfarmer, who posted in this thread is on your side of the border and can make you something to be proud of.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string