Any Ideas on a home made smoker

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

swiftfox

Any Ideas on a home made smoker

Post by swiftfox »

I would be interested in input as how to build a home made smoker, does not have to be to large. I would like to try and do it myself so the theory is Kiss( keep it simple stupid) as I would like to try and to this project by myself at home. Thanks for any ideas Guys and Gals.
Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor in the morning the Devil says "Oh! crap She's up"
munch

Post by munch »

i don't have one myself but my brother for years just used and old fridge.one of the old type with tin lining .he used a hole saw and cut a hole in the back near the top for exhaust then a steel tray in the bottom that he would burn corncobs and bark chips on. the racks would move up and down in the fridge.i'm sure you could pic one of these up for free anywhere they sell appliance's munch
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
mikej

Post by mikej »

munch wrote:i don't have one myself but my brother for years just used and old fridge.one of the old type with tin lining .he used a hole saw and cut a hole in the back near the top for exhaust then a steel tray in the bottom that he would burn corncobs and bark chips on. the racks would move up and down in the fridge.i'm sure you could pic one of these up for free anywhere they sell appliance's munch
i've used the same thing for quite a few years . works great, cheap and easy to build,
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
huntone

Post by huntone »

bstout wrote:Likewise I used an old fridge for many years. In the mid 1980's my wife surprised me with a Weber smoker.

Let me say this about that...the home made ones don't work anywhere near as nice as a commercially made unit. I'd hate like heck to have to go back to using an old fridge after using a real smoker for the last twenty plus years. Especially when "wet" smoking.
This is true, also the materials used in newer refrigerators and water heaters may be toxic. It may be cheaper to buy a Brinkman, Weber, or some other brand smoker, depending on what kind of smoking you want to do. JMHO
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
mikej

Post by mikej »

bstout wrote:
If I was looking for another smoker, I'd be watching garage sales.

You never know when you might want to buy a garage! :D
good tip, i will start watching , bob is yours small? got a pic?
dutchhunter

smokers

Post by dutchhunter »

for folks with not much smoking exper i would say get a smoker with electric burnner .we smoked eel in a 50 gal barrel for years and it worked great DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
huntone

Post by huntone »

The Brinkman is not as nice as the Weber, but I've been using one for 25 years, this is my second. Can hold 50lbs of meat on the two cooking grates or 5 whole slabs of baby back ribs cut in half.

Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

I have an old pamphlet dating back a hundred years. It has directions on how to build a smoker from the ground and a recipe to go with it. :) Can not build a cheaper one than that. :wink:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

anyone here use a bradley smoker? I was condidering one of those before this thread came up.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

This one is 17,18yrs old, it's a smoker and grill use it either way,the old girl needs some stove paint, soon to happen. I only use fruit woods when smoking meats, any will work apple, pear, peach,got a hold of some plum once put a whole new taste on some tenderloin.

Wes

"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
mikej

Post by mikej »

does anyone know if a bbq could be used?
munch

Post by munch »

huntone wrote:The Brinkman is not as nice as the Weber, but I've been using one for 25 years, this is my second. Can hold 50lbs of meat on the two cooking grates or 5 whole slabs of baby back ribs cut in half.

you realy have to stop showing pics like that i'm on a diet :cry:
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

For those who ARE interested in the timeless classic Weber bullet smoker, a website featuring all you want to know, and perhaps a great deal more:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/index.html

A video from the website ... quick start to understanding the WSM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4LqrFu_8w0
Grizz
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I use just a cheap Brinkmann charcoal smoker. It does a fairly decent job.............. This was a pork butt and a half-slab of ribs that was left after a meal (we ate one butt and the other half-slab)

These are pretty cheap. You should be able to find them new in the stores for less than about $40. With as cheap as they are, it would be hard to build one for it. Here's a listing for one on Ebay.

Brinkmann Smoker

The charcoal smokers are cheapest of the different types..... charcoal, gas, electric....... and about the easiest to use. With the gas you've always got to worry about carrying around the tank and electric, you have to have a plug in near by.

A few weeks ago at the Youth Hunter Education Challenge I went to, we had my smoker (charcoal) and another guy's gas smoker that we used to cook on (we got tired of the pitiful food they served in the cafeteria, so we started making our own. LOL!)

The smokers are closest in the foreground of the picture.

As for what they'll hold, I've had 5 big shoulder butts in mine before, totalling almost 50 lbs (precooked). I let them smoke for 8 hrs and almost didn't get them off of the racks because they were falling apart. :D [/u]
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.