Deer Contest

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Hi all ! I'm back........... Put me in.

Kelley asked me about teaming up again this year with me. I guess we need one more? How many on a team.

Or will farmer be pulling names from a hat?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Big58cal wrote:I ran a deer contest on another site last fall. Here's the details on it. Ya'll may find something in there that you like and want to use for this one. :wink:
Deer Scoring:
Button buck up to 110 B&C gross -- 5 pts
111 B&C gross up to 145 B&C gross -- 6 pts
146 B&C gross up to 200 B&C gross -- 7 pts
Does -- 2 pts each

Photo Scoring
Each picture will get awarded 1 pt for each thing they do.
1 pt -- Picture of animal
1 pt -- Picture of you with the animal
1 pt -- Animal in natural setting (anything but hanging or in the back of a vehicle)
1 pt -- Minimal amount of blood on you and/or animal (no "blood bath")

Something that was mentioned but nothing ever came of it was coyotes. I hate 'em!!!!! Just about everyone sees them while you're hunting, and some are lucky enough to get one every now and then. I also think that if you've got deer, you've got coyotes. We'll add in coyotes as a BONUS half a point, with no limit on the number you can submit.

Each team is allowed to enter 2 bucks and 4 does (2 person teams). It doesn't matter if 1 person or both people on the team enter the deer, each team is allowed to enter a maximum of 2 bucks and 4 does. If all 6 of those deer come from one person on the team then it's OK. Or it could be any combination between the 2 people, but the overall total can't go over 2 bucks and 4 does for the contest.

This is all on the honor system. Even though everyone knows that hunters/fishers NEVER stretch the truth any, please don't do it in the contest. This is meant to be fun people. If you got to cheat to win a deer contest................. :evil:
the problem is scoring the deer:-P some dont know how to do it and its a hassle to find someone to score your deer. I'd love to do a score wise contest like that, but we have to keep it simple. One reason we just used the spread and # of pts system. Its not always fair, but its simple for everyone to do :D

md, if it comes down to it, all of those left out can be drawn for teams

im fine with all 4 person teams, but i'd rather see just 3 person teams. :P
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

If you have 3 man teams and only 2 bucks allowed this is a little unfair to the 3rd member we have a system set up that follows with very simple rules to allow each member the opportunity to score for his or her team. Let me know what you think :

This is going to be a team contest,with expected 3 man teams depending on entries. Members can post on this thread to sign up. Deadline to enter will be Aug 30th. The contest will run until January 31st 2010. Deer killed can be by bow or gun, it doesn't matter.Three deer are allowed to be entered per member 2 doe and 1 buck. The does are going to be worth 12.5 points ea. Count the bucks by number of points and also add in the INSIDE spread Ex;17" wide + 8 points = 25 points. Each member adds their individual score to the team score. Picture proof of the deer killed with the member MUST be submitted here on this thread!.
Also, points will be defined as such;
To be counted a point, a projection must be at least one inch long AND,
at some location at least one inch from the tip, the length of the projection must exceed its width.

You can also replace your 1st entered buck with another,for those people who hunt with multiple tags,and out of state,but only Once can you upgrade,and then that entry stands.

To deter members from shooting immature buck's,we have discussed this issue,and agree that for the benefit of the wildlife 1st and foremost,and deterrence from members harvesting these animals,that we will not accept nubbin' buck's,so we will list a buck as it has to have at least 1" of bone showing and only then, will we still count it as a point and the inner spread.

The winning team will receive board bragging rights for the year. All members will sign up here and we will draw names out of the hat and announce the pairings on Sept. 2nd.Good Luck to all!

*** High Fence Deer are NOT allowed
*** Whitetail Deer Only
*** Cutoff Date is 01/31/2010
*** Extra point for each harvest entry taken with a bow.

The winners will also stay together as a team, and until someone else knock's them off!
Last edited by mdcrossbow on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lscha

Post by lscha »

deleted :lol:
Last edited by lscha on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

:? :? :? .....what the hecks going on?LOL...which way are we doing it?i thought the original way sounded pretty good.......points and spread..
Its gonna be kinda hard for me to be in the picture with the deer because I hunt by myself and a good ways away from my house(1 Hour)andI could have someone at the deer check staion take a pic.but that wouldnt make for a very nice photo since the check station is behind a gas station :roll: ...

I think crazy farmer should be in charge of the contest
Last edited by bojangles on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
mikej

Post by mikej »

deleted
Last edited by mikej on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Sorry about that, that group only allowed disabled hunters to use crossbows. I removed the sentences.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I still don't think the rules need to change,everyone should read the rules that we had last season it worked just fine, I think they are misunderstood a little, just my thoughts.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
the frenchman

Post by the frenchman »

hi to all
I would like to join but here in Quebec we are only aloud 1 tag

need a team

thank's Michel
what time is it? time to go hunting
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I understand some of the people concerns with numbers of deer allowed .Depending on your geographic location some people are allowed multiple tags for either a buck or doe ,others only one buck and multiple does ,and then like frenchman said only one buck .I personally do not have a clear cut answer . :?
The only option would be to have the teams put together with a member from the different locations to level the playing field .
skamaniac

Post by skamaniac »

I'm a little confused. Can we form our own teams or are they going to be drawn out of a hat? Who's in charge of the contest?

Mike
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

I agree limbs and bolts...the rules should stay the same...it worked last year didnt it?
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

You can make some of the people happy some of the time........

This is just a quick observation from someone who will not be entering the contest. There are so many variables based on geography, game laws and limits that there is absolutely no equitable way to have a level playing field. You need to know this going in. Once you accept this premise and understand that some teams will have distinct advantages over other teams you put the contest in the proper perspective.

What ever rules are decided upon just accept them and try to enjoy yourselves.

The only rule I ever had (and still do) a problem with is the one that allows the harvesting of immature bucks and then entering these very bucks as doe's. I don't care what spin you put on it, this rule flies in the face of accepted conservation practices and casts a poor light on the Excalibur forum. But hey, you all know I am a fanatic about this issue so consider the source.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Doe Master wrote:I understand some of the people concerns with numbers of deer allowed .Depending on your geographic location some people are allowed multiple tags for either a buck or doe ,others only one buck and multiple does ,and then like frenchman said only one buck .I personally do not have a clear cut answer . :?
The only option would be to have the teams put together with a member from the different locations to level the playing field .

That's why there were 4 man teams last season, and I think one five man team, it don't matter where you live just as long as you play, for the unfortunate who can only tag one get on a team that needs that last buck, I know this will work out, remember this is a fun thing, still better practice :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

i'm real confused here, but if its back to four man teams then we will be:

vix
tpm