Broken Cocking Aid

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wildman

Broken Cocking Aid

Post by wildman »

Went to cock my Exocet today and just as I got the string all the way back one of the plastic ears that go on the string broke in 3 different Pieces .. :shock:
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Get ahold of Mr. Miller and he will definitely take care of you .
wildman

Post by wildman »

Doemaster I didn't get my cocking aid from Mr.Miller it was one that I have had around here for a while .After looking at it I'm thinking the little pulley wheel was froze up on it ,causing all the force I was putting on it to break it when it came to full draw .It scared the $$$$ out of me I thought something had broke on my new bow ,one of the pieces hit my wife ...
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I got several but the Red Hot cocker made by Parker Bows, with wheels on the back of the hooks, is by far the best I've seen so far.
Popacap

Post by Popacap »

I hope your wife is ok. Glad nothing broke on the bow. Would that be a dry fire?
2009 Vortex
lumizone
Excel string
125 grn F3 Trophy Ridge broadheads
Firebolt arrows
Stash

Post by Stash »

While we're on the subject...anyone have a suggestion for a commonly available replacement rope for the cocking aid?
mikej

Post by mikej »

Stash wrote:While we're on the subject...anyone have a suggestion for a commonly available replacement rope for the cocking aid?
paracord. i've also heard of using braided rope used for pull starters on atvs
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
gad

Post by gad »

bstout wrote:
wildman wrote:I didn't get my cocking aid from Mr.Miller it was one that I have had around here for a while
This doesn't matter. Dan Miller will help you like a brother.

Dan Miller 740-483-2312 Horizontal Archery
wildman wrote:the little pulley wheel was froze up on it
Have to watch those "little pulleys" folks!

Sometimes the pin has to be driven out and a file has to be taken to the inside where the pulley rides to widen it out a tad. The drive pins are directional. Do not force them out or re-install them backwards.

The pulley shafts have to be cleaned sometimes also. I've also had to take a drill bit and clean the inside of the brass pulleys in order to make them rotate smoothly on the shaft.

Every once and awhile someone will post that they're not getting good groups even when using the rope cocking aid. The first thing that comes to my mind is one or both of the pulleys has excessive drag and is not rotating freely on the shaft.

The string claws should automatically hug the rail as you use the cocking aid. If you're attempting to "aim" or steer the rope cocking aid as you're drawing your bow...you have a stuck/jammed pulley.
Good tip Bob. I just never cleaned mine :oops:
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
wildman

Post by wildman »

Popacap wife is fine ,bow is fine ,and no dry fire because it didn't break till the bow had been cocked ,But did give me a pretty good scare ....Geo..
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H
wildman

Post by wildman »

Popacap wife is fine ,bow is fine ,and no dry fire because it didn't break till the bow had been cocked ,But did give me a pretty good scare ....Geo..
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H
wildman

Post by wildman »

Sorry about the double post :oops:
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H