So what do you use to control those offensive odors?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wdmullins

So what do you use to control those offensive odors?

Post by wdmullins »

The ones that make the deer run away from you.

Don
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

rubber boots, scent lok clothing, scent lok face mask/hat and scent away spray

thats all for me :D no soaps, washing machine stuff and wipes

just the basics with the right wind always do the trick 8)
snapperdan

Post by snapperdan »

hunt into the wind!I tie a small of thread some where on my gun
or bow so i can watch the wind blow it this helpes me watch winddirection
exocet 200
equinox
ground pounder mounts
bar 338 win mag
browning auto 5
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

First and foremost, the wind.
If that is not possible, and it isn't always possible I rely on my borderline compulsive impulse to keep clean, keep my cloths clean and refrain from any foreign odors. 60 days before opening day I switch to scent free deodorant or soaps, no cologne, no scented anything!
Bizarre ritual I will admit, but I have never had a deer turn away from me in a normal hunting situation. My last buck was arrowed at 3 yards, eye level.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I do the same as crazy farmer. In addition, I shower just before leaving to go hunting.

One thing I use also is Pit Stop. Sadly, I'm almost out of it and can't seem to find it anywhere. Has anyone here used it or found more for sale?
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Moxie

Post by Moxie »

BEANO
Terry

Quad 300 x2
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I shower every time before going out. Even if hunting morning and evening. Scent free soap in the shower, Odour eliminating soap in the washer, nothing in the dryer, And scent away spray everything, sometimes a couple of times. (spray..dry..spray..)
I ALMOST never get busted from my stands. My buddy who hunts my stands is almost always busted. Im sold.

Or perhaps my cover scent of gasoline and oil prevents me from getting busted. :lol: :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wabi

Post by wabi »

One of my favorite cover scents -
Coronas

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Use sensible scent control and always use the wind to you advantage!
wabi
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I plug my nose if the odours are too offensive. :lol:
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Big58cal

Re: So what do you use to control those offensive odors?

Post by Big58cal »

wdmullins wrote:The ones that make the deer run away from you.

Don
Normally, a regular regiment of soap and water does wonders! :wink:

Other than that, clean camo each day/outing and playing the wind is all I do (other than rubber boots).
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

If the wind is wrong I don't think there's a thing out there going to hide you, rubber boots stops his nose on the ground, but where ever your cloths brushed they will smell and put them on alert, but they need the wind to find you. Just what I've seen in the past.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
wildman

Post by wildman »

The #1 thing is hunt the wind ,clean hunting clothes I like to let mine hang out on the cloth lines a cpl days drying ,hunt high if you can.. 8)
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H
huntone

Post by huntone »

snapperdan wrote:hunt into the wind!I tie a small of thread some where on my gun
or bow so i can watch the wind blow it this helpes me watch winddirection
What he said......Also wash myself with scent free soap, wash clothing in Sport Wash. Store all clothing and gear in several 50 gal. containers with scent wafers.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
Boo

Post by Boo »

I always hunt the wind. Nothing can stop a deer from smelling a human's breath. I always try to wear gloves as well so what I touch doesn't alert deer. No product can eliminate human odor to a point where the deer cannot smell you when it is down wind from you. At best you can shorten the time your "odor footprint" exists. Does anyone remember the show on TV where people were trying to hide from a dog with all the scent elimination clothing? They couldn't hide from the dog!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Boo wrote:I always hunt the wind. Nothing can stop a deer from smelling a human's breath. I always try to wear gloves as well so what I touch doesn't alert deer. No product can eliminate human odor to a point where the deer cannot smell you when it is down wind from you. At best you can shorten the time your "odor footprint" exists. Does anyone remember the show on TV where people were trying to hide from a dog with all the scent elimination clothing? They couldn't hide from the dog!
I don't believe anyone ever claimed that the carbon lined clothing would take away 100%.

I have experimented with it over many years now and have formed my own opinion hopefully based on facts and not emotions. Here are some things I found:

1. For the first time in my hunting years I have been able to hunt and have deer come in downwind and not spook.

2. I have one pin oak in the corner of a food plot that I've experimented with a lot. I have never been able to hunt from that tree without scent-loc clothing. I get busted every time. The wind is such that it swirls in this area and it is difficult to hunt.

However, I can go out with scent-loc clothing (after I've also showered and sprayed boots, etc.) and hunt that tree. Deer will come within 5 yards of that tree. When they do, they do detect something....but they do not spook.

What happens is that the deer that are close will go on alert and stay that way for a few minutes. The other deer will continue to eat.

3. I believe the most important item in scent-loc clothing is the face mask.
I also believe it should not be worn more than twice before recharging. Here is a typical experience.

One year during rifle season I had hunted a particular blind several times and never got busted. There are 6 runways running in front of this blind and all are downwind!

One runway comes just west of that blind by 15 yards. Many times I've had deer pass me on that runway and never detect anything. One day I decided to hunt without the scent-loc. The wind was extremely light but was such that any deer should get my scent on that runway.

About an hour into the hunt, 10 deer came. They were feeding so going very slow. One doe decided to lead the way and came down that runway. It was like she hit a wall. She snorted and ran back to the other deer which were about 60 yards out. She stopped when she got to the others and all the others just kept feeding. Eventually they passed me and went on the upwind side.

The very next day I again wore the scent-loc and by luck, we had the same conditions except about 10 degrees warmer. This time six deer came on that runway and not one even looked in my direction.

Four days later the only scent-lok I wore was the face mask. It worked.

I have also tried taking the face mask off when wearing full scent-loc. When I do this I get picked off every time. You can say that they see my face and that is what spooks them, but it is not. I've done this in a blind and I've done it in a tree. No difference.

Sorry this was so long.
Keep smiling!
Dennis