pre stretching strings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

M&M

pre stretching strings

Post by M&M »

do any of you pre stretch your strings? I thought I might give it a try. I thought that I could mabe hang the string and then hang a couple of weights from it for a few days. M&M
M&M
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I do, I use a steel jig that Boo made me, puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the string. As far as weights, I think I am probably putting over 200 pounds on that string. A wooden jig is easy to make and very inexpensive, there is a design around here for it somewhere, it may be more suitable for you.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

My Boo string came pretty much ready too shoot. Not much stretch at all. :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I usually do leave my bow strung for a couple of days before shooting it with a new string but with the fff strings they continue to stretch for a while I was just thinking of a way to eliminate some of that shoot in stretching I think I will try just hanging one with a couple of 45lb weights for a while and see if that makes a difference although if anyone has a pic or design for a stretcher I would like to see one mabe I could make one. M&M
M&M
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
M&M

Post by M&M »

thanks Boo that gets my brain a thinkin, doesn't look very complicated at all and should work very well M&M
M&M
dutchhunter

string

Post by dutchhunter »

i have left me bow cocked over night many times in the past 20 years of croossbow hunting with never a problem .DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
mikej

Post by mikej »

bstout wrote:I leave my crossbow cocked overnight after installing a new string.
me too
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

You FFF guys can save a few adj's by setting the string about 3/8" above high line initially, and leaving it cocked overnight a few times.

Another tip I picked up here is to tie the end loops together w/ bread tie on 'broken-in' string and carry it for a spare, bheight doesn't change as the loops can't untwist.
"Eze 18:21"
lscha

Post by lscha »

awshucks wrote:
Another tip I picked up here is to tie the end loops together w/ bread tie on 'broken-in' string and carry it for a spare, bheight doesn't change as the loops can't untwist.
Great idea!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
aerostarp

Post by aerostarp »

lscha wrote:
awshucks wrote:
Great idea!
I do the same but have used a paper clip.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Or just slip one loop inside the other. My favorite way to strech strings is by shooting with them. :idea: :D
greenjoytj

Post by greenjoytj »

I pre stretch my #1989 strings.
I stretch them with a small block and tackle deer hoist and a 300 pound deer weighing spring scale.
I load the string up to 250 lb on the scale and leave it for 24 hours.
I wax it good while it's being stretched.

I don't know if this pre stretch proceedure really buys me anything because the strings still needs to be twisted up a turn or two after shooting and if I continue to shoot then more twists are needed to keep the brace hight at the same spot.

Once the string is shot in I store it with one of those individuel loose leaf binder rings through the loops to prevent untwisting.
08 Equinox, #1989 string, FireBolts with NAP QuikSpin ST Speed hunter vanes, 150gr. Boltcutter BH's, Lumi-Zone scope.
Boo

Post by Boo »

An endless loop string when made as originally intended will look like the factory Excel string. If you pick it up and pull on both ends you'll notice that some strands are longer than the others.
So if you put it on and shoot it righ away you risk breakage. If you give it a couple of twists you will reduce the possibility of damage but twisting and stretching over night is the best.
Some people just like stepping on rakes