I've always herd of recuve cross bows we're louder

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

spiwonka

I've always herd of recuve cross bows we're louder

Post by spiwonka »

Someone put this at rest for me. I've always heard that recurve cross bows we're a little louder then compound recuves. I don't think this is true. For those who have shot both what do you think??
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I shot a nice little Ten Point compound last week at a members house, it was quieter, yes.
The noise difference is minimal, it wouldn't make an ounce of difference to an animal though.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Your quarry won't hear but once :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

im still amazed that people are worried about the sound of a crossbow and try to make it quiet...

again, its like trying to muffle a shotgun.. No matter what you do or what model you shoot its going to be about 7 times louder than a regular compound longbow

as far as a recurve xbow vs a compound xbow, the compound might be slightly quieter since its less draw weight, but you will never really hear the difference

but a crossbow vs a longbow style compound is one heck of a difference in sound. You cant hear my Hoyt;) My excal sounds like a shotgun :P
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

And to think; deer spooked while one is drawing his bow....and it is a recurve bow; or a compound, etc. Or rustle one leaf, or some grass and the deer are gone.

It has always tickled me to watch people trying to muffle their compounds and also their crossbows. As someone said, it won't make a lick of difference to a deer how much you muffle that crossbow.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
spiwonka

Post by spiwonka »

Thats the way I've always thought about it. By the time they figured out something bad was going to happen the arrow is in the ground!!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

spiwonka wrote:Thats the way I've always thought about it. By the time they figured out something bad was going to happen the arrow is in the ground!!
normally 0-25yards sound wont matter much.. when you start pushing 35-40 yards and deer are alert, they can jump the string some. Espically on bows shooting 280 and below.
lscha

Post by lscha »

My husband shoots a TenPoint. He thinks my Ibex has always been quieter than his bow. Now that I have a NGSS and Boo string he REALLY thinks it's quieter. I try to pay attention but I am too much interested in the target to notice that much. I know mine has always been less twangy and has less vibration but I don't think it is going to make any more difference than my .44 mag does to the deer when it is fired if it's the last sound he hears. :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

They have never made a bow a deer cant hear in bow range that is true.
But i cant help my self i still try to make them as quiet as i can. My bows have got to be dead in my hands no shock :)
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I recently read a very well written and researched article that related some of the very latest scientific findings on the hearing ability of deer. The consensus of biologists after compiling all data was that deer hear about as well as humans do.

So, the upshot of the application was that if you can hear it they can hear it ... and perhaps a little better because of those multi-directional amplifiers they have for ears.

In any case, with good arrow speeds and at reasonable ranges, bow noise really is a moot point in deer hunting. This is especially true at longer ranges, because deer react to the sound of the arrow too.

If you don't believe that arrows can be heard coming out at 30-40 yards, just hide behind something impenetrable and have someone shoot a target just beyond you. You'll be surprised!

Take the advice of the many here, Spiwonka!

Crossbow noise is NOT a problem, and you don't have to do anything to dampen or quiet that bow. You CAN, but that's up to you ... and you're the one it'll make a difference to! :D
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

I havent shot a compound crossbow in a long time so I don't know.
I may have to get one to play with. Like a new Scorpyd.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Shot with Pyd awhile back and it was difficult to tell if any difference in sound between my Paradox and his Ecocet. I did put an NGSS on mine to absorb vibration no change in sound though.

After watching several videos the deer move but always seems a little too late and the arrow finds its mark.
Tenpoint Matrix
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

They definitely make different sounding noises. If one is louder than the other ...to a deer...I just don't know.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Heather, the resident doe, was in the clover patch again yesterday. She was at 47 yards and the adjacent target is at 33. Sooo......I loosed one into the target to test her reaction. She didn't even lift her head from grazing. So much for string jump.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've never believe in it any way, if a deer knows something up of course it will react to a noise. the famous shot with the arrow going over the deers back because it jumped the string, the deer was looking at him anyway,and from what I saw on tape he would have missed anyway, just some way to sell something, also just my thoughts.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers