Arrows for equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

will dog

Arrows for equinox

Post by will dog »

I just bought a equinox and got 4 firebolt carbon arrows with the package. I've already gone thru 3 of them. i.e. fletching, pull out of insert.
What is a good replacement for target shooting that I can pick up in most sporting good stores? I'd like to stick with carbons but don't know which to buy. A lot of them have a notched end. :D
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

how did fletching put out? You going through your target? Have shot mine hundreds of times and they are still good. Just broke a few when they hit rocks in the ground. Never had fletching go on them
Last edited by wheelie on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Popacap

Post by Popacap »

Firebolts seem to be the most reasonably priced, and you can buy them anywhere that sells Excalibur Bass pro, Cabelas etc.... I broke my first Firebolt arrow the first day out. The second I am still using. buried it to the fletching 3 times. Shot it through 1" plywood backing behind the target to many times to count. Went out last Thursday Shot a 1" grouping of over 20 shots at 20 yrds with this same arrow. Seems like some are more tough than others. I am in the same boat as you needing more arrows not knowing wich to buy.I think I will buy more Firebolts for target shooting then buy some nicer ones from Crazyfarmer or Dan Miller later when I get more money. The Firebolt is by Easton and they have Easton arrows pretty much anywhere that sells crossbows. Hope this helps.
2009 Vortex
lumizone
Excel string
125 grn F3 Trophy Ridge broadheads
Firebolt arrows
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome will dog, being that your doing a pretty good job breaking carbon try some aluminum 2219 or 2216, not only can you lose fletchings and pull out inserts you can bend these :) just messin with ya. get what they have in a flat nock, you will get all the help you need here to help you along. Some times fletching glue gives way if arrows set on shelves to long,

Wes
Last edited by Limbs and Sticks on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
will dog

Arrows for equinox

Post by will dog »

thanks guys. good info.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Will Dog,

Welcome to the forum. I shoot the Gold Tip Laser II's with the 110g brass insert in the front and 2" Blazers fletched with a 4 degree offset for vanes. This arrow weighs in at approximately 400g with a 100g head. I think that it is one of the most popular arrows on the forum. The 2" Blazers hold up really well compared to the standard vanes.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

welcome... in the real world with any arrow if you bury the vanes or hit grass and weeds its going to rip the fletching(espically over time). Glue plays a big role in the inserts staying in. Ive tried about 5 different types and some wouldnt hold the inserts in for 5-6 shots. Goat tuff glue is some of the best ive seen and you cant pry it out with a tank.

if you need some arrows made up, check out my wesite below. Also you can search for John here since he makes some great arrows also

goodluck and find a target that doesnt alllow you to bury the vanes into it(helps save wear on the vanes)
saxman

Post by saxman »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Will Dog,

Welcome to the forum. I shoot the Gold Tip Laser II's with the 110g brass insert in the front and 2" Blazers fletched with a 4 degree offset for vanes. This arrow weighs in at approximately 400g with a 100g head. I think that it is one of the most popular arrows on the forum. The 2" Blazers hold up really well compared to the standard vanes.

Bob

I use this set up as well with no problems
There are several folks here on the forum that can hook you up with anything you want.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Check Ebay for the Excalibur Firebolts. :wink: I just got 6 off there, new in box, for $41 shipped. That's cheaper than anywhere else I had been able to find. :D
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

fuzzy wrote:If you live in the U.S. do yourself a favor before you go the "custom" route, call Dan Miller at 740 483 2312. Chances are you can get two dozen for the same price of one dozen "customs". No noticible difference in performance, just appearence :wink: :)
bowhunterssuperstore sells them for 57bucks per dozen fletched.. you just have to glue in the inserts

they are 39 per 6 if that helps:)

I just hate the factory colors since they are a PITA to see in flight and if you miss, or try to find your bolt after the shot in the woods. Its amazing what a 4-7inch white wrap will do for you. :lol:
will dog

Arrows for equinox

Post by will dog »

Wow. I'm impressed with all the good tips and sources for bolts. (sorry, not "arrows"). A great forum. I will probably be asking more dumb questions as I get the equinox tuned up for the hunting season.
crazyfarmer

Re: Arrows for equinox

Post by crazyfarmer »

will dog wrote:Wow. I'm impressed with all the good tips and sources for bolts. (sorry, not "arrows"). A great forum. I will probably be asking more dumb questions as I get the equinox tuned up for the hunting season.
ask away;) 8)
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum :)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]