Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Found these at closeout.com.

The price seems pretty good.

Zip to hip also.

http://www.closeout.com/wa-z15059.html
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am a big fan of Carhartt for rugged wear, but today's hunting clothes is much better suited for hunting/sitting comfort, also lighter and warmer.

Big problem though Bob, they only come in camo.. :wink:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
DMc

Post by DMc »

I purchased one of these a few years ago and consider it one of the best investments I ever made. It doesn't fit all your criteria, the leg zippers only come slightly above the knee and when walking the reinforcement patches can make some noise.

But it is quiet enough for stand hunting and the only trouble you are going to have with it is staying awake because you are so comfortable. It even keeps me warm when I ride my side car hack in the winter here in Montana.

I look forward to winter just so I can put it on. :D

Dave

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
mikej

Post by mikej »

i like tough duck's myself but they're not really soft or quiet
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

my brother picked up a pair of artic shield on ebay for quite cheap ...kept him warm in the stand at temps down to -25 plus windchill to minus 30 ....
chrysty

Post by chrysty »

just wondering do you know anyone who could add the zipper to the pants... a tailor or seamstress should be able to do that espcially if you find a set that works on all other counts?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

bstout wrote: For camo clothing...you're paying (dearly) for that pattern!
In this instance I disagree, the clothes you are after are available everywhere at a normal price, you went out of your way to find some that are not camo, and to me that is paying dearly.
Not only are hunting clothes more readily available, the better names are designed to be used by hunters opposed to working folk. I work outdoors in extreme temperatures and I hunt in extreme temperatures, both modes of clothes are built very differently. Good hunting clothes (usually found in camo) are designed for a stationary person, the cut is to accommodate certain positions, like drawing a bow, breath-ability and water repellency and maintaining silence while doing all of the above. Working clothes are made for a very different situation.
I could hunt in my winter work-wear but it would be terribly uncomfortable, in comparison.
The technology in today's hunting clothes is pretty amazing, having it printed in camo is just a bonus.
There is "warm", and there is "comfortable and warm". I may just be spoiled by our warm Canadian climate though. :D
Camo has nothing to do with deer in my opinion, but is is a very needed item for hunting if you are not in a blind.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

bstout wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:Camo has nothing to do with deer in my opinion, but is is a very needed item for hunting if you are not in a blind.
I've killed dozens of deer with a bow & arrow wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans over the years.

You won't feel the same about camo 20 or so years from now as you do now.

You are right about one thing, the deer could give a rip.
I have killed deer in a tee shirt and jeans too, they simply don't see things like that.
But.. If you are not enclosed in a blind a blue jay or chipmunk can put up hours of a fuss and alert everything within miles that something isn't right.
I don't wear camo to fool deer, I wear camo to fool the animals that can see the color as I make my way around.
In a blind you can get away with whatever you want, but if you are exposed there are animals that will pick you out and make a nice walking stalk a very difficult task.
Deer are far from intelligent, but they aren't the only pair of eyes that need to be beat.
Again, I am talking from a walk and stalk perspective. If I were to spend my entire hunt enclosed in a blind or elevated in a tree then a 50" plasma TV wouldn't even matter.
WMU 91
Boo string
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

All in due time Bob, but so it's clear, I won't settle for just one. :D

I am twisting tendons here trying to get myself in shape for my first longbow harvest this fall, a doe will fill my freezer, a Buck will allow us to keep this conversation up, not much of an antler guy, but if that's what makes me a hunter than that's what I will do. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bob,
I'd get some more information on the material those coveralls are made of. Not sure just what the 100% acrylic shell means, but I had/have some leggings that were so loud when I walked I couldn't stand to wear them.
Had the wife apply a camo fleece material over the outside and they work great now. Water doesn't get through (but the fleece gets wet easily), and they are warm!

As for camo colors, in my blinds (black interior) I wear black clothing!
Actually, I wear black or very dark colors the majority of the time in all my stands and blinds, and "polarfleece" is my favorite fabric in winter.
wabi
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Double duty - the lining in my camo jacket is black so I wear my jacket inside out in the blind.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Wabi wrote

As for camo colors, in my blinds (black interior) I wear black clothing!
Actually, I wear black or very dark colors the majority of the time in all my stands and blinds, and "polarfleece" is my favorite fabric in winter.

I'm with you on the black Wabi.
I learned that last season whe I made a kill and looked back into my blind from the kill site.
I could see my camo jack plain as day but not my black one.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011