Handheld GPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shoot Straight

Handheld GPS

Post by Shoot Straight »

Can someone tell me a good GPS unit that is good for hunting ex: tracking deer stands, deer trails etc....
Exocet 200
Varizone
S5 System
Rage 3 blade 100 gr
CrazyFarmer's CowWacker
Big John's LungBuster
Boo String
jay73

Post by jay73 »

I've got a Magellan Explorist 500. I think it's the cats ass!! It has not let me down yet. I bought a couple of cheap batteries and a charger off E-Bay that I just switch into the unit when I need to.

It holds a basemap on the unit and your differenet topo maps just interchange with an SD card. I just pop in a different card depending on what I'm doing. I got a card for hunting spots and one of lakes I fish.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/magel ... ist500.htm

Jay
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I've got a garmin gps12 it's find on water and most woods, it doesn't like heavy cover over head such as thick pines, it needs some opening to get a signal

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

started of with the garmin 12 now have a garmin 60c ....i would definetly go with a coloured screen and one that can download some maps ....been happy with the garmin and product service....would buy another garmin
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

:lol: :lol: I have a Garmin GPS 76CSx and you can't get any better than that in my opinion! :wink: Brampton Mike 8)
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

I have had a Garmin for many years. Its thier base model no maps :cry: or anything fancy but it always shows me where I parked the truck and how to get to it. I would not hesitate to buy more of thier product.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have a Magellan with all the bells & whistles, but decided something simpler was a lot more desirable for most of my outdoors adventures.
Got a Bushnell "BackTrack" and like the simplicity. It will store 3 "waypoints" which is usually all that I need. It also works as a compass.
wabi
Michihunter

Post by Michihunter »

I use a Garmin Etrex Legend. Just logged a little over 7 miles on it this past 4th of July weekend. All of those miles were on foot through heavy northern Michigan swamps. Took me back to my truck everytime. The only thing I have found with it and most if not all GPS units is when you are in real heavy over head cover ( pines, ceders etc.) you can lose satellite reception. Just get to a spot that is clear over head and the reception will resume. I like mine and they can be purchased on E-bay new for a fair price.
lscha

Post by lscha »

wabi wrote: Got a Bushnell "BackTrack" and like the simplicity. It will store 3 "waypoints" which is usually all that I need. It also works as a compass.
Wabi, does this take you back exactly the way you went or does it show you the direction as the crow flies?
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Normous

Post by Normous »

The BackTrack is a nice small easy to use GPS. Using GPS and digital compass technology, the Bushnell BackTrack GPS Navigation System marks any location with the touch of a button, and guides you back to the exact same spot every time. An easy-to-follow arrow points the way to your pre-set location. Nice price point too!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Do you have to "mark" the route or does it automatically do it. Can you backtrack the exact route or does it just show you where your car is located?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

The BackTrack simply marks up to 3 locations, then from wherever you are shows the direction to each location and the distance.
In the pic I took it was showing a marked waypoint (home was the waypoint indicated in the pic) and showing it was .5 mi in the direction of the arrow.
In our area it is very hilly, and it's easy to get "turned around" in all them "hills & hollers". :lol:
I've followed a small creek downstream many times then returned upstream to find myself on a ridge at the source of the wrong tributary and a mile or two away from my truck. :oops: At least with the BackTrack I'll know which direction to follow the ridge to get to the truck. :D
Usually on those outings I'm simply walking the hills hunting grouse, ginseng, squirrels, or just out for a "scout" and not really paying close attention to routes & landmarks. Being a mile or two from the truck is no big deal, but it is nice to know the general direction I need to proceed in to return to it.
If I need to map a route, or wish to know my exact location at any time I'd take the GPS with a map on it, but for simply being outdoors and enjoying a "nature hike" the BackTrack is lightweight, relatively small, and easy to use.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have a Garmin, the one with a built in walkie talkie. It has worked great over the years, one thing I like about is if there is a second person with a second unit the GPS screen keeps track of their location too.
But.. Now I am hooked on my Blackberry. It is a far more detailed map, much smaller and lighter than a handheld GPS, it can track satellites or triangulate with cell towers, both equally accurate. Full color detailed screen too. The best part is that not only can you use it as a simple GPS a single push of a button will transform the whole display to Google Earth! So if you are in a remote location you switch from a digital map to a satellite feed of your location, you can see deer trails in the bush, rivers, ponds, even flooded areas in full color. For a walk and stalk guy that is a pretty handy feature, google earth in your pocket is a very handy tool.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
gad

Post by gad »

Pydpiper wrote:I have a Garmin, the one with a built in walkie talkie. It has worked great over the years, one thing I like about is if there is a second person with a second unit the GPS screen keeps track of their location too.
But.. Now I am hooked on my Blackberry. It is a far more detailed map, much smaller and lighter than a handheld GPS, it can track satellites or triangulate with cell towers, both equally accurate. Full color detailed screen too. The best part is that not only can you use it as a simple GPS a single push of a button will transform the whole display to Google Earth! So if you are in a remote location you switch from a digital map to a satellite feed of your location, you can see deer trails in the bush, rivers, ponds, even flooded areas in full color. For a walk and stalk guy that is a pretty handy feature, google earth in your pocket is a very handy tool.
New to me that the blackberry can track satellites. I think that it could only triangulate between cell towers. Will look seriously at one. :D
I'm all for gun control. To me, gun control is putting 2 bullets in the same hole... UNCLE TED
zeke@pa

Post by zeke@pa »

I have a garmin etrex legend. It works well for marking waypoints and has a tracking feature so you can see where you have been on the screen. As someone else said it does need some open sky, not a problems once the leaves are off, but does have some problems during the summer when in a valley between hills.