Handheld GPS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The newest Blackberry (8900 Javelin) has a built in GPS, maybe more models, I don't know. I actually run three different GPS programs on it and they all work terrific.
Typically, in the past they relied on cellular triangulation, not a lot of value if you are outside of a cellular network, but now they do have receivers. :D Even the old ones can pair up with a Blue-tooth enabled GPS.
gad wrote:
New to me that the blackberry can track satellites. I think that it could only triangulate between cell towers. Will look seriously at one. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

I have 2 Garmins, an Etrex Legend & an Etrex Legend Cx both work excellent & I have also had great support from Garmin when I needed some stupid questions answered :oops:

My wife & I do geocaching with these quite a bit & they usually bring us within 5 ft of the cache which I think is pretty good for leading you to a specific waypoint.

My Cx does tracking & will take you back the way you came (breadcrumb trail).

I will not buy anything else but Garmin for handheld gps's.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Pydpiper wrote:I have a Garmin, the one with a built in walkie talkie. It has worked great over the years, one thing I like about is if there is a second person with a second unit the GPS screen keeps track of their location too.
But.. Now I am hooked on my Blackberry. It is a far more detailed map, much smaller and lighter than a handheld GPS, it can track satellites or triangulate with cell towers, both equally accurate. Full color detailed screen too. The best part is that not only can you use it as a simple GPS a single push of a button will transform the whole display to Google Earth! So if you are in a remote location you switch from a digital map to a satellite feed of your location, you can see deer trails in the bush, rivers, ponds, even flooded areas in full color. For a walk and stalk guy that is a pretty handy feature, google earth in your pocket is a very handy tool.
Ye sh!! BlackBerry works great in the GPS... Still learning mine but sure like it all so far.

Another GPSS unit not cell, that I like is my Delorme EarthMate PN40 hand held is really neat, great coverage in any conditions, great customer service for silly questions, and all the mapping ya need ...
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
skamaniac

Post by skamaniac »

I use a Lowrance with Topo maps. I have the fishing model but it works just as well hunting and is waterproof. Full featured that can show the trail you took. Accepts SD cards with custom maps. I suggest a color model if you're eyes are old because of the better contrast. Reasonably priced.
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

I've got a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx. I got it because it does everything I want a GPS to do (with a few upgrades). I use it for scouting, hunting, fishing etc and mount it on the ATV, motorcycle, car, truck etc with RAM Mounts when travelling. The basemap that it comes with is OK for highway driving in Canada and the US but if you spend a little cash you can upgrade the memory to at least 2GB and then you can install City Select Navigator which gives you a lot more detail on back roads plus 6 million + points of interest (ie restaurants, gas stations, stores, museums etc). Then you can install the Garmin Topo maps. I installed most of the Topo Canada's topo maps on my GPS and still have memory left over.

The antenna might be a bit big and ugly but it works through very dense cover and in downtown skyrise situations without ever losing the satellites. Most other GPS's antennae can't do that. But hey, I'm a function over form kind of guy.
Dennisp

Post by Dennisp »

after reading tons of bad reviews about the magellan gps. I decided on the garmi legend hcx. it has the high sensitivity antenna. I really like the eas of use. and features. Dennis
Exomax
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

I have the Garmin Etrex Legend Hcx,and that model works well in heavy cover.
The Vista model has the compass that works when you are stopped,whereas with the Legend,you need to be walking.
If I had to do it over again,I would go for the Vista Hcx.
Great unit-we had to leave a deer in the deep woods last season,due to darkness and heavy terrain,so we marked the spot as a waypoint and the Legend tooks us right back there the next morning.
Bob Vandrish.