Buck scoring for the deer contest within

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Buck scoring for the deer contest within

Post by crazyfarmer »

ok, since we may edit the rules just to include 1 buck and 1 doe we might need to edit the buck scoring to help set teams apart. I know midwest bucks are bigger and will score more so im hurting myself my asking about this :P

Right now we are just scoring typical pts off the mainbeam and inside spread.

can anyone think of 1-2 other areas we can score thats SIMPLE for everyone to do. I know of a few, but I want to see what others think. Ill for scoring with the B&C scoring system, but not everyone knows how to do that or would have a accurate score.

so this post is just for ideas... if we can find 1-2 other areas to add pts for the bucks then it could help. Last year most of the bucks were within 5pts of each other, but varied alot in size(not obivious by the scores).

but a rough example would be counting nontypical points longer than 1inch or the base of that pt. So lets here the ideas and see what we could possibly change. If nothing can be found, we can leave it be :lol:
mikej

Post by mikej »

how about mass ? or measuring around the base of the antler for an extra point
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Crazy I think the scoring system is what keeps it fair between the midwest and everyone else, but hey I'd love to see points for mass or a boone and crockett scoring system. I'd have to say that would be mass confusion! I'm for any changes in more buck scoring, but I think the odds will tilt even more if you change the scoring! :lol: :lol: :lol:
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i think just adding the non-typical points will do just fine....the mass thing will have any mid west buck stomping any northeast/southeast buck dead in it's tracts that don't have the same genetics as them....so the mass thing should not be allowed....i'd say just keep it to the typical points with the inside spread and add tip to tip measurement in there....cause that measurement can differ big time on any buck.................bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

being honest here i really don't want the hassle of measuring all of the stuff as B & C or P & Y methods. i never liked that stuff & it has gotten ppl nuts about a rack on Bucks. i am more about freezer meat and 1st come 1st served.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

keeping this simple as in how it is now will be the way to go, just my thoughts.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Points and inside spread is fine...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Once again, I am not in the contest so take this for what it is worth.

If you start using anything other then points and spread you are just further amplifying the advantage that certain geographic locations have over others. Remember, this is a deer contest and not a "big buck" contest. Granted it does feature added weight for large bucks in the form of spread and number of points but if you add mass it just skews the balance even further to the big buck states and portions of Canada fortunate to contain the mega bucks.

Perhaps if you need some sort of tie breaker you could use something like brow tine height.

The contest in my view is probably better then prior years due solely to the "buck is a buck" change in the rules. And as the rules address points and spreads it does promote the harvesting of larger bucks while letting the immature bucks walk. To me it is a win/win situation.

I apologize for not participating but as you know I do not shoot doe's so I would only hurt any teams chances despite any buck I might take. But rest assured I will live vicariously through all of you and enjoy the contest immensely.
huntone

Post by huntone »

Don't really matter to me. I'm just going to shoot a few deer and put them in the freezer. Never cared for all that p&y and b&c stuff. Just want to enjoy the contest like Mike P.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

How about a measurement on the doe. Like tip of noes to between the eyes or some thing like that.
That way you would get more points for a adult than a yearling, :)
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Rt2Bowhunter wrote
How about a measurement on the doe
That is a valid point for we all know we need to shoot more does for management . Add more points to a doe .That way it is benefital to shoot a doe .
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

This is a friendly "contest". Last years rules kept it friendly. It was fair. I think by scoring bucks using either P&Y or B&C should be left for the individual to do on their own. If deer hunting is done for pure competition then the hunt has lost it's meaning.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Just back from Virginia and trying to catch up a little.

The reason for scoring two does was for management. I still think we have good rules from last year with the exception of a buck is a buck. In areas where you are not allowed more than one deer, then we should allow those teams additional members . . .enough to even out the limit issue. Limit the number of bucks and the number of does to be scored and go hunt. If you havw more than three team members, then declare how many deer each member will submit. All is fair, well, as can be.

Anytime you start measuring things, it gets complicated. Just talking about it is getting complicated. :roll: We may be over thinking this thing. :) I didn't really care for the spread measuring . . .depending on camera angle, it could easily be 2 inches off. Keep it simple.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I just actaully wanted to help other teams chances of beating Team Va :P :P

but thanks for all the info everyone.. we pretty much all agree to keep the rules the same which works perfectly fine for me :D

sumner, the problem with the 2 doe thing is that some teams have already formed. But they can always add a member.

regardless, one rule thats changing is allowing bucks to score as doe. If you kill 2 bucks, only 1 gets entered as a buck. The other doesnt count at all towards the contest. For doe management, we want doe scored as doe for this contest. Its no need seeing a buck wasted just to count as a doe score in this contest. So if you shoot a buck, he better be big :P :lol:

but thanks for all the level headed replies :lol:
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

sumner4991 wrote: I didn't really care for the spread measuring . . .depending on camera angle, it could easily be 2 inches off. Keep it simple.
how can it be off by camera angle if the picture is taken with the tape in place in the picture....i think that should be a rule that you need the tape clearly in view in the picture as your spread measurement picture....none of the 16" spread bucks saying there 18" just fer some extra points....it may have been this way for last years contest, but i didn't see any pictures like that though...................bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.