NAP spitfire xp proseries broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chuck Gravel

NAP spitfire xp proseries broadhead

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I was looking for some broadheads at cabelas.com and came across the NAP spitfire xp proseries mechanical broadheads. out of 46 reviews 45 recommended them with an average 4.8 out of 5. i was wondering if any has used the for a crossbow. i have an equinox. heres the link to the page:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... =ISO-8859-
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome, someone here will have a answer for you hang in there.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Thanks. I was just looking for some good mechanical broadheads and i narrowed it down between the NAP and the rage. I think i might just try the NAP's because the Rage seemed to get horrible reviews. but that could also be human error. I currently have Excalibur boltcutter broadheads.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, CHUCK GRAVEL!
:D :D

I've never used a mechanical ... but I'm sure you can trust posters here on their experiences ... they know what they're doing. 8)
Grizz
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

They look a lot like the Scorpions. I used them and didn't like the quality. Maybe these are an improved model.

Welcome to the forum!
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Gwens Dilemma

Post by Gwens Dilemma »

2 of us tried Spitfires and found they sometimes opened when shot. This resulted in erratic bolt flight. I lost a deer with a bad hit with them and gave them up. I love Wasp 130 grain cam lock fixed blade and Mar-Den Mini Max 3 mechanicals. I have shot a lot of deer with both in the last 20 years and have not had one of either perform poorly. I keep my shots under 30 yards and they hit where I aim. :wink:
Hope this helps
Dave
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I am a Fixed blade man my self, i shoot wasps allso and love them. But I shop Cabellas a lot and the reviews are a good indicator of the products quality. Good luck on your choice.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Chuck,
As mentioned above, the main differences between the NAP Spitfire XP pro series and the NAP Scorpion XP head is the way the blades are held in place and cutting diameter. The Spitfire uses metal clips and has a 1.5" cut, the Scorpion uses a rubber ring and has a 1.25" cut. Accuracy of the head should be excellent as both the Spitfire and Scorpion XP shoot great. Here is a photo of both.
I personally prefer the Scorpion XP. Numerous folks have had issues with the Spitfire heads opening on launch. I've taken roughly ten deer with the Spitfire heads and all but one performed great. One of them had a blade open prematurely and the arrow veered off course. I still recovered the buck, but it gave me reason to pause. My guess is that I may have bumped the head when taking it out of the quiver and loading it and the blades may not have been fully seated closed. Or, it may have been a worn retaining clip as I tried to reuse one of the heads without replacing the clips. In either case, it may not have been the fault of the broadhead. You just have to pay closer attention to blade retention on the Spitfire series and make sure they are fully seated on good retaining clips. If you do that, they shoot great.

I've found the Scorpion XP to be a great alternative to the Spitfire line. It uses a replaceable rubber o-ring behind the blades to keep them closed. The o-ring is not around or over the blades which could hamper opening, but rather behind the blades. The blades open easier than most and reusing them (with a new o-ring) is not a problem. They also tend to be cheaper than the Spitfire XP Pro Series for some reason.

Here is my favorite Scorpion XP photo:

DuckHunt
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Thanks for all the responses. i think that for awhile im just going to stick to the fixed blades and maybe in a year or two i'll try some mechanical. hey duckhunt that pic. looks brutal in a good way
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125