? vanes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AHBH

? vanes

Post by AHBH »

What is the best vanes/fletches to use on crossbow arrows and have anybody tried the quickspin type from NAP?
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, AHBH! :D :D

I believe you can get acceptable accuracy with just about any quality 4" vane on the market, but you'll find that many on here prefer to use 2" Bohning Blazer vanes. Being lighter, they do increase the F.O.C. (forward-of-center) point of the arrow, contributing to accuracy when shooting broadheads.

If you have some arrows that are shooting well now, I would shoot them until the vanes are worn out, whatever they are! 8)
Grizz
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome to the forum. I did not like the Quick spins because they weigh to much, and they make more noise than other vanes. I use 3" vaneTac vanes my self .
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

fuzzy wrote:Bliiy T himself leans toward feathers :shock: :lol: . Three 4" Truflite feathers weigh only 8 grains :) . Just as tough, more forgiving...other than that what Grizz said. 8)

Birds have no prob with them, neither do I feathers for me.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

2" Blazers. Tough, accurate, light and quiet. Simply great. When it wet out, feathers are, well, for the birds.
Big John

n

Post by Big John »

I like feathers as well. They are very light and forgiving. Use and used them lots. However they are not for bad weather situations, rain, sleet, snow, freezing rain, etc. And not "Near as Tough" or durable as plastic.
When properly applied, all plastic 1-1/2" to 4" vanes work perfect. I have tried many, but Quick Spins are a tad heavy, and more money for negligeable results. I have sold a few sets with them, but, I wouldn't use them as a staple.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

I have shot the 4" QS st they do great.I also had good flight from the max hunter vanes. Feathers are the best for flight. As far as the rain goes. Get you some black magic (you spray it on your tires) from the auto store. spray some on early it has a smell to it but goes away.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

2inch blazers here, but like John said anything from 1.5 up to even 6inches will fly great if applied right.

I personally like the short 2inch blazers since they are tough and light. I also like the 4inch bohning killer vanes which are tough also.

some like quickspins, but those are usually found on the 27-29inch arrows
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

rt2bowhunter wrote:I have shot the 4" QS st they do great.I also had good flight from the max hunter vanes. Feathers are the best for flight. As far as the rain goes. Get you some black magic (you spray it on your tires) from the auto store. spray some on early it has a smell to it but goes away.

Any silicon sprays or dip will stop any prob with water, and it disappears.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
bobby2bears

Vanes

Post by bobby2bears »

I am sold on the NAP QS st's in 4 inch. Lowprofile and really straightened out my arrows. I tried several different types but I like these the best. Make sure you get the new QS st's. Not hard to fletch and so far they are holding up good. Downside is they are expensive.
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

2 inch Blazers are awsome vanes
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
greenjoytj

Post by greenjoytj »

I use NAP QuikSpin ST Speed Hunter vanes.

I bought them to try first because I like the high technology used, like the high profile, short length, kicker rib on one side and rib texture on the other side. These vane tickled my high tech funny bone.

I had my doubts that a 2" vane would stablize a broad head but with so many posters on this forum advocating 2" Bohning Blazers I had to try out a short vane.

So far I am pleased with the result, my 150gr field points and 150gr Boltcutter's are hitting the same POI at 50 yards.

I installed these vanes with just 1.5 degrees of off set so rotations would not get too fast, which would slow down the arrow prematurely and high rotations are noisier.

The only problem I had was scraping that damm cyano crazy glue crap off the firebolt shafts.
I used the square back edge of a OLFA H-1 snap off box cutter knife.
It's slow work but does a real nice job with out damage to the fire bolt carbon shafts. I used Bohning fletch tite Platinum, it's carbon shaft approved glue.

The down side is these vanes cost 3 times what Blazer's cost.

I was betting the high tech nature of these vane would pay off, I think they have, I'm very happy with them.
08 Equinox, #1989 string, FireBolts with NAP QuikSpin ST Speed hunter vanes, 150gr. Boltcutter BH's, Lumi-Zone scope.
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

2" Blazers are what I have switched two this year.
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"The only problem I had was scraping that damm cyano crazy glue crap off the firebolt shafts."

Cresting the shafts with lacquer makes vane removal much easier. Vanes stick to it well but come off with just a vane remover or hobby knife without scraping the carbon. I use white with a short florescent overspray for increased viability. But if you don't want color just use transparent lacquer. BTW, lacquer comes right off with acetone.