This Needs to be Said - The Deer Contest

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

This Needs to be Said - The Deer Contest

Post by Mike P »

Take a deep breath.

Take a step back.

This thing is going off the deep end. And it shouldn't. This is a fun gig, or at least that is what it started out to be. It was supposed to be a good natured contest for some bragging rights amongst a bunch of friends. Form some teams with some forum members, talk a little trash all in good fun and enjoy the ride. CF was good enough to step up to the plate and run the thing and even go so far as to consider creating a website for the standings. Why I even made fun of the entire contest by posting those ridiculous early odds. But maybe I didn't understand things very well. Seems to me some here are starting to take the contest very seriously. And here I was under the impression it was all for fun. Silly me.

People are quibbling over the contest rules. How ridiculous. It is a deer contest across two countries. It is not a level playing field. And it never will be. But last year everyone who participated seemed to have fun to my recollection. And the only thing that CF changed from last year was the elimination of submitting bucks in place of doe's. Because some folks do not have the same opportunity to shoot multiple doe's, he limited that number to one doe per hunter as it was the best solution across the board. And for the bucks he used number of points and inches of spread to gain greater or lesser values. By doing this some thought the contest was gravitating into a big buck contest. Well if not rack measurements what criteria would you propose to measure the bucks? Neck circumference? Scrotum weight? Or should the whole thing gravitate into a deer killing contest? Who killed the most regardless of sex? Poor CF, he never stood a chance.
Mike P wrote:You can make some of the people happy some of the time........

This is just a quick observation from someone who will not be entering the contest. There are so many variables based on geography, game laws and limits that there is absolutely no equitable way to have a level playing field. You need to know this going in. Once you accept this premise and understand that some teams will have distinct advantages over other teams you put the contest in the proper perspective.

What ever rules are decided upon just accept them and try to enjoy yourselves.

Anyone remember reading that? I suppose most don't. But to my way of looking at this thing I don't see why I would want to alter that post. Seems to me that post still carries the same meaning. Yet here we are a scant few days later and people are taking shots at the contest and CF is going "I didn't sign up for this crap" and the contest enters limbo.

The lot of ya should thank Crazy for even trying to get this boat to float. You shouldn't be jabbing holes in the hull. If you don't like the rules, don't join. But have the decency not to fire off salvos across his bow.

And now my twenty-nine year old young friend, I fear I must also take you to task. I have more confidence in your ability to pull this off then apparently you do. Now is not the time to cut and run CF. Stand your ground. Trust me, you are tough enough to absorb the complaints and keep on truckin. At your tender young age you have garnered the respect of an entire community here. Your knowledge and hunting skills are admired and your contributions here at the forum are valued. Who better to run this contest?

Let me put it to you this way. Your resignation is not accepted.

You started this thing. And by gawd if I have to come down there and personally kick your, errrr, have grizz kick your ass, you are going to finish it.

Stand up straight buckaroo, you have work to do.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I haven't read all of it but my opinion is...

CF - make the rules..

if someone doesn't want to play.. that is OK..but it is their loss.

It is supposed to be FUN, not really a competition..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Curves with Recurves will throw a huge pout if there is no contest. It will not be pretty. The only thing worse than a woman scorned is 3 women denied a deer contest....
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

No matter the guidelines it is still supposed to be FUN
I know the chances of me shooting a book buck are slim to nil but that has never stopped me having fun .
The rules are pretty simple now .
CF you are doing a fine job . :)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

CF . . .see what happens when you let the masses decide the rules. :lol: :lol: Obama's deer contest. :roll:

Be a dictator, OK.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

VixChix wrote:Curves with Recurves will throw a huge pout if there is no contest. It will not be pretty. The only thing worse than a woman scorned is 3 women denied a deer contest....

Uh oh!!
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

I agree with everything posted above!
lscha

Post by lscha »

VixChix wrote:Curves with Recurves will throw a huge pout if there is no contest. It will not be pretty. The only thing worse than a woman scorned is 3 women denied a deer contest....
She's right :twisted:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
wabi

Post by wabi »

Last year I didn't participate.
To be perfectly honest. I was afraid rules were being changed to give an unfair advantage to someone.
This year I was asked to be on a team, and agreed to be on the team and participate. I had not much more than agreed when I start reading posts about changing rules!

I'm NOT accusing anyone of foul play!!!!!!!!!!! Let me make that clear!!!!

I can/will still be in the contest even if the rules are changed. I do not think of it as a competition, but more of a friendly challenge to give someone "bragging rights". :lol:

But I must say we need to keep the rules simple and minimal!
One buck & one doe is fine with me. Scoring should be simple.
How about XX points for each deer scored + bonus points for using a crossbow + bonus points for inside spread & total tines of a buck.
wabi
Big John

n

Post by Big John »

Well let me also say this. To put on a friendly competition amongst friends spread out over two Countries is a "JOB", not just fun. Takes alot of work, follow up, data gathering, checking out stats, etc. This while trying to Hunt, work, take care of your Family, watch kids, etc. This leaves no time for anything. For anyone to gripe over rules that the organizer puts forward to try and please a vast many is purely :roll: :roll: This is why he wants out. With all the bickering, pm's, rule adjusting, accusations, people complaining, it just becomes a major pain in the ###!!! Takes the "Enjoyment and Fun" right out of the reason for doing it in the first place.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

This happens every year. The person who is going to put in the time to run this makes the rules that they see fit! If you don't like it don't join in the fun. This gets so out of hand. The prizes should be boxes of tissues! This talk about extra points for bigger bucks not being fair... Where do you want the extra points to come from? How big a little buck would be in two years? It's simple the bigger a buck the more points you score, why would it be any other way? Even if you don't hunt for big bucks, or often see them. I think it's understood that big bucks would get more points. I guess I just don't understand why people think this would be any other way..... CRAZY DON'T LET THEM KNOCK YOU DOWN! SET THE RULES AS YOU SEE FAIR, AND THE PEOPLE WHO WANT TO PLAY WILL, AND THE OTHERS WONT! You have already put alot of time into this and I thank you for it!
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Well said Mike. CF though I am not participating in the contest I do appreciate the time and effort you put in. I enjoyed following along last year and was looking forward to this year. Make the rules as you see fit.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
animal

Post by animal »

sumner4991 wrote:CF . . .see what happens when you let the masses decide the rules. :lol: :lol: Obama's deer contest. :roll:

Be a dictator, OK.
thats funny
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

maybe I came across is trying to edit rules for certain teams. I know that was the last thing intended. If I wanted to do so, I wouldnt have made posts asking for opinions on the changes and what members would like to see. Every change was aired in the open for overall opinions.

The scoring and everything was going to be the same as past contests with extra pts for using a excal, bow, ML'er, and then down to gun. Nothing changes there. The only concern I had bought to attention though Pm's were the number of doe some members could take and scoring extra bucks as doe. Everyone seemed to agree on the changes so other than that I dunno anything that changed. I just wanted to see friends pick teams and have fun. I'd hate to see teams drawn from a hat or members put on teams they dont like. Its all in fun...

Mike, well said man and thanks for the post. BTW, your last post about the odds was all in good fun. I hope everyone took it that way?

Ive gotten 40 PM's about this tonight LOL.. im tired of typing so everyone just hang tight. We have 3-4months before season starts.. no rush guys/gals :P
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I still say we should have a LONGEST COWHORN CONTEST! :P :P :lol: :lol:

Grizz