Need advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Gimpaw

Need advice

Post by Gimpaw »

Hi,
I'm new here. I've been a bow hunter for 30 years, and figured that I'd remain a bow hunter for as long as I could pull back the compound.
3 back surgeries later, I find that bow hunting is going to have to be different. The compound is no longer an option.
I've been doing a lot of research and talking to some folks about crossbows. I've decided that sometimes less is better. I liked the simplicity of Excalibur... no cams to deal with. Now I just need to figure out which model to pick, and this is where you all come in.
My last surgery was Sept. 2008. I'm still dealing with spasms. I've lost some of the muscle tone that I once had.
I'm 6 feet 2 inches ( a whole inch taller since the spinal fusion :) ) and about 190 lbs. I'm still in decent shape, but bending and lifting are done for me.
I don't need the fastest bow out there, but I would like something that would allow me to shoot and kill deer at 40 yards.
Any advice?
Michael Stogre

choice of excalibur models

Post by Michael Stogre »

First off welcome to the forum.
If you are intent on shooting deer out to 40 yards I would suggest you
go with the vortex. I shoot the phoenix myself. The farthest deer I have taken was at 27 yards.
You did mention some medical issues and so I recommend you use the cocking aid that will cut the draw weight in half. You can also use it to let the string down. All this is explained and demonstrated by Bill T on the instruction DVD that will come with your bow. This should help with any bending issues.

Hopefully others will chime in with their experience and advice so stay tuned to the forum, and keep asking questions.

MJS
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Welcome aboard Gimpaw, Any excalibur would fit you nicely. The best thing you could do is go to a dealer and look over the different models. This way you can see which one you like best. Nobody else can tell you that. I have the Vortex and I am very happy with it. I like the thumb hole stock. It is up to you to choose your own. You will find the one you like best.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Any of the excals will do what you want. If you use a crankaroo than you have almost no limitations as to which model excalibur. The negative Ive heard about the crank a roo is it is rather slow, but gets the job done.

Welcome by the way!!! :D
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend.Glad you have decided to join us here.
I shoot the equinox but i am sure any excalibur will do nicely.
Sounds like a crankaroo might be in order for you so you don't have to pull a rope cocker.
I know after a day of shooting my back hurts.
Good luck :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) First of all Welcome to the forum :)
The Equinox or Exomax should do the job for you . Using a crank might be the ticket for a bad back . The nice thing with the crank is you can stop at any point while cocking it .
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome , i would go with the phoenix or the exocet or their thumbhole brothers. you get lots of speed and ke with a lower draw weight . get the rope cocker too . you'll thank yourself
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Welcome to the forum. Like others have said if you use the crankaroo about any Excalibur will work for you. If you use a rope cocker cut the pounds of the bow in half for what you have to pull. I know I have no problem pulling back my 200# Exocet without a rope cocker and its really simple with the rope cocker. But I also know back problems can make the simplest bends difficult. If you think you can cock 100 pounds then the rope cocker is all you will need. If that could cause you any more damage or pain I would definitely get the crankaroo.
Why ride when you can walk!
the elf

Post by the elf »

The only model that the crankaroo will not work with
is the Y25---this from Peter Himself [marketing dude].
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Welcome to the forum. Any one of the bows mentioned will do the job for you if you do your part and shoot accurately and put it in the boiler room.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Welcome fellow Michigander.

I can certainly relate to your problem only too easy.

I have the older exomag. Sometimes I use the rope cocker but mostly use the crankaroo simply because I can not always use just the rope cocker. This will add a few bucks to the purchase price but will last a lifetime.

btw, I've had my bow for a while and it has served me well and so has Excalibur. I had a problem last year and Excalibur went out of their way to make sure I didn't miss any of hunting season. Nice people.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Welcome. Twice cut back myself. I shoot the Vortex and Phoenix. Both, great bows. Cocking the phoenix with just a string cocker. Can also do the Vortex but it's a bit harder. Had the Equinox for a while but it was too much bow for me to cock repeatedly and and enjoy it. Fin myself shooting the Phoenix more and more. But I really like the thumbhole stock of the Vortex.
Guess I'd look at the Ibex were I starting over. Do try cocking one may not need a mechanical cocker. I bought one but don't use it (yet) to noisy and slow.
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

I appreciate all the advice here. After reading your responses and going back to the Excalibur page, I'm leaning toward the Vortex, but I think that I'll head down to the sports shop and shoot one before spending the money.
Thanks for the words of advice and for the welcome. I'll be in here doing a lot of reading.

Tom
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

...but the Ibex looks like a possibility too. I'm beginning to see why my wife likes to shop :)

One more question.
I can get a far better price by buying online. Do you find enough advantages in buying from a local dealer to spend the extra cash?
huntone

Post by huntone »

:D Welcome, I got the Ibex this year and am really enjoying it. I like to do business with Horizontal Archery, our USA warranty center. They are very knowledgeable and give great service.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount