PA - It ain't over till it's over... ;^)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

PA - It ain't over till it's over... ;^)

Post by Woody Williams »

Crossbow curb likely blunted

New game panelist would block ruling

Friday, July 17, 2009 By John Hayes, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Wednesday's confirmation of a new member of the Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners provides near certainty that broad use of crossbows will remain legal in the state this year.

Ralph A. Martone, of New Castle, Lawrence County, was sworn in yesterday as the eighth member of the board, filling a vacancy that opened in January when H. Daniel Hill III of Erie resigned to work for U.S. Rep. Kathy Dahlkemper, D-Erie.

In an interview yesterday, Martone said he supports broad inclusion of the crossbow during Pennsylvania hunting seasons.

Martone's "yes" vote for crossbows would result in a 4-4 tie among board members, who narrowly voted last week, with Martone's seat vacant, to give preliminary approval to regulatory changes that would restrict use of the sporting arm. That vote was not binding for the September archery deer season, when crossbows are still permitted.

A special meeting to confirm crossbow inclusion could be held before the next commission meeting Oct. 5-6.

Under board rules, no action is taken on a tie vote. Should that occur as a result of Martone's vote, a proposal to restrict crossbow usage during archery deer and other seasons would be quashed, and full inclusion in archery seasons would be granted as currently published in the 2009-10 Hunting and Trapping Digest.

Martone said he remained silent on specific issues, including the crossbow, during his state Senate confirmation meetings. He informed other board members of his intent to support crossbow inclusion last night.

"I listened carefully to both sides, went to recent meetings in Harrisburg, read transcripts of the commission's decisions and met with as many people on both sides of the issue as I could," said Martone. "At this point, I am in favor of full inclusion of crossbows. I have done my homework, talking with professionals in the Game Commission and related conservation organizations within the state, and I'm convinced this is not a resource issue. The resource will not be affected by the addition of crossbows."

A longtime archer, Martone said impact of the crossbow harvest will be monitored.

"If the numbers prove there's reason for concern, we'll go back and review the inclusion of crossbows, not the six-week archery season," he said.

Martone is a physics and science teacher at the Shenango Area School District, where he leads classes on white-tailed deer biology, deer management practices and social and recreational influences of deer on society, as well as college prep physics. He is staff adviser for the Shenango High School Conservation Club.

Martone has written outdoors articles for the New Castle News and Pennsylvania Game News, volunteers as a hunter-trapper education adviser and recently served on a citizen's advisory committee for Wildlife Management Unit 1A. A member of several outdoors groups, he holds a bachelor's degree in physics from Westminster College and an associate's degree in business administration from Penn State.

Board members serve with no salary. His term expires Oct. 14, 2014.

On other issues, Martone said he supports the state's deer management plan and the restoration of a reproducing pheasant population, and is a booster for hunter and trapper youth programs.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09198/98 ... z0LWDCb3Fu
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Sounds like good news for Pennsylvania crossbow hunting :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Finally got someone in the right position that knows and cares about hunting and the game we hunt, good for Pa. :) thanks Woody

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

they need to keep it full inclusion at least this year to see any impact on the herd....but anyone in PA that knows the report card method doesn't work to full capacity if every hunter doesn't send it in....or the guys againest xbows in archery season mark xbow kill on there compound kill on there report card can really screw up the harvast results in a big way just to get xbows tossed out of archery season....it has been threatened that will happen by them....in 1986 PGC went from report card harvast data to an estimated system and in 1987 the harvast numbers have double since then....they figured that every report card that is sent in there is one that isn't, that's a 50% reporting they use to give harvast numbers....PA needs to go the route of check stations as N.J. has or had....i know PA is a big state but the true numbers need to be known and not just an estimate of deer taken....you don't get a second deer tag like now but when you check your first deer in you get the tag then, i bet everyone will report there deer in pa then....i used to live in N.J. and seen how the check your deer worked to get your second tag..................bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
mikej

Post by mikej »

great news
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Rocketman

Crossbows in PA

Post by Rocketman »

I hope they at least give it a chance this year before jumping to conclusions. I've stated my case for allowing crossbows in PA archery for a couple years now. I've even got on the Bowsite.com PA forum and given my vote for full inclusion during archery season. I've been a bowhunter for years and I still like shooting a bow, and will probably hunt with my new Bowtech Constitution this fall. But, I also will probably take my Excalibur out some too. I get just as much a thrill when I kill a deer or Bear with my Excal as I do with a compound. Many of the guys who are against crossbows have probably never even shot one and think its like using a rifle. I've argued that a well placed shot with any weapon of choice, and a quick kill is what every hunter wants and should strive to acheive. Some people can accurately shoot a traditional bow or compound under pressure at live animals, and some struggle with this (TP) and miss or worse, make a poor hit. In my opinion a crossbow allows you to take your time and make a more accurate, well placed shot. You don't have to draw the bow (less movement ), you don't have to hold the string back at full draw (sometimes for what seems like forever), and you can just wait and concentrate on making a good shot.
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

When the pgc allowed a 12 day doe harvest with rifles the deer herd started gettin smaller. I think they should go back to the 3 day doe only season. More land is getting posted and it keeps getting harder to find any deer. I have a disable permit and Lifetime lic. Last season I got an 8 point on the first day of rifle. Had a doe tag also. I hunted the rest of the season and after christmas with the flinter. I did not see another deer.
Before the 12 day doe season I would see deer all the time.
I think this is the reason for a smaller herd not the crossbow hunters.

Stosh
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

That's great news for PA hunters! Image I wish KY F&W Commissioners would have enough backbone to do this. As it stands now, they tried full inclusion at first, but finally caved to pressure from vertical bow shooters to limit it, even though a survey they had conducted showed that better than 60% of hunters statewide were in favor of full inclusion.

Cudos to Ralph Martone for keeping an open mind and listening to both sides of the argument and doing his homework! Image
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
will dog

Post by will dog »

Wisconsin has had a mandatory registration for over 50 years. None of this guesswork to make important decisions like this. If you have too many deer why should they care how they are harvested?
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I email him and called several times. As a old guy that has bad shoulders and elbows it was time for me to change to a crossbow. I don't need a disability permit I just wanted to be able to hunt.
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum Shotnbeer
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
stacky71

Ralph A. Martone is the man

Post by stacky71 »

I hope he sticks to his guns and some of the others don't cave in and change their vote. PA needs this!
Many hunters or getting out of the sport.
This may bring alot of youth hunters back in to the sport, including my two daughters. Both crossbows and compounds have thier advantages and disadvantages so WHY NOT! Try getting a 2nd shot with a crossbow if you do let me know.Any way thats a different subject.
Thank You! To Ralph A. Martone
Dale Stackhouse
Hunt Hard! And it will pay off!
Stacky71
Bloomsburg PA
Equinox Lumi zone
[img]http://i393.photobucket.com/albums/pp15/Huntingchick0125/wildlife/white_tail_deer.jpg[/img]