Earn A Buck!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

That is a fantastic rule!!

And this is coming from a guy who has not killed a doe in four years.

I am the one that seeks that "huge ornament" you mention bstout.

I do however understand completely the need for a realistic buck/doe ratio as when it is "out of whack" it adversely affects not only overall deer herd health, but it makes bucks unresponsive to calling during the season.

What we try and do to participate in this type of management is bring in "guest" hunters to kill the doe's. It serves a two fold purpose. First, obviously it thins the doe's down to better numbers. But more importantly, it allows novice hunters to experience their first success at taking a whitetail.

Earning a buck has never been a bad thing.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I love the idea. I'd like to see Ohio go to something like this.
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

In Wv this is the first year. We are having a early bow then muzzle loader season. Doe only its in september. I have read about earn a buck. sounds like a good idea. I havent shot a doe with a bow in i couldnt tell you how long. I know we should
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I am OUT of venison so opening day is a meat day as long as it is adult doe it is going down :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
diesel

Post by diesel »

I would like to see that in Ohio also, or maybe go a doe only season for a year.
Just think of what that would do for the herd. If for one year no one could shot a buck only Does.
I'm sure it will never happen because of the sale of permits would be way down.
I've not shot a Buck in 4 years now due to they were to young and to small and small horns make poor soup.
philman

Post by philman »

I like the earn a buck thing. I wish the MNR would try something like that here in Southwestern Ontario. I usually see at least a dozen does before seeing anything with antlers and its usually not a mature buck. I think it would be good to even it out a bit. I always fill my freezer with doe meat early in the season and I enjoy the hunt just as much as when Im shooting a mature buck. I think it would be perfect for the shotgun/ml seasons as well. Just My Opinion.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I would not like it.

Although it might seem easy to kill a doe first.. what happens if Mr. Big comes along first?

In states where there is no physcical check in there would be a lot of "ghost does" killed..

I would rather see the DNRs educate the deer hutners on the importance of killing at least one doe for every buck then let them decide when to shoot what gender of deer..

Educate, not mandate.....
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Woody Williams wrote:I would not like it.

Although it might seem easy to kill a doe first.. what happens if Mr. Big comes along first?

In states where there is no physcical check in there would be a lot of "ghost does" killed..

I would rather see the DNRs educate the deer hutners on the importance of killing at least one doe for every buck then let them decide when to shoot what gender of deer..

Woody, I see where you are coming from, and of course with every rule change there will always be those that attempt to circumvent these rules.

I suppose "Mr. Big" could come along prior to "Mrs. Big" but it is my experience that I always, and I do mean always, have many opportunities to harvest a doe under my tree prior to getting Mr. Big to visit. There would be no phantom doe's here in Ohio as every deer must be taken to the check station. But your point is valid for Ohio in the future as we move to a "phone it in" system. Ohio has a problem with hunters who also hold Kentucky hunting licenses registering Ohio killed deer under their Kentucky license via Kentucky's lack of a physical check.

I also subscribe to education over mandates, but sometimes that education just does not take hold and laws and rules must be implemented to achieve the desired results. Ohio's one buck rule is a perfect example.

Sometimes drastic actions are needed to overcome a serious problem with a deer herd. This could just be one of those instances.
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Mike P wrote:
Woody Williams wrote:I would not like it.

Woody, I see where you are coming from, and of course with every rule change there will always be those that attempt to circumvent these rules.

I suppose "Mr. Big" could come along prior to "Mrs. Big" but it is my experience that I always, and I do mean always, have many opportunities to harvest a doe under my tree prior to getting Mr. Big to visit. There would be no phantom doe's here in Ohio as every deer must be taken to the check station. But your point is valid for Ohio in the future as we move to a "phone it in" system.
Indiana is moving that direction also. I'm sure when it is all said and done all states will go the telecheck method.

It does not have to be "ghost does". In the case of mandatory physical check ins it can be "borrowed does". In the course of a day one doe could equal several as buddies keep checking it in again and again.
Ohio has a problem with hunters who also hold Kentucky hunting licenses registering Ohio killed deer under their Kentucky license via Kentucky's lack of a physical check

Telecheck would have nothing to do with that. The KY feller could just stop at any check station just inside the KY border and check it in. It is a valid KY deer as long as the "hunter" had his tag filled out. Outlaws are outlaws, no matter how they check them in or not.
I also subscribe to education over mandates, but sometimes that education just does not take hold and laws and rules must be implemented to achieve the desired results. Ohio's one buck rule is a perfect example.
LOL... Illinois has two buck system, kill them both with guns even. That goes for non-residents also and look how many NRS are paying big dollars to hunt Illinois.
Sometimes drastic actions are needed to overcome a serious problem with a deer herd. This could just be one of those instances.

You got to determine what is "serious" and not serious..before mandating restrictions. The more restrictions out in place the more deer hunters we will lose.
Woody Williams

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

"Gender" should be stressed if the goal is herd reduction....

If it is kill a button buck and then you can kill an antlered buck is step backwards..
Woody Williams

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

There is no one solution in rule making . . .just like the deer contest. :lol:

There are large differences in deer herds within counties. It's got to be near impossible to control a state's herd with blanket rules.

Virginia has county limits, which is more plausible than state limits as far as herd management is concerned.

I like the earn a buck idea in those areas that need thinning.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Rich

Post by Rich »

I wouldn't mind if VA went to a program like that, however we have a 3 buck limit so I would like to see a program where you can kill a buck first, then have to take a doe before your second and 3rd buck. My luck, bullwinkle would step out on opening day and I wouldn't be a ble to shoot.

Rich
skamaniac

Post by skamaniac »

I usually save my antlerless tags for muzzleloader season, but you never know when i might decide it's time to fill the freezer.
'Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who did not.'
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I watched a man yesterday shoot 3 does in less than a minute, the herd has to be lowered ,on this farm it's nothing to see 50, 60 deer at one time, I use to do this for a few different farmer's, really got tired of killing and couldn't do anything with the meat to me a waste, but to the farmer it's money I don't think earn a buck would work around here.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rich wrote:I wouldn't mind if VA went to a program like that, however we have a 3 buck limit so I would like to see a program where you can kill a buck first, then have to take a doe before your second and 3rd buck. My luck, bullwinkle would step out on opening day and I wouldn't be a ble to shoot.

Rich
I'd love to see it because im sick of locals shooting 4 and 6pt 12inch wide stuff but passing 14 doe before they shoot. Note, its a free country and everyone has their hunting rights. But its about 20 doe to every buck here :shock:

I'd rather eat a doe then a tough little buck. But some are obessed with knife handle racks here :P

if it happens, it happens and I see it in the future for us unless some start shooting doe, espically in the late season. I's just like Mike P, I want the biggest one out there. But I also take quite a few doe later in the year also. You can be a trophy hunter throughout the season but you can also manage doe 8)