Dry Fire

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

will dog

Dry Fire

Post by will dog »

Opps! I finally did what all newbies will likely do. I shot thinking a bolt was in the equinox. Guess what, it wasn't. My first (hopefully last) dry fire. I checked for limb damage but couldn't see any. Anything else I should check for before I cock it again?? :o
Big John

g

Post by Big John »

I would check the dissipator bars to see if they bent. Make sure there are no splinters on the limbs, cotton ball will work. If the string is okay and everything good still, go ahead and fire off some more.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
huntone

Post by huntone »

I was advised by someone here on the forum to change the string after a dry fire. It's hard on the string.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
will dog

Post by will dog »

I just fired it about a half dozen times with no apparent harm. The one thing I did notice is that I just put on a new excel string and gave it two twists resulting in a 1 3/16 brace height. I measured after the dry fire and it was a 1 inch brace height. Now after firing its 15/16. Just string stretch???
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome to the club.
Get yoursel an NGSS system and a boo string.they will help protect your bow.
Last edited by saxman on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Boo

Post by Boo »

It is going to be difficult to know for sure that there is no damage to your string. I would first remove the string and critically inspect each strand. Take a good look at the loops for any real serving separation. Look for any fraying of the stands at both the loops and the main part of the string. Certainly the safest thing to do is to replace the string but if you choose to use the string keep an eye on the brace height. If you get a lot of creep afterwards toss the string. Put a white paint dot on the side of the rail to mark your brace height which everyone should do anyways.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
will dog

Post by will dog »

NGSS system??? What is it?

a lot of good advice, thx.
I will replace the string. What is the correct twists for a new excel string? Two full twists, counterclockwise??
Also what brace height should I have for an equinox?
Thanks for your help.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Here's the info on the highly recommended NGSS:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=26710
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you replace the string install it with a few twists and let it sit over night before shooting. Don't forget to wax the string before installing it. If you are looking at the end of the string you should rotate the string counter clock-wise.
Most have their string with a string width or two below the highest brace height mark.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
will dog

Post by will dog »

Hate to keep asking the dumb questions. But I'm not able to find brace height marks. Where are they??
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Scribed very lightly on the top of the rail. The 'high' one is about 1 1/4" from end of the rail.

When I 1st joined the forum, I read nearly every post and for sure every thread going back to as far as they went.

I found a lot of guys consider the serving just touching the high mark[aka 1 1/8" a 'sweet spot'.
"Eze 18:21"
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I don't think you can stress enough that the very first accessory any new Excalibur owner should acquire is the NGSS system.

New owners just seem to be more prone to dry fires versus more experienced users although we all know that it has happened to some of the forums most experienced members.

The system allows for a certain "peace of mind" for the new user and also contributes many other desirable features such as noise suppression that will greatly enhance the entire crossbow shooting experience.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Sorry that happened Will Dog, as said ngss and boo string help protect your bow and you, I will never be in the club you just joined Mike P can take Vegas odds on this :wink:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Actually, it's good you got it put of your system, man. Now, people like us, put their safety on first thing after cocking, then glance to see if the 'gun is loaded' before EACH shot. You just proved you are human. Welcome to the dry fire club. :lol:
will dog

Post by will dog »

Everyone sure seems sold on the NGSS.
Some obvious questions----
Why doesn't Excalibur put these on the bow if they are helpful?
How much weight does it add?
Whats the cost?
Just what do the intials stand for?

Thanks everyone for all the help!