Which stock do you prefer?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SPITFIRE

Which stock do you prefer?

Post by SPITFIRE »

I am partical to the thumbhole stock :D and was woundering which stock you guys/gals like on your xbow? And reasons for choosing one over the other. I think this will help new people to decide which to buy. Hopefully it will answer many questions.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

I'm in the deciding stage right now, and found the folks here to be helpful. Just today, I had someone answering questions. I was told that the thumb hole was ok, but that you have to let go of the stock to flip the safety.
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I prefer the standard pistol grip stock. Tried a thumbhole, and found it created a problem for my in that I had to disturb my grip to flip the safety with my thumb. With the pistol grip stock I can move the safety on/off with my thumb while maintaining a solid sight picture.
Since I never move the safety to off until I'm ready to pull the trigger the pistol grip stock suits my shooting method best.
wabi
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

I really like the looks of the thumbhole stock, now if i could find one and modify it to fit my Paradox.........
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

wabi wrote:I prefer the standard pistol grip stock. Tried a thumbhole, and found it created a problem for my in that I had to disturb my grip to flip the safety with my thumb. With the pistol grip stock I can move the safety on/off with my thumb while maintaining a solid sight picture.
Since I never move the safety to off until I'm ready to pull the trigger the pistol grip stock suits my shooting method best.

Same here,could have something to do with there weren't any thumb hole stocks when I started shooting on anything, tried didn't like them

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Gimpaw, I do not take the safety off until the stock is on my shoulder. My left hand holds the stock tight to my shoulder so takeing the safety off with my right thumb is not a problem at all. Same way using a rest. I assume it would be the same for a lef hand shooter.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I like the thumbhole because it puts my hand and wrist in a more natural position requiring less effort in taking an off-hand shot. The angle of the grip on the Y25 is prefect to me. The only problem is that the stock on the Y25 doesn't make a good shock absorber when performing acrobatics on a quad! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Got one of each. Prefer the TH.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

thumbhole;) I cant see any issues with my thumb flicking the safety off with the thumbhole. I guess long fingers help :P

I like the thumbhole for added grip and I always shoot better with the thumbhole. I actaully just ordered a thumbhole stock for my pro hunter since I like the feel of them :D
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Boo wrote:The only problem is that the stock on the Y25 doesn't make a good shock absorber when performing acrobatics on a quad! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Perhaps if you quit shooting the poor quad it might perform those acrobatics a smidge better!
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I prefer thumbhole stock, not the factory one, but rather my custom made one. If I had to choose between the two factory stocks, I'd pck the standard one for various reasons.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I prefer the standard stock for a couple of reasons. One is the safety access mentioned earlier, very important for me for both hunting and 3D. Another is while the thumb hole may seem more comfortable for "holding" the bow it is not as conducive for "pointing" the bow. Any one who's done enough shotgunning knows how important front and back hand alignment is for taking advantage of our natural pointing ability. I know a crossbow relies more on aiming than pointing but I always feel like I'm fighting any natural shooting instinct I have when shooting a thumb hole or pistol gripped stock. Too many years of swinging a shotgun. :? Thirdly, I like the looks of the standard stock over the thumb hole. :)
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
RabidPSUfan

Pistol grip for me!

Post by RabidPSUfan »

I have an Exocet and "had" a Vortex (Thumbhole) which I gave to a good friend of mine. I like the looks of the thumbhole stock but....
Like a few others, I cannot reach to flip the safety very easily with the thumbhole design, plus I also found myself squeezing the daylights out of the grip area. Don't know why that was, but it was....My friend doe snot seem to have the same issue and shoots the Vortex very well.
Now, for me the pistol style on my Exocet seems perfect:)
I can reach the safety easy while having the bow to my shoulder and I don't "overgrip" the stock.
Still like the looks of the thumbhole though.....
lscha

Post by lscha »

I prefer the thumbhole. Had to pick it up and try the safety when I read the posts and found I don't grip to shoot or put my finger near the trigger until I flip the safety off and I'm ready to shoot. My shoulder holds the bow in place and my hand is along side of the grip when I'm looking through the scope.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

I also perfer the thumbhole stock. i have no problem with flipping up the safety when holding on
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125