Crossbow Article

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JRS

Crossbow Article

Post by JRS »

Was reading a crossbow story on another site written by one of our members here. I was a little perturbed about one paragraph.

The hardest thing that I have had to overcome is letting the animals get to within twenty yards or less. For thirty-three years, I have hunted with a vertical bow and have become very adept at getting within this range of wild game. Now that I am using a crossbow, I keep forgetting that I am good out to a hundred yards and continue to close the gap to the twenty-yard range. Perhaps time will allow me to overcome this little quirk in my hunting behavior.

http://www.huntingnet.com/fieldjournal/ ... x?nID=1129
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I haven't been here long,but I've been around shooting sticks a good while, If he'd said 50/60 fine, not saying it can't happen but sounded like he could shoot one at a hundred when ever he wanted,ANOTHER NAIL :x

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Well, this should make for an interesting discussion! :shock:

I've got to admit that I'm rather surprised to see the name of Daniel James Hendricks, the editor of our Horizontal Bowhunter Magazine, attached to such an absurd statement.

Could this be a misprint?

Daniel knows better than that! His own magazine's website states:

CROSSBOWS: MYTH & FACTS

FACT: Crossbows, like vertical bows, have short range capabilities ...

FACT: Experienced rifle shooters can expect to quickly achieve tight arrow groups on targets up to forty yards (the effective hunting range of a crossbow) ...

Surely that is a misprint (or an intentional fabrication) in the Hunting.Net article.

Something's wrong here!

Let's let DJH explain before anyone crucifies him!
:!:
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'm with DJH . . .whatever he said or says . . .I for one will stand behind him. Maybe he is good out to 100 yards. However, I'm betting it's a misprint or something. It certainly isn't what he has been promoting in his previously writings.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

There is something not right here. I have talked to Dan a couple of times on the phone he is too knowledeable and professional to have said that in that content. I just do not think he would have said that. I am waiting to hear his side.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Boo

Post by Boo »

You guys are mis-reading/mis-understanding what he says. He says that now that he has a crossbow he keeps forgetting that he is good out to 100 yards. Meaning that he no longer looks at game as shootable at 100 yards and that his range is far shorter and closer to 20 which he did when he shot a vert bow which is illustrated by he next statement "continue to close the gap to the twenty-yard range"
Granted it can be easily mis-read but he really means the opposite of what you think. Dan would be the last person on earth that would shoot at an animal at long distances.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Boo wrote: Dan would be the last person on earth that would shoot at an animal at long distances.
That's what I think, too, Boo.

Like I said, he knows better than that! His statements on the magazine's site make that clear ... that's why I posted them. :D

I felt like there must be some misunderstanding!

I do think he might need to do a little judicious editing, if he can! :D

It's good so many here have granted him the benefit-of-the-doubt ... only on the Excal forum! :wink:
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

By the way, Dick ... can't you see if you can find a bigger picture next time? :shock: :!: :P :lol: :lol: :wink:
Grizz
Boo

Post by Boo »

I called and left a message.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Boo wrote:I called and left a message.
Good work! Maybe he can access that template and re-word the statement!

He sure has done a lot to help crossbow hunters everywhere.

I was surprised to learn that he had not been a full-time crossbow hunter until recently! :D

Of course, I use other stuff, too. 8)
Grizz
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

it makes the fish look Bigger :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikej

Post by mikej »

i'm sure it was just misinterpreted also or perhaps even sarcasm
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
DJH

Post by DJH »

Okay, my dear friends, I am sorry to cause so much confusion and wild speculation. Obviously all of you have heard the wild claims by the anti-crossbow movement that crossbows are capable of 5-inch groups at a hundred yards. Obvious also is that sarcasm does not come across well using the written word. I personally hesitate to take a forty-yard shot and most certainly would never take a hundred yard shot. I was trying to be humorous using ridiculous mockery of the crazy things the anti-crossbow gang spews on a regular basis. Obviously, the joke was on me because I am apparently unable to get what I considered to be "clever humor" across to you. Sorry! We all realize that any shot (for the vast majority of crossbow hunters) over 40 yards is an unethical shot. Personally, my favorite shot is twenty yards and the only thing I like better than a twenty-yard shot is a ten-yard shot. If my quarry is coming towards me, I will let it come just as close as it can. Again, sorry for all of the confusion, but you must admit that this is really a fun little thread.
It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!

Daniel James Hendricks
POB 251
Glenwood, MN 56334
320-634-3660
Email: [email protected]
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thank You for the explanation I knew something was not coming across the way you intended. Please keep up the Great work you are doing for the crossbow community. Thank God you are not a Politition your career would be over :lol: :lol:
JRS

Post by JRS »

DJH

Knowing your commitment to crossbows, I was not sure what to make of that line in your article. Thanks for making your intentions known. The only thing that still bothers me though, is that the uninformed will take that line as truth. Anyone that has practical experience with a crossbow will obviously know differently, as evidenced by the posts on this thread.