crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

crossbows

Post by dutchhunter »

how many of you guys and gals practise shooting and cocking your xbows with out the cocking rope .i left my rope behind one day and was glad i could get my bw cocked it took everything i had to do it but i had practised the new bows are tough on the hands my xocet 200 was no problem but now i shot the equinox and it is hard to do DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
lscha

Post by lscha »

If I don't have my crankaroo, I won't be shooting. Sometimes I wish my bow had an Accudraw but I would still have to remember the crank. I don't even care that I have to have a device. Small price to pay to be able to bow hunt again.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I practice on the Vixen . . .not with the Max. I have gotten to the woods before without my cocking rope. Fortunately, I had the Vixen that time.

Practicing cocking without an aide is important for those with the ability to do so. Sometimes we forget things and sometimes, for a second shot, without an aide is much faster.

The technique is critical because only a properly cocked bow will shoot straight.

I have cocked the max before without the cocking rope . . .that's when I decided never to do that again! :shock:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I find it "uncomforatable" to cock the equinox without the rope cocker! but it can be done. Last year it looked like I would have to take a second shot from the tree stand, I cocked that thing sitting down with no problem. Its amazing what the human body can accomplish when the adrenalin is flowing. :lol: (first shot was good afterall and didnt need the second shot, by the way)
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I can do it, but I'd rather not. LOL
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I can cock my Exomax by hand ... but I'll tell you why I don't:

It's the same reason I don't shoot longbows and recurves without a tab or glove: NERVE DAMAGE TO THE FINGERS!

Cocking a heavy crossbow or drawing a heavy bow without protection for your fingers is both dangerous and foolish. Granted, there may be an occasion in the "heat of battle" when you'll do it :P :lol: ... but it's not something to make a practice of.

Besides, there's just no good reason not to use the rope cocker. I would on a Vixen, too. :D
Grizz
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Exomax + Crankaroo = Happy Hunter :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Phoenix_Tom

Post by Phoenix_Tom »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I can cock my Exomax by hand ... but I'll tell you why I don't:

It's the same reason I don't shoot longbows and recurves without a tab or glove: NERVE DAMAGE TO THE FINGERS!

Cocking a heavy crossbow or drawing a heavy bow without protection for your fingers is both dangerous and foolish. Granted, there may be an occasion in the "heat of battle" when you'll do it :P :lol: ... but it's not something to make a practice of.

Besides, there's just no good reason not to use the rope cocker. I would on a Vixen, too. :D
I couldn't have said it better myself Grizzly Adam. Knowing it can be done is one thing. Practicing it regularly just in case I forget the rope cocker is not going to happen. But one thing I should do more of that I never seem to do is practice cocking from positions other than standing. Come to think of it, that might be the perfect thing to do up at the camp this 16th consecutive weekend of rain...
perrysbirds

Re: crossbows

Post by perrysbirds »

dutchhunter wrote:how many of you guys and gals practise shooting and cocking your xbows with out the cocking rope .i left my rope behind one day and was glad i could get my bw cocked it took everything i had to do it but i had practised the new bows are tough on the hands my xocet 200 was no problem but now i shot the equinox and it is hard to do DUTCH
I like the cocking aid.I think its there for a purpose.You probably could injure yourself.I use the aid!I almost took the top of my finger off last year,I was lucky and only lost a nail!
If im not out shooting deer.
Im home drinking beer!
2007 exomax
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I can load my exocet without it but prefer to using just my hands alone . I know for sure that when I use the cocking aid all will be true .
flintman

Post by flintman »

I have done it but I dont like to.
Vortex
Varizone
Wasp
South Central Kentucky
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I can cock my Exomax by hand ... but I'll tell you why I don't:

I never meant for anyone to do that without proper protection, such as a glove. The only time I tried the Max was with a glove. However, the Vixen is easy and I have never felt any type of nerve issues from cocking it by hand without a glove. I haven't done that much, but, I've done it enough to be comfortable with the process.

I perfer the rope. However, there has been at least one time, the rope was still at home. At that time, it was as good a reason as I could come up with to cock the Vix by hand. :o I was glad I knew the proper way to cock the bow by hand . . .otherwise I would have went home and lost that day of hunting.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

sumner4991 wrote:I never meant for anyone to do that without proper protection, such as a glove. The only time I tried the Max was with a glove.
I'm sure you didn't, Scott. :D

I hadn't even read your reply when I made mine. I was just telling the tale on something a lot of "instinctive" shooters have learned the hard way ... it doesn't take much of that sort of pressure to hurt your fingers! :D
Grizz
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

Im 19 and i've tried to get the equinox by hand but am short about 2 inches from the trigger. Hurts the hell out of your hands. will have to try sitting down and cocking it without aid.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

sitting might help, you use the leg muscles then and not the back as much. Still "hurts the hell out of your hands" though. Wear gloves! :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-