O/T Frog Hunting Victory

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hoss

O/T Frog Hunting Victory

Post by Hoss »

Well this is the time of the year when the bullfrogs are a plenty. weve been going frequently lately. we have alot of frog legs frozen so far. This night was are best---Had a blast-- me and some buddies killed 47 frogs. I got to dang close to a cottonmouth, I was in about 3 ft of water walking in the creek, there was alot of that grassy stuff making it hard to see the frogs on the bank. as I was parting the grass I saw a big ole bull frog right on the bank. as I made my way closer I picked up some movement right below the frog in the water. I stopped and gandered to see what it was, I hit that area with the light and there it was he was just laying in the grass looking at me, I probably messed up his hunt. He was as big around as a baseball bat, probably a 5 footer. I nudged him with my frog gig he started moving right towrds me but I stayed still and he swam on by me, thats what they usually do but its still hard to be still when they are coming right by you..Anyways I got the frog and went on my way. We saw one more later on but that was it. It was a great night..30 pack a budlight and good buddies and plenty of frogs..Going back out tonight..Nothing like it. Taking a rookie out with us tonight my daughters boy friend is ready to test his nerves after all our stories. He filled his belly with Teraki marinated frog legs so hes ready to learn how to stock the freezer with the tasty Amphibians. Its going to be a Hoot..

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/ ... /Frogs.jpg[/img][/img]
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Nice!
How do you like that Zebralight? I have one on it's way here this week.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Im sure you Know but this is the one with the 18650..I love it D. my buddies are saving there money to get one. It lights up so much area everyone turns there light off when we are walking to and from the truck and mine lights the way\.. Its the best headlamp i have ever had..
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Man, that's a nice mess of frogs! Congrats on the luck!!! It's hard to beat a good bunch of fried frogs. :wink: About the only thing that's better is fried turtle. I dang near founder myself on fried turtle. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Congratulations on a good night adventure, BUT the snake situation I would of had a Heart Attack on the spot. How do you clean frogs by the way?
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

when we gig a frog we knock him in the head to keep him from jumpn while he hangs on the stringer which is around your shoulder. when we get back to the truck we take them off the stringer and throw them on ice, keepin them whole keeps the leg meat clean for later cleaning.....back at the house ( PIC ) we lay them out and take pics of course,,,then we cut around about where thier belt would be if they wore pants.lol..Then take a pair of pliars and pull there hide off the legs ( keepin the whole works for 2 reasons like i said the meat stays clean in the ice chest and the upper body gives you something to hold on to when your depantsing them lol..the hide comes right of like a pair of skin tights. then we cut the legs of the body at the same place. Then cut off the feet. throw them on ice..when your done we go back and search out the nerve on both sides, one in each leg, its obvious they look like white worms pull on the slowly and they will come right out..WHY??? if you dont when you throw them in hot grease they will kick a bit and hot oil can be dangerous, plus I makes for a better fried leg.
BUS314

wow

Post by BUS314 »

Brings back memories bud-------we used to pond jump out in southwest Ok., with .22 shorts & pop the eyes out while they peek up out in the water. Plenty of times my Dad & I would come home with a tub full. Mom would roll them in egg/flour,salt pepper, n fry em up---MAN MY MOUTH IS WATERIN!!!!!
AKA-ChoctawBusGuy
Excal Phoenix
VariZone
GT II's w/ brass inserts
SlickTrick 125's
STS
Boo String
Double Bull DarkHorse
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

never got that many at one time but man their good with a beer. guys ask me what they taste like and I tell them chicken. lol. allows more for me to hunt and eat
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Frogin, man takes away the summer time blues,it's a sport around here they bet who can get the most in one night,if you ain't first in a pond no sense in going, no pond is safe here :) good eats there Hoss

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Thanks Wes---yep frogn is awsome summertime event, however here we are limited to 15 a man. and there has been many times you get that off one pond. you hunt a creek and you can get loadeeeeeeeddddd with frogs fast..so we try to go as often as we can when they are out on the banks good..
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Hoss Thank You for the info. I just might try that now that i live in Tennessee full time.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

dick195252 wrote:Hoss Thank You for the info. I just might try that now that i live in Tennessee full time.

heard in tenn. the frogs are so big you need a chainsaw to cut the legs off :lol: :lol:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
texan

Post by texan »

Good mess of frogs. I found out froging in the bayous of Lousiana snakes will come to the light. If you turn it off they will go on by. Boy thats hard to do. But it works.

Texan
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Here is a pick from last week hunt. we got 27 this night..this here frog im holding is a nice one my hands are pretty big. Dont let know one fool you the big ones are a bit tough BUT if you marinate them for over 24 hours in a mix of lemon juice, tabasco and teryaki seasoning the meat will flake of the bone. see the one in my hand hes a dandy, you can tell why they call them leopard bull frogs good camo..

[/img]Image
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Man that is going to be some feast . Have not had frog legs in a long while . Great story and pictures !!