Equinox - best broadhead weight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Peach

Equinox - best broadhead weight

Post by Peach »

I bought my equinox last year and used the 150gr Boltcutter that came with the package. Although pleased with what they did, I am looking at a few broadheads in the 100gr zone. I have been used the Firebolts that were also in the kit.

I am now having to buy some new bolts and broadheads, and want to make sure that I get the right broadhead weight for the speed of my bow.
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

You probably want to look more at total arrow weight.

I started out with the 100 gr broadheads. After a lot of experimentation, I ended up at 125gr.

For my set-up on the Exomax . . .I get a complete pass through using a 125gr Stricknine(2" cut, three blade). However, if you use the heavy inserts, then you could achieve an heavier weight with a 100 gr broadhead. I want the largest cutting broadhead that I can get all the way through a whitetail deer.

One thing for sure, you can throw a heavy arrow, fast! 8)

I personally like a wide cut, especially with all that power. Cut 'em big, bleed 'em fast and track 'em short.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

sumner4991 wrote:Cut 'em big, bleed 'em fast and track 'em short.
Good saying. I like that! Image
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

the only issue I see with the firebolt is that the front end is light.. if you were going to use a 100gr head, I'd look for gold tip laser 2's with a brass insert.

granted it will hit good speeds with the firebolt and a 100gr head :D

but a brass insert up front for more weight with the 100grain head would work just fine. Its bascially like running the 150gr head on the aluminum insert. Just a different way of reaching the same weight
Rich

Post by Rich »

Just like everyone has said, it's not the weight of the broadhead it's total weight of the bolt/broadhead. A GT-II with brass inserts and a 100 grain broadhead comes in @410 grain. Plenty enough to put the smackdown on anything that walk on the continent.

Rich
dutchhunter

weight

Post by dutchhunter »

the fire bolts with the 150 is a great combo for deer .there is a lot of ways to reach the same weights but this combo does work .the 225lbs bows can handel the 150s DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Peach

Post by Peach »

Thanks guys, I would use the firebolt/boltcutter option however I am forced to buy new broadheads and bolts this year so I thought I would go to a 100gr Rage and a different bolt. I'll have a look at the GT-II...thanks a million.
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
dutchhunter

i do love the rage heads

Post by dutchhunter »

i shot the rage out of my equinox with firebolts and have had great luck DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver