Belt/Hip Quiver for CB Hunting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bkisel

Belt/Hip Quiver for CB Hunting?

Post by bkisel »

Any of you folks use a belt/hip quiver to carry your bolts/arrows (what is the proper term anyways?)? I use one when I go out with my Bob Lee LB and wondering if it is a viable option for carrying CB arrows. I've used bow quivers for several other bows but ALWAYS remove them once posted. When I get a crossbow I figure I'll be doing the same so wouldn't a hip quiver be a viable option for CB hunting?

Thanks...
xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

i use it for 3D but i think it might be a bit noisy for hunting, the bolts rattle around a fair bit.
Team Dryfire
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

xbowkidd wrote:i use it for 3D but i think it might be a bit noisy for hunting, the bolts rattle around a fair bit.
Don't think that would be the case with my BH hip quiver. Quiver holds six arrows fanned out and held in place with rubber "clips". Haven't measured but clips are positioned maybe 6-8 inches up from the arrow tips. Also, I've 2 other hip field type quivers, the CB 4 arrow quiver might fit right into the quiver and leave the field quiver pocket available for other stuff. Hope you get what I mean.

Take care...
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I use a hip quiver, cab, bass pro, gander have a few,I don't want anything on my bow but a scope :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I wear a Maxpedition pack, the belt slips perfectly through the factory quiver, it hugs my leg and protects the arrows.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

I think it would be fine. I have one I use for my recurve. Works well may try it for my xbow.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a broadhead hip quiver

I've used the Excal bow quiver and the Dan Miller bow quiver and I find the hip quiver works much better for me.
wabi
sumner4991

Re: post sub

Post by sumner4991 »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:I don't want anything on my bow but a scope :)

Wes
Same here . . .only I just basically tie the factory quiver around my waist. I take it off when I'm in a blind. Works just fine.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i always just remove them from my bow.. the hip one would work at all for me since I walk way to much and I dont like my arrows rubbing on branches and twigs all day long. I just want unrestricted movement :D

it only takes .09 seconds to remove the quiver from your bow when in stand also :P

oh and plus if you dont happen to have your bow loaded, its far less movement moving an arrow from your bow quiver than reaching down to your hip. I can actaully get one out on my bow and load while having the scope on the deer :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

I didn't go into detail about how the hip quiver works, but perhaps I should.

The quiver when on the belt rides so the arrows are positioned behind me. The arrows do not tend to snag on brush, or slap against limbs. If the front arrow does hit a limb or brush it simply pushes (rotates) the quiver slightly further back around me and doesn't cause any problems. (I usually do not tie the leg strap to my leg, but if you do - keep it somewhat loose)
The belt loop has 2 snaps that allow it to be easily removed from my belt. I can snap it off my belt and snap it on to the haul-up rope easily if I'm stand hunting. Once in the stand (or blind) it's easy to snap it on a hook or the shooting rail of my stand.

I have used a hip quiver for many years (use them for my longbows & recurves, too) and have a "system" of loading arrows into the quiver for hunting. The front two arrows are blunts or field tips for practice. The back 4 arrows (this is for deer hunting) are broadheads. I can reach either to the front for practice (or unloading the crossbow) or the rear for getting a broadhead if I see a deer. The movement in reaching for an arrow is small, and mostly concealed by my body. It is quick, quiet, and requires no difficult thought process, or visual confirmation to grab the type arrow I want.

About the only problem with a hip quiver is if you squat down with the quiver tied tightly to your leg. If it is tied tightly it tends to flare out to the side and then the arrows can contact brush and be pulled out of the rubber grippers. (especially small diameter carbons - not a problem for crossbow arrows)

I realize hip quivers aren't for everyone, but if you have used one in the past and liked it I'm sure it will work fine for your crossbow hunting, too.

If you are buying a new one I'd be sure to get one with the snaps on the belt loop.
wabi
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Ditto x2 Wabi, I haven't had a quiver on any kind of bow over well over 30yrs now

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
sumner4991

Re: post sub

Post by sumner4991 »

Limbs and Bolts wrote:Ditto x2 Wabi, I haven't had a quiver on any kind of bow over well over 30yrs now

Wes
X3 . . .mine also rides behind me like wabi described. . .no issue with it hanging up, if I can get the crossbow through, the quiver is easy. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

I obviously use the groundpounder mount. I do remove the quiver though when I get to where ever I'm hunting. But the thought of a hip quiver to me with alot of walking and in brush I would think that the constant moving of your leg plus being lower to the ground and brush, chances of knocking bolts loose would be greater. I do like my mount for walking and your xbow being slung on your back. It is up high and out of the way and not poking you in the back like the factory mount. Not trying to make this sound like a sales pitch but just my experience in the field. And I have used a hip quiver while vertical bow hunting so I have had experience with one of these too.
Why ride when you can walk!
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I bought a hip quiver, removed the styrafoam insert for the boradheads, cut the rubber fasteners for the shafts then inserted and bolted in the excalibur quiver that has the two shaft holders plus the broadhead insert. Was sick and tired of dropping bolts all over the place. The Newer excal quiver is much better than the original (only one set of shaft fasteners) that came with my exocet 200 a few years back but I don't like mounting it on the X Bow. Prefer the hip quiver. Now have best of both worlds and have not lost a bolt yet.

F