DIY small game blunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

shafferm

DIY small game blunt

Post by shafferm »

This was an idea for a blunt tip design that my father asked me to build for him and I wanted to share it with everybody here.

These blunt tips are made by starting with a regular 100 grain field tip. The first step is to trim approximately one quarter of the tip, I used a small Harborfreight cut off saw with an abrasive cutting wheel and I screwed the field tip into a junk arrow to help give more holding power.

The next step is to drill two 1/8 inch diameter holes in the trimmed field tip. Using the vise I first start the hole closest to the insert with a center drill and then finish with the 1/8th inch drill bit.

Then I rotate it 90 degrees to drill the next 1/8th inch hole. I use a drill bit to help me make sure that the second hole is going to be at a right angle to the first, and again start the hole with the center drill and then finish it with the 1/8th inch bit.

Adding the roll pins is next and I am using 1/8th inch diameter by 1 inch long pins. Here you tap them in until they are centered and you have an inexpensive blunt tip that is ready to go. In some of the photos I have the slots pointing towards the front. I decided later that having them towards the back would be better and just drifted them out and realigned them.

It makes for a very close fit with two pins in the end.

The finished product with the slots pointing towards the back.

They penetrate into pine about a quarter inch and do not become embedded, however they are tough on arrows when shooting at almost point blank range, although the pins bent back a bit, it still is quite shootable. The finished weight on these was right around 102 grains, so very little change in overall weight. I haven't had a chance to play around with seeing how well they fly at longer distances or with starting with a heavier field tip.

I think these will do great on small game, and look forward to giving them a try out this coming season.

-M
mikej

Post by mikej »

neat idea
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I would not want to be a Wabbit on the receiving end of that Baby :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Fox

Post by Fox »

Maybe fishing arrows with that thing, or just not shoot it into a 2x4, ha ha ha.

Good work
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Oh, Goody, another 'tweaker'. :D You guys constantly out do each other and we all benefit! Thanks!
"Eze 18:21"
munch

Post by munch »

i saw some guys a couple years ago when we where moose hunting that carry an old arrow that hand a penny with a hole in it on the end just screw out the tip and slide it threw the hole in the penny and screw it back in very cheap and you can make 10 in 5 min. these guys where hunting birds with them and they flew good enough for that
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook