Christmas in July

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Undertaker

Christmas in July

Post by Undertaker »

Just arrived today.....

Very nice gentlemen. The strings are absolutely beautiful Boo. The colors are my University of Florida's- Gator orange and blue. Simply fabulous. The arrows are very nice Crazyfarmer. I can really notice those brass inserts. Exactly what you said. Can't wait to see what these devils will do.

So far, everything you folks have said has been spot on. I have ordered four items of accessory for my Vortex from this site, and all have been first rate. Thank you one and all. Paul
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
Big John

v

Post by Big John »

Yep!! :) 8) Them strings sure are pretty, don't surprise me though, Boo' s strings are Top Notch!! You can put one on, and put the other on display in a nice wall rack. :wink:
Crazy's Bolt work is also looking real good! Have Fun! Merry XMas!!!!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Real McCoy

Post by Real McCoy »

Undertaker - Orange and blue are not bad, but I am kinda partial to purple and gold. :wink:
Southern Born and Bred
Exomax
Varizone
Groundpounder

A man who is good enough to shed his blood
for his country is good enough to be given a
square deal afterwards - Teddy Roosevelt
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Very nice and enjoy. I have a Boo string and some day i will get some Crazyfarmer Bolts. Have to shoot up what i have first :lol: There is no junk on this Forum, All Top Shelf :)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The yellow/black "Bumblebee's" are 5 fps faster than any other color combo.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Eze 18:21"
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Got home last night and decided to try out the new arrows. Noticed that the loading was different with smaller vanes vs. the stock arrows vanes. Lined up my target at thirty yards and loosed the arrow. They fell four inches, roughly, further than the stock arrows at that range. They also penetrated into the bag target further.

I then calculated my FOC. Overall with 100 grain field point, arrows are 21". Center is 7" back from tip of tip. With half way being 10.5", I entered 21" overall and 13.5" from nock to balance point and got 14% FOC. Which probably is pretty good for hunting.

I had been considering using 125 grain mechanical broadheads. But will buy field points of the 125 grain variety before deciding. Want to see what the trajectory is and how that works with my scope at the various ranges. If the drop is too much with 125's, then the 100's will be the choice.

The arrows did not make a noticible difference in vibration dampening or noise. Perhaps they did and I didn't notice.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

So......I get to thinking..........about how I want my bow to shoot.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

So I did get some 125's today and I did screw them in and shoot. The scope had still not been adjusted for the new arrow. The arrows fell roughly the same as they did with 100 grain field tips.

I adjusted the scope to work at 30 yards.

Then I backed off to 40 yards to see what effect the heavier tips would have on my scope setting. They all hit low, a couple of inches. Then I took off the 125's and screwed on the 100's again and shot at 40. The arrows landed in the target, which means that for broadhead weight....I'm using 100 grain heads. :wink:

But I keep comming back to an old issue. Surely there has to be a way to reduce vibration in our bows. Noise may never go away, and I don't think it is that important anyways, but now vibration dampening, that's a whole other story. I believe it is worth at least a try at it.

I give you my attempt.

Don't laugh out load- all at once. It works for me baby. The nipple on the NGSS is new, designed for another STS system. It is slightly tougher, less soft, than the original. The blue devil is a BowJax Stabilizer dampener, cost $ 8 a pair, several colors available. I simply spit on them and slid it onto the nipple and then onto the NGSS post.

The red devils are simply slid down onto the GroundPounder quiver mount riser thingies. That is how vertical bows reduce vibration, they add stabilizers. Just invision the two risers as two stabilizers.

Arrows clear, scope view is clear, weight unknown. Bow shoots differently now. Hard to describe, but the vibrations feel like they are getting dampened. Room to add another bowjax on the risers, but not sure if it would really add much. Easier to watch the arrow fly as viewed through the scope.

Also found some rubber stickum type thingies at the hardware store, the section that has sliders for the bottoms of chairs. Used them to buffer where the NGSS attaches to the bows riser, where the horsehoe shaped quiver mount attaches to the two riser thingies, and under the plastic sleeve that holds the quiver itself.

Shot bow with arrows in quiver.....smooth and nice. The sound is more deadened, but still quite discernable. I can now hear the arrow retainer thingie clanking on the rail after the shot. Gonna fix that, too.

These things were targeted at the one area where all the vibrations are generated, the riser itself. Alot happens there all at once, and it is a very small piece of metal as it is. I tried to deaden it, instead of the limbs or the string.

Pictures show where I now have installed my Boo string. :wink:

Next.....see how that affects the amount of vibration I feel as I shoot, and what happens to the arrows. Accuracy is fabulous already, I am now looking for sick. The new arrows are killing my bag target. They defintely are for hunting and killing things. Love them.

I would suggest that anyone reading this dribble pay close attention to my signature line. But I believe an Ibex would be awesome. Don't blame me if you waste $16 buying some dampeners and you don't like them. Probably be chasing an entirely new rabbit in a few months anyways.

But the bow is different from what it was when it first arrived. I have accessorized it, and dolled it up, and maybe even defiled it too, but it is a machine, and I am very grateful to call her mine.

Aint' she pretty ...my own little serial killer. :lol:

BTW- be easy with me, I'm new at this stuff. I also want to contribute.
mikej

Post by mikej »

looks good
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

You know that you can take that sticker off on the back of the stock. It seems like no one takes if off. is there something that im missing?
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
lscha

Post by lscha »

Yummy!!! :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts