which broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

912zeus912

which broadheads

Post by 912zeus912 »

I just bought a new equinox i have heard that expandables are not the way to go with a crossbow.so from those of you that have actually shot game with your crossbows which one fixed or expandables
buzzards gotta eat too!(JOSIE WELLS)
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum, i use spitfire 100 grain expandables with my phoenix with good results
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum. I use Wasp Hammer-SSI 125 grain fixed blade out of my Exomax.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
rt2bowhunter

G5 Tekans

Post by rt2bowhunter »

The new ones.These are not cheap. But they are tough I traded for some used. The one on the right was the most used.I shot the head out of a strykeforce a lot. It never failed in no way not one time. The faults the rubber O ring sometimes gets cut. You can get them at the hardware store. Once the blades open there open they dont fold back toward the tip. But they come with practice blades that dont open.
Because its all stainless i have resharpened them. the one on the right took 2 turkeys and a ground hog this past spring and was the most used (practice tip). As you can see (the one on the left is new) its a little wore. But it still shoots right with my field tips.And is sharp and ready for deer season. It has a 1 1/2" cut plus a 1/2" cut on contact tip. If it did fail to open you still have a 1/2"x 3/4" 4 blade head. Plus its rear deployment.
This is my go to head this year.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

rage 3 blades here with no issues at all:)
M&M

Post by M&M »

another vote for spitfires I have shot them for three seasons so far and they perform excellent on deer and shoot very accurately
M&M
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Expandables work great out of my crossbows, so the information you got was wrong.

Here are my favorite three broadheads. I choose to hunt Whitetail with the Stricknines because they bring down the animal in a hurry. You can guess why . . .

From left to right . . .Stricknine, Spitfire, and the Slick Trick.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I like Montec G5s for there flight, cut on impact design, no moving parts to worry about keeping up with, and easy to sharpen. But there is alot of broadheads that will work really well including expandables..Rocket buckblasters are my choice of expandables
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Didnt the rage head have some warranty issues? ex:opening in flight? I am thinking of trying some expandables this fall.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
912zeus912

which broadheads

Post by 912zeus912 »

I appreciate all the info!And also all the welcomes this is an awesome forum i have learned alot from reading it.thanks again
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

one shot scott wrote:Didnt the rage head have some warranty issues? ex:opening in flight? I am thinking of trying some expandables this fall.
Yes . . .there was an issue, but it has been resolved. The expandable guys have done a good job upgrading their product over the last year or two.

I use a single rubber band on all my expandables. The dental rubberbands. SH4 Elastics 4mm 3/16 Super Heavy 6oz from GAC International. About any kid with braces on their teeth have more than they will ever use. These do a great job . . .never had one open prematurely and never had one not to open. The rubberband just slides up the ferrule and is waiting to be used again(but, I always replace them when hunting).

I favor expandables like the Stricknine because they are single lever which means they are simple in design with very few moving parts. Deploying from the front doesn't bother me because I have more than enough power to open the blades and punch it all the way through a whitetail. The blades are sharpe . . .not as strong as some of the fixed blade models. However, I like the fact that if the blade hits a solid bone, then it will bend around the bone and keep cutting tissue. The more cutting , the better . . .which brings me to why I love the big 2" cut.

I hunt in fairly heavy brush . . .I can't do long tracking jobs.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
912zeus912

which broadheads

Post by 912zeus912 »

so if i go wiyh striknine or spitfire what grain would you reccomend for an 09 equinox and firebolts that came with it?
michiganman

heads

Post by michiganman »

check my post on rocket heads .i tested 3 heads out to 40 yards.results were all three shot with field tips.i also shot a doe,and turkey this spring with the rocket sidewinder.

tested the new rocket steel head 1.5" cut.the rocket sidewinder 1.5" cut and the rocket 125 grain 2" stricknine.we have been bow hunting with these heads for years,and yes they are shooting great through my cross bow.i will be shooting stricknines this fall.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
sumner4991

Re: which broadheads

Post by sumner4991 »

912zeus912 wrote:so if i go wiyh striknine or spitfire what grain would you reccomend for an 09 equinox and firebolts that came with it?
The Stricknines are 125gr only. I perfer the 125 gr and that's all I shoot now.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
michiganman

stricknine

Post by michiganman »

stricknine with firebolts and brass inserts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff