Good footing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Canabow

Good footing

Post by Canabow »

Well I learned a valuable lesson yesterday. One must pay attention when placing ones foot into the stirrup. I was cocking my crossbow when my foot slipped out of my stirrup, this caused the bow to fly up and strike me in the midsection. I was lucky it was early in the draw or it would of left even a bigger bruise.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
lscha

Post by lscha »

You ARE lucky. When someone shoots my bow I watch how they put their foot in the stirrup. If it isn't in far enough, I stop them.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Gotta love the {Crankaroo} :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
texan

Post by texan »

Thanks for the warning. I am a moccasin wearer my self.
Better keep my boots on.

Texan
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

bstout wrote:Yeah! :shock:
Wrapping the rope around the safety happens to me all the time. I have always caught it but hate to see what would happen if I did not. Slipping on the stirup I have never tried, but OH that must HURT!!!!!
It's almost happened to me in the past also.

I pay super close attention now making sure my foot is well into the stirrup and all of the angles are correct before pulling on my cocking aid.

I also do a visual inspection tracing the entire path of my cocking aid string. How many folks have tried to cock their crossbow with the rope cocking string wrapped around the back of the safety instead of the groove in the stock? More than would care to admit it I'm sure (me).

I found out the hard way that trying to cock my crossbow wearing soft moccasins isn't very bright either. I did extensive foot muscle damage to the ball of my right foot making it super sensitive to walk on for about a month.

Wearing the correct foot wear (don't try cocking your bow barefoot) when cocking ones crossbow is equally as important as making sure your foot is correctly positioned in the stirrup.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I did pretty much the same thing about a month or so ago. The difference was that it was after a rain, the foot stirrup was wet and the bottom of my shoe was wet. Thing slipped off my foot when I was about half through with the draw. :shock: I was lucky in that the butt of the stock caught my right forearm only. Left one heck of a bruise and some nice red marks from the ridges on the butt. :lol:

Since then, I make sure my foot it further up into the stirrup and even tip my foot forwards some if the grass is wet. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

That's one of the reasons I now wear my sturdy hiking boots for 3D.
My first 3D I wore flip-flops... wasn't the best idea. :oops: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mikej

Post by mikej »

i have tried cocking with the rope cocker around the safety as well as cocking in bare feet and sandles none of which are a good idea :lol:
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have always had trouble with my hunting/Winter boots on.
I wear size 16 and with 2000 grams of insulation the boot is pretty big and barely fits in the stirup.I would like a larger stirup.

Glad your ok.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
mikej

Post by mikej »

wow sax you must be a big guy, i could fit both of my feet in a size 16. :lol: :lol:
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

A good footing on the stirup is one of the 1st leasons I give to people new to crossbows . Especially when hunting , larger shoes or boots and some mud in the stirup can give a person an awfully sore mouth . Next leason is to keep your finger away from the string and the rail .

Sax:
Size 16 :shock: I thought my sons #13 EEE were big . We could hire the 2 of you out to stomp out forest fires :lol:
bbbwb

Good Footing

Post by bbbwb »

Sax:
Very interesting about your shoe size ---- This a testament to the fact that "you have a good understanding." LOL

Now don't everybody groan at once.

bbbwb