what would you do

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shotnbeer

what would you do

Post by Shotnbeer »

I've asked this question to alot of my hunting buddys. True story.

You take your nephew or niece out hunting with you and tell them they have the first shot. While you're sitting there, the biggest buck you have ever seen walks out well with in range. The kid is shaking like a dog that just got out of a pond then calms down a tad.

Do you let him/her shot or do you take the shot? I'll give my answer
(the true one) after I see some replies. :)
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

it depends.. i know the deer pretty well in my area so more or less I wouldnt be hunting the same spot as some of the bigger deer are. Im not greedy, but I just have hot spots that are mine alone. I'd have them in a location were doe and small bucks are.. now if big daddy walks out, I'd do my best to make sure THEY get the best shot. The idea of the hunt was for them to get a shot. I wouldnt take a gun from someone in that situation. Now if it was a shot they couldnt make or something along those lines, then I may take a shot. But thats IF its no way they can get on that deer to shoot:)

so yes, they would get the shot at the dream buck:)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I take the shot. Honestly . . .there is no need to wound that animal . . .I would take the shot and, most likely, miss it completely. Dang kid would have me blackmailed for the rest of my life. I'd just set up an automatic draft. :lol: :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sumner4991 wrote:I take the shot. Honestly . . .there is no need to wound that animal . . .I would take the shot and, most likely, miss it completely. Dang kid would have me blackmailed for the rest of my life. I'd just set up an automatic draft. :lol: :lol:
you might as well knock the kid out and when they awake, tell them you didnt know the gun kicked that hard :P :P

LMAO...
philman

Post by philman »

Let them shoot. Thats why you took them out isn't it? That kid will never forget that hunt, and will probably think you are the best hunter in the universe. Just tell em you get the antlers. :lol: :lol: JUST KIDDING! JUST KIDDING!
Last edited by philman on Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fox

Post by Fox »

Let the kid do it, my dad used to take me out and jump on all the brush piles so I could miss the rabbits as they ran out. My dad is roud to have us hunting with him and I know I have not been hunting for long, but I am proud to be out there with him.
It does not even matter if we get anything, if we do there is just a lot more work to do.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

crazyfarmer wrote:
you might as well knock the kid out and when they awake, tell them you didnt know the gun kicked that hard :P :P

LMAO...
That's an even better idea! :lol:

You know I was kidding . . .I'd have to let the kid shoot . . .hit or a miss, doesn't matter, it's still going to be the story of a lifetime. Just a matter of having or not having horns. :wink:

Don't tell us the answer till tomorrow . . .let us guess. Is this story about you?
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Re: what would you do

Post by Pydpiper »

Shotnbeer wrote:
*snip* tell them they have the first shot. *snip*

*snip* Do you let him/her shot or do you take the shot? *snip*
That's a gimme question, it comes down to integrity, not hunting. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
lscha

Post by lscha »

I'd have to let the kid decide if he/she was confident enough to take the shot. If they said yes, I'd let them do it.

Crazyfarmer, I had to laugh out loud at that one!!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

100% the kid For me any more how is more important than what. The memories of my sons 10 point and my Nephew 8 point are the best hunts i have had.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

You let the tag-along take the shot, always. Heck, I've done that with adults. If I have someone alongside me, they always shoot first if I was the one who invited them out.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

You fulfill your promise and WORD and let the Youngster take the shot :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Grizzly Adam

Re: what would you do

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Shotnbeer wrote: Do you let him/her shot or do you take the shot?
Of course I would let the kid shoot. I don't see a choice here. If I said I would, then I should ... right? :D
Grizz
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

sumner4991 wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:

LMAO...
That's an even better idea! :lol:

You know I was kidding . . .I'd have to let the kid shoot . . .hit or a miss, doesn't matter, it's still going to be the story of a lifetime. Just a matter of having or not having horns. :wink:

Don't tell us the answer till tomorrow . . .let us guess. Is this story about you?
could just take the shell out of their gun... then when it goes click, you can say your gun is broke so let me shoot mine at him :P

yes, im planning on things I can do to my lil girl if a 160inch beast walks out.. LMAO :P
mikej

Post by mikej »

i would let the kid take the shot if he felt comfortable taking it
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective