Home made target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Nicklas021

Home made target

Post by Nicklas021 »

Hi all :D

Is there anyone here who made their own target? In this case, I have two questions:
1. What matrial did you use?
2. How long will it last compared with a purchased target?

/Nicklas
mikej

Post by mikej »

i have used foam coolers and feed bags stuffed with old clothes. both work very well and are really cheap and easy to build. just make sure you remove the zippers and rivets
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

I bought my latest target but in the past I used a nylon feed bag and filled with old t-shirts fm Goodwill ( for field points)
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
Esox

Post by Esox »

For field points a feed bag with clothes works well... For broadheads I like one of the block type targets specifically made for crossbows...

Oh yeah... Make sure you fill the feed bag with old clothes that you really don't want and don't accidently use clothes from the dirty laundry pile.....

Some people get very upset....
Nicklas021

Post by Nicklas021 »

Esox wrote:For field points a feed bag with clothes works well... For broadheads I like one of the block type targets specifically made for crossbows...

Oh yeah... Make sure you fill the feed bag with old clothes that you really don't want and don't accidently use clothes from the dirty laundry pile.....

Some people get very upset....
:lol: I will only use my girlfriends Ralph Lauren clothes from the closet :roll: :roll:
Excal Equinox
Varizone
Firebolts
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use a concrete ornamental deer, got it off the neighbours front lawn, so it was cheap.
It seems to last forever, the paint is chipped in a few spots, but it is holding up well. I am thinking about repainting it, or just turning it around, just to get a few more years from it.
However, there is a downside, it is hell on an arrow. Right about the time you realize your arrow is shooting perfect, it is time to make a new one.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Gimpaw

Post by Gimpaw »

Feild points... the feed bag works great. I stuffed mine with old blue jeans, t-shirts and peices of carpet.

As written, take the bottons, rivets and zippers off first.
"I was young and foolish; now I'm old and foolisher".
Mark Twain
mikej

Post by mikej »

doesn't anybody else shoot broadheads into their feed bag target? mine works great with broadheads also
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Here's the one I made, used a mesh bag filled it with a bunch of old clothes about one foot thick put some camping mat foam in to give it a flat front.
Put it in a box to hold it in place.
Haven't shot broad heads at it but can't see it taking too well to those.
Tenpoint Matrix
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

mikej wrote:doesn't anybody else shoot broadheads into their feed bag target? mine works great with broadheads also
Hey Mike,

My feedbag target is stuffed with old feedbags. Its great with practice points, but broadheads penetrate deep and are a pain to remove. What's your target stuffed with?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
lscha

Post by lscha »

Pydpiper wrote:I use a concrete ornamental deer, got it off the neighbours front lawn, so it was cheap.
It seems to last forever, the paint is chipped in a few spots, but it is holding up well. I am thinking about repainting it, or just turning it around, just to get a few more years from it.
However, there is a downside, it is hell on an arrow. Right about the time you realize your arrow is shooting perfect, it is time to make a new one.
So, how is it with broadheads?
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Just a thought; anybody ever tried using an old phonebook? For example, if you duct-taped a phonebook (or two) to the front of a bag target, I wonder if the density of the phonebook backed by the shock-absorption of the bag might be a good broadhead stopper?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
ManX

Post by ManX »

Hope mine will be usefull for someome

http://venatores.mastertopforum.net/mcm ... vt421.html

sorry for English mistakes
regards
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ManX850/exorealtree-1.jpg[/img] ExomanX, Meopta 3100,[url=http://www.wolfszeit.com/images/WO.Mo.09-li..JPG]Wolfszeit[/url] scope mount, produce in ManX Factory spa: shock absorbers, 48 fff , 2216xx78 27% foc
bbbwb

Homemade Target

Post by bbbwb »

I have used with very good results a poly feed or grain bag stuffed very tight with old fiberglass screening from windows and doors. I asked the local hardware store to save the old mesh screen when re -screening . I then use a pizza box, screw nailed into the bag of screening for a base for paper targets. With home made magic marker drawn paper targets or purchased targets, I stick pin these to the pizza box and shoot away. I use the field points only and if you pack the target well, It is not a problem to remove them as they will not penetrate very far. It is very inexpensive.

bbbwb
mikej

Post by mikej »

one is filled with old clothes ( mostly t shirts) the other is filled with insulation